Laryc

Export to MP4 taking hours

Question

I am running a Toshiba Portage with plenty of memory (work computer). I am capturing 2 hour videos from my camcorder and am trying to export via MP4 format to an external 500g hard drive (new and empty). Progress is about 3 minutes for each 1% complete, which is horribly slow (@5 hrs). Worse is that have to monitor the work because if anything happens like screen saver or system pause, the program aborts and I have to start over. MPG goes fairly quickly, but I would rather do MP4.

On a side note, if the MP4 aborts and I instead try to use the same project to do an MPEG, it aborts. Every time the program aborts I have to restart my computer in order to access the program. 

Any ideas ? This is getting frustrating.

2 answers to this question

Why do you have Screen Saver (who uses that now a days) or System Pause enabled. They should always be disabled when doing rendering that takes some time such as hours.

Having your computer automatically turn off its display is the new “screen saver” – it saves energy, reduces your electricity bill, and increases your battery life. Screen savers may look pretty, but they do it when no one is looking

To what format are you capturing? Please give us some more information on your input and output formats

Edited by bimicher

3 hours ago, Laryc said:

and am trying to export via MP4 format to an external 500g hard drive (new and empty)

USB?

2 or 3?