joca

convert DVD to video for edit

Question

After a period of not using my PC or Roxio due to not having any projects and house rebuild I need to convert a homemade DVD back to video for editing in videowave due to a bereavement. Please how do I do this using Roxio NXT 5 then I will be able to get it back to a DVD

7 answers to this question

Hello Johnnie,

I don't have NXT 5 on my system now, but ideally if you have made a project and want to edit it later you will keep the project and all the source files intact and in the same place as they were when you made it.  :)

Since nothing is ever ideal and you've deleted the old project and perhaps even its source files, try this:-

-put your DVD in your optical drive, and copy the Video_TS folder and its contents into a folder on your hard drive. (Ignore Audio_TS or Roxioplasma if you see them)

-Run Videowave, start a new project, and go to Add Photo/Video. Add VIDEO_TS.IFO from your VIDEO_TS folder to your new project, and that should import your video.   Then you should be able to make your new edits and subsequently your new DVD.

Regards, Brendon

Thank you Brandon that's great. I will try this later today. It is right I did not save the raw file it was awhile ago when I was making vid/dvd for our local variety group and other local stuff so when done I disposed of the files. I will post how I got on thanks again

Johnnie

On 11/23/2020 at 5:51 AM, Brendon said:

Hello Johnnie,

I don't have NXT 5 on my system now, but ideally if you have made a project and want to edit it later you will keep the project and all the source files intact and in the same place as they were when you made it.  :)

Since nothing is ever ideal and you've deleted the old project and perhaps even its source files, try this:-

-put your DVD in your optical drive, and copy the Video_TS folder and its contents into a folder on your hard drive. (Ignore Audio_TS or Roxioplasma if you see them)

-Run Videowave, start a new project, and go to Add Photo/Video. Add VIDEO_TS.IFO from your VIDEO_TS folder to your new project, and that should import your video.   Then you should be able to make your new edits and subsequently your new DVD.

Regards, Brendon

Hi Again Brendon I am afraid I have been awile because I have had problems with  videowave and also my wireless adapter but have solved that however I have now reinstalled NXT5 pro and videowave now works. I now have a problem because VIDEO_TS_.IFO wont load into videowave it just seems that everything I solve throws up a new problem. I did as you said above but it seems I am still stuck. Is there any other way I can convert the dvd contents to get it into videowave so that I can edit and make a new vid/dvd the dvd is NOT protected any help would be received gratefully Regards Johnnie

Is there an easy to use DVD contents (not protected) to mp4 converter that I can rip these files. I have a dvd of a friend in a stage performance of our local operatic society. Sadly my friend has passed away and I would like to snatch his performances to create a in the memory tofdvd disk but I cant get it to load into videowave to edit

Regards

Jphnnie

Johnnie, since you need to get the video into Videowave, it should be easier to import it, rather than converting to MP4 and then importing it over again.

How did you try to load the video?  If you run Videowave and click on Add Photo/Video, then navigate to your saved copy of VIDEO_TS you should see something like this.

1380726373_1addphoto.jpg.bbfccc28797142350bf2fed70ecb0d12.jpg

Selecting ANY of the files in there should bring up this Import window.   

1742510804_2importmovie.jpg.170a14654d653f96433d5b90155b8d89.jpg

If your DVD has several sections you might have to pick and choose to find the part you want.   You select the movie you want (I only have one here) and click OK.  Your clip should be imported, and you can go to work on editing it if needed.

If for some reason Videowave won't play ball and you want to convert DVD to MP4, try a Google search on "converting a dvd to mp4 for free" and you should get several suggestions.   Please let us know how you get on, either way.

Brendon

Thank you Brendon. I even got in touch with Corel initially first by a chatline then by phone to ask how to do it in nxt5 pro and all they wanted to do was to wind me into NXT8 but as I had not used roxio for a while but I had this request from a friend so I felt I wanted to help BUT to be honest I don't do enough these days to warrant an upgrade so I came on here which I should have done in the first place. I had problems from the start because almost all my stuff these days I use a mac bk pro but when I went to my pc first the wireless adapter had gone tits up so I replaced that then videowave wouldn't cooperate even a repair so I did a complete reinstall of NXT before I would consider a upgrade (can't let a friend down) so now videowave is working.

I have tried what you suggested in the first place and did exactly as you have suggested in your latest advice but it will not move beyond the "Import Movies from VOB screen" so I have now taken your advice and looking through Google for a converter. I will let you know how I get on thank's for your help much appreciated

Regards Johnnie

Thanks Johnnie.

I have no idea why that refused to work for you.   It can't be DVD protection because you've copied the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive, and Roxio doesn't write CSS and such things.    It might even have something to do with waiting for midnight, dropping your trou, and turning thrice widdershins.  (Who knows with this software)

Please let me know how you go.

Brendon