John AS

File Format Not Supported

Trying to recover jpg files from CD burned 8 years ago. The full size jpg files are on the CD but Windows 10 reports file format not supported. I have tried several different multi format viewers  but no luck.  Any suggests would be appreciated. Corel support has not been helpful thus far.

If you cannot display the jpgs via any viewer then of course  Corel will not be able to help.

Can you copy any of the files from the CD to your hard drive? Can you attach one of the jpg files to a post so we can we it?

Thanks for the quick reply. See attached small jpg file from the opf file folder for the flip album I created years ago. I had to place in zip file as I could not attach the jpg directly.

example.zip

17 minutes ago, John AS said:

See attached small jpg file from the opf file folder for the flip album I created years ago. I had to place in zip file as I could not attach the jpg directly.

1.jpg.a8fff098e73b36587ef02f19817a597c.jpg

I'm remembering now. Created the album with bundled software that came with the PC . Burnt the CD with Roxio. Taking apart the cfg files appears the bundled software was FlipAlbum. I'm guessing there data in the header file of the jpg. Need a more robust multiformat viewer.

Your FlipAlbum software altered a .jpg where I can't open it and you tell me I "Need a more robust multiformat viewer" to view a .jpg!

John AS

Here is the contents of the first part of your file which downloaded and unzipped without error.   It is followed by a similar display of a JPG that I just made.  The Hex contents and address are shown on the left in each case, with the ASCII display on the right.

1239992068_Johnsfile.jpg.744b626c90bc87c0455ed699493e3786.jpg1080059531_myfile.jpg.5f6b8a26d2f6102e0ff4288150da792a.jpg

As you can see,  your file is rather chaotic, while mine shows an orderly JFIF header.    It appears that your FlipAlbum software has changed (perhaps encrypted) the JPG.   You're reading the CD fine so Creator worked properly,  but Windows can't interpret the altered JPG files.

Regards, Brendon

Thanks for checking Brendon. I think my only remaining path is to edit the control file and see if I can enable the save as option. 

I don't know what your posted file is supposed to be but it sure can't be jpg file with a size of only 42kb.

What control file are you trying to edit?

What are the files names on the CD where you got the file?

Edited by bimicher

On 2/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, bimicher said:

I don't know what your posted file is supposed to be but it sure can't be jpg file with a size of only 42kb.

Jpeg's can easily be resized from MB's to kb's, this .jpg is only 25.5kb in size.

3.jpg.6f64f42003e5b5986e1a3a0d3d05508c.jpg