• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

RushFan

Burned BR's not playing in my machines

I occasionally get burned BR's and sometimes dual layer (Verbatim) BR"s sent to me from a friend with various video on them. It's hit or miss as far as them working. I have 2 BR players in the house, a Sony and a Samsung. Many times the discs won't play in either of them. They are both roughly 5 years old and barely get used.

I don't understand why all burned DVDs seem to play fine without exception, yet when you pop in a BR it's an adventure as to whether the #$^@ thing is going to play or not. Don't know if buying a new Panasonic player will solve anything but I am considering it.

What software authored then burned the BluRay discs that won't play in your players?

4 hours ago, cdanteek said:

What software authored then burned the BluRay discs that won't play in your players?

He said he uses ImgBurn.

Commercial video or private video?

If Commercial video did it have copy protection?

How large are the discs in megabytes and gigabytes?

Why would your friend convert any audio to FLAC audio for a BD DVD?

Edited by cdanteek

I see some of the music concerts are put on standard dvds with 2 channel stereo sound. Others are on dual layer dvd. For the best quality audio and video experience recent video files over the past few years are only available on dual layer blu-rays. The latter are the ones that never seem to play in my machines.

Edited by RushFan

3 minutes ago, RushFan said:

For the best quality audio and video experience recent video files over the past few years are only available on dual layer blu-rays. The latter are the ones that never seem to play in my machines.

Could you give me the name of one of the music concerts?

I can only pick what I want from what source is available. If a guy mastered his show to dual layer blu-ray format only then that is what I am sent and hope for the best when attempting to play the disc.

Hello RushFan,

To sum up, a friend sends you pirated DVDs and Blu-Ray discs that he has burned.  You can play his DVDs okay, but you have trouble playing his BRs on either of your players.

Given that you have similar results with two different players, it seems that your friend's BRs are of poor quality.  A writer uses different optical systems and discs for burning the different media so it's quite possible for one machine to output good DVDs and poor BRs, or vice versa.

You could try buying a new player, but you would be better off discarding the pirate discs and buying genuine Metallica BRs if you want their music.  You would be guaranteed excellent playback, and avoid the expensive litigation that can come from publicly admitting to the piracy.

Regards,
Brendon

No 'piracy' there at all, these are shows filmed with the band's blessing for private use only and freely distributed among fans with zero commercial gain. They are freely available for download on popular (and very much legal) torrent sites.

I guess you are not aware, but Metallica encourages fans to record their concerts and in the past even had 'taper sections' at their concerts set up for those who wished to do so.

Edited by RushFan

remember back when Metallica sued Napster, USC, Indiana University and Yale, demanding $100,000 per "copyright violation" and forced Napster to block more than 335,000 fans, saying it was " trafficking in stolen goods."   

If Metallica have done this remarkable U-turn then you may be safe from litigation,  but your friend's burned BR discs are still of poor quality and you would still be better off discarding them and buying official Metallica discs.