dfisc

Converting a Home Video production to a NAS system

Question

Years ago I created dozens of DVD Home Videos using Roxio Creator 2011 and now I want to convert them to use on my Synology NAS system but the conversion process will only copy the video and not the whole production with title page, audio and scene selection buttons. Is there a way to make the full conversion? I have copied all the DVDs to my computer as .ISO, it is my understanding the NAS requires H.264 or MPEG4

3 answers to this question

DFisc,

a NAS is a storage device which is accessible by your network.     Mine allows me to either assign it a drive letter from my computer, or in some cases to run programs on the NAS and see the results on the computer.     Which are you trying to do?

In either event, you have made standard DVDs in Creator 2011 and copied them to your computer as standard ISO files.  Roxio's work was finished when you made the DVDs.  Going forward it's up to Synology how you use them, so you'll need to get instructions from Synology if you want to play them on your NAS box.

Have you tried storing your ISOs on your NAS appliance, assigning it a drive letter, and playing the ISOs with VLC player in Windows?   That's what I do.

Regards, Brendon

Thanks for the quick response.  You are correct Roxio has done their part; I have created a full set of Home Videos, so maybe my problem is else where.  All the videos are backed up on the NAS system and I am able to play them on my computer as expected, now I want to stream them to my Samsung TV and that is where my problem is; it's their Videostation that doesn't recognize the Home Video. I was hoping there was a simple trick I was missing when trying to convert the created videos, but maybe I shouldn't be using their Videostation.  Thanks again.

I saw a thread on Reddit  (HERE) which gives information about streaming video from a Synology NAS to a Samsung smart TV.     I couldn't follow it well since I have different brands of NAS and TV, but that sort of discussion might lead you to what you're looking for.   I hope so.