• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
godawgs

5.3.5.10 And Hp Lightscribe External

I very seldom use the CD burning capabilities of my computer. Easy CD Creator 5.2(I think)came on the computer. It is a Dell Deminsion 2300. I did recently update to version 5.3.5.10 to address the problem of copying long files withWindowsSP with SP1. I didn't have to update the drivers to get the program update to recognize my drives.

But my wife now has 2 or so years of pictures on the hard drive and I need to transfer them to a CD. I know I should do this as a CD Project and not use Direct CD.

I am considering buying a HP LightScribe DVD740e external drive primairly so I can print labels directly to the top of CD's used for my wife's photos. The HP LightScribe also has the capability to burn CD's and DVD's. The DVD part is not a problem since my DVD does not burn discs. It uses the Nero Software Suite to burn the CD's. Although my intention, I think, is to burn the CD's using Easy CD Maker, will installing the Nero software cause any conflicts with ECD Maker thus making the burn engines in either or both products not work? Will installing the Nero software cause my CD and/or DVD drive to not be recognized?

Hope this was clear and thanks for the help.

I very seldom use the CD burning capabilities of my computer. Easy CD Creator 5.2(I think)came on the computer. It is a Dell Deminsion 2300. I did recently update to version 5.3.5.10 to address the problem of copying long files withWindowsSP with SP1. I didn't have to update the drivers to get the program update to recognize my drives.

But my wife now has 2 or so years of pictures on the hard drive and I need to transfer them to a CD. I know I should do this as a CD Project and not use Direct CD.

I am considering buying a HP LightScribe DVD740e external drive primairly so I can print labels directly to the top of CD's used for my wife's photos. The HP LightScribe also has the capability to burn CD's and DVD's. The DVD part is not a problem since my DVD does not burn discs. It uses the Nero Software Suite to burn the CD's. Although my intention, I think, is to burn the CD's using Easy CD Maker, will installing the Nero software cause any conflicts with ECD Maker thus making the burn engines in either or both products not work? Will installing the Nero software cause my CD and/or DVD drive to not be recognized?

1. Last part first: no it is not clear, and I have read this three times.

2. What is Easy CD Maker ? Do you mean Easy CD Creator?

3. "The DVD part is not a problem since my DVD does not burn discs. It uses the Nero Software Suite to burn the CD's." You lost me here.

4. Are you saying that you want to use Easy CD Creator to burn the disc and then use Nero to create the label ? If that is your intent there should be no problem installing both programs. However, Easy CD Creator probably will not support your new lightscribe drive. Why not use Nero to burn the disc and print on the disc ?

Do NOT install both Packet-Writing programs - DirectCD and Nero's InCD. That will cause problems as both try to grab the drive.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have neither installed.

"Never trust your ONLY copy of an important file to a Packet-Written Program, such as DirectCD, Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc. Packet-Written discs have a tendancy to fail, usually at the worst possible time."

One other point: Read the system requirements for your proposed new drive very carefully. Be sure it will work with the Operating System you have (ECDC 5 tends to indicate an older computer), and tha your system EXCEEDS the RAM and space requirements. There's another thread somewhere by someone who appears to have bought a spiffy new drive and now needs an equally spiffy new computer to go with it.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

Guest mlpasley

In addition to what Lynn said, I'm not certain that you'll be able to use ECD v 5 to burn the CDs. I think LightScribe drive support was not added until version 7+. So if Nero is the software included with the drive, you'll probably have to use that to burn the CD/DVDs.

As Lynn said, read the system requirements very carefully. I too know people who've had to buy new computers to use the DVD burners that they wanted.

Sorry everybody, I'll try to be clearer, but I think my question was answered.

I did mean Easy CD Creator.

What I was trying to say was that I wanted to keep ECD Creator because it recognizes the CD and DVD drives already in the computer. And I want the lightscribe mainly to label the CD's I burn using ECD Creator. But I don't want to install the Nero software if it will conflict with ECD Creator and cause the CD and DVD drives already in the computer not to be recognized or cause ECD Creator's engine not to initalize.

Lynn made a good point reguarding DirectCD and Nero's InCD, so I guess I'll need to find out if the Nero software supplied with the lightscribe will let me install everything but InCD.

And I will check the system requirements carefully.

Thanks again!