Post Pro

Toast Pro 19 - Anyone brave enough to purchase after owning Toast Pro 18?

We all know the problems we encountered with Toast Pro 18 such as not being able to burn a video file above MP4 quality, so has anyone bit the bullet and purchased V.19?

I'm not going to tech support for Roxio this time. LOL! 

But obviously we need an authoring program that actually works. Suggestions for alternatives to Roxio Toast? Everything we have used has been a messy workaround or a not-so-elegant export from our editing programs.

Matt

Not me and not at this price. I missed 18 as well as I couldn’t see any compelling reason to upgrade from v17.  

Ok, I took the plunge and bought Toast19. 
And even tho it now successfully imports Apple Pro Res flies without crashing, it’s burning a weird letterbox around SD DVD video files.

Arghhh. I’m submitting this to support to see what they say.
I maybe demanding an immediate refund, again like I did with Toast 18.

I bought 18 four months ago.. and never got my issue resolved. I still own my license but unless they're offering a steep discount (i.e. free) I'm not upgrading to 19.

Fool me once... 

I'm thinking about upgrading to Toast 19.. like I did from 15 to 16 to 17 and to 18...  I"ve just about given up on getting a working version of toast to burn blu rays. I did get a message from Corel that said "Buy it.. if it doesn't work for you get a refund".

Matthew Caswell, SMSgt, USAF (retired)

Edited by Matt Caz

6 hours ago, Matt Caz said:

I did get a message from Corel that said "Buy it.. if it doesn't work for you get a refund".

Roxio has always offered a 30 day like it or return it offer if you buy the software from them!

1.thumb.png.a173afd8a6de96132bdc26761c41527f.png

1 hour ago, cdanteek said:

Roxio has always offered a 30 day like it or return it offer if you buy the software from them!

I'm aware of that. I had purchased 18 and returned it.. then they told me they fixed the issues and I bought it again.  Not fixed.  The 30 day refund should be the exception, not the rule. 

Edited by Matt Caz

1 hour ago, cdanteek said:

Have you tried to burn a blu ray with 19? I'd be curious to know if you got any errors during the process.

Thanks

Matt

1 minute ago, cdanteek said:

Matt,  no I'm a windows guy.

Can I ask if you burn blu rays and what windows program you use. My mac has 128GB ram and I run Win 10 under parallels for other software.

I use Roxio Creator 2012 Videowave, send it to My DVD and make an image file, then use ImgBurn "freeware' to burn to disc.

Just now, cdanteek said:

I use Roxio Creator 2012 Videowave, send it to My DVD and make an image file, then use ImgBurn "freeware' to burn to disc.

Thank you for your time to reply. Have a great day

i bought (and got burned by the qualify of) Toast 18 four months ago.. 

Now I'm supposed to pay 99 bucks again?  If they want to give me a free upgrade I'll try it.. but I'm not paying the 99 bucks again.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidO1138 said:

i bought (and got burned by the qualify of) Toast 18 four months ago.. 

Now I'm supposed to pay 99 bucks again?  If they want to give me a free upgrade I'll try it.. but I'm not paying the 99 bucks again.

Used to be able to burn a blu ray without re-encoding H264 files.. Now no matter what I choose it wants to re-encode, and when I load a 4.5GB file or any file, it shows about 1/10th of the size and the image burn fails.  I was really hoping they fixed it in 19 but I'm not going to spend $99 only to have to ask for a refund. I'll wait and watch the V19 threads.

SUCCESS!  I have spent the last 7 hours trying different combinations of settings to see if I can actually get a Blu Ray burned from a file that was created in OBS for Mac.

I have included screenshots of the settings I used and when I was done massaging it, I was able to bring it into Toast 18 and it actually showed the correct file size and then I was able to burn a working Toast Disc Image and it DID NOT try and re-encode the file.

I recorded it as .mkv as you can see in the settings.. then Using the program MKVtools, I changed the audio to AC3, 448 bit rate and saved it back to disk. 

Then I used tsMuxerGUI to convert it from .mkv to .m2ts and saved it back out.

It seems that Toast doesn't like 30fps videos because it's looking for the NTSC default 29.97 fps.

UPDATE: One thing I've noticed is now when I click on edit, the video isn't viewable, but the BluRay burns and plays just fine.  When you click on EDIT in Toast Pro 17 it does show the video where you can set in and out marks for the burn. Seems like it's a V18 issue.

Toast 17.4 (5589) Update Kills viewing video in the edit screen!  I'm thinking the same thing happened in V18.

OBSMacVideoSettings.png

OBSMac Output Settings.png

Edited by Matt Caz
  • Thanks 1

For a Mac burning program it is a shame that version 18 did NOT burn Apple ProRes.

Glad to see it is now Catalina compatible one month before Big Sur!   🤔

Will Toast Pro 20 work on Apple Silicon? I do doubt so. 

Edited by Desert
Type error

On 10/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, Desert said:

For a Mac burning program it is a shame that version 18 did NOT burn Apple ProRes.

Glad to see it is now Catalina compatible one month before Big Sur!   🤔

Will Toast Pro 20 work on Apple Silicon? I do doubt so. 

Roxio will know Apple are bringing out Big Sur shortly so why no mention? Catalina compatible but no mention of being ready for what comes next. Hold off would seem sensible to me.