ruzicka

Good alternative to Creator NXT 8?

Can anyone give me some good alternatives to Roxio Creator NXT 8?

I have been having problems enabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in Windows 10 on my desktop.  It appears that some Creator NXT 8 drivers are incompatible (at least on this PC).  These drivers are there even if I do a minimum installation without any of the add-on software options.  Only if I totally delete Creator NXT 8 (including registry items, etc) can my system enable Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.

I had initially contacted Microsoft tech support to try to fix this, but as the drivers belong to Roxio, they directed me there.  So far though, Roxio tech support has been useless, even with the higher levels of tech support.  The last communication from them told me to contact Microsoft.

So if anyone knows of another good multimedia editing suite, I would be VERY grateful to hear about it!

There are several but I'm sure that your question was really part of your rant (Mild) and you don't expect anyone to post the information here. 

Since it doesn't work for you, get your money back if you can.  there is a warranty with a time limit.

Since Roxio is part of Corel, look at the two other offerings from Corel.

Actually my post wasn't meant as a simple rant.  I really WOULD appreciate suggestions on good alternatives to Creator NXT 8.  I'd much prefer to keep Creator, but I obviously can't if it conflicts with some Windows security options I want enabled on my PC.  I've seen similar suites from Nero, CyberLink, etc, but I have no idea how they might stack up against Creator NXT 8 in terms of capabilities.

I don't think that other Corel products would work though, as some of the incompatible Creator NXT 8 drivers are actually identified as Corel.

Edited by ruzicka

On 7/31/2021 at 11:03 AM, ruzicka said:

Can anyone give me some good alternatives to Roxio Creator NXT 8?

I have been having problems enabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in Windows 10 on my desktop.  It appears that some Creator NXT 8 drivers are incompatible (at least on this PC).  These drivers are there even if I do a minimum installation without any of the add-on software options.  Only if I totally delete Creator NXT 8 (including registry items, etc) can my system enable Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.

I had initially contacted Microsoft tech support to try to fix this, but as the drivers belong to Roxio, they directed me there.  So far though, Roxio tech support has been useless, even with the higher levels of tech support.  The last communication from them told me to contact Microsoft.

So if anyone knows of another good multimedia editing suite, I would be VERY grateful to hear about it!

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/03/09/microsoft-turn-off-memory-integrity-if-its-causing-problems/

That's for the article.  But all things considered, I'd prefer to keep memory isolation on, as the only incompatibility thus far is with Creator NXT 8, which I do not use a lot.  I'd rather simply get another multimedia editing suite that does not have the incompatibily issues.

I don't think you will know that before buying new software and most don't refund after purchase.

Why not turn it off when you infrequently use Roxio?

I can only turn it on by totally deleting Creator (including registry entries, etc).  So that would mean installing/deleting/reinstalling Creator every time I want to use it, which would be a huge pain.

And if the entire point of Memory Integrity is additional security, I do not want to run the risk of compromising that security by trying to reinstall Creator while it's enabled.

19 hours ago, ruzicka said:

That's for the article.  But all things considered, I'd prefer to keep memory isolation on, as the only incompatibility thus far is with Creator NXT 8, which I do not use a lot.  I'd rather simply get another multimedia editing suite that does not have the incompatibily issues.

So you think Roxio Creator NXT 8 drivers are incompatible with your PC. It is your Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in Windows 10 that is telling you that, my suggestion is to re-read the article and shut it off.

Reminds me of the older 'User Account Control settings. You can see where I ran that in the older Windows versions, pic below.

Norton Internet Security used to tell folks running Roxio products they had registry errors when the only error was a flawed Norton Internet Security Suite!

3.jpg.119ddd72bf553e62050474fb2fb6ae00.jpg

Yes, it is Windows 10 telling me that specific Roxio drivers are conflicting with enabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.  And by the very fact that once Creator is totally deleted I am finally able to enable it means that the message Windows was giving me is correct.  The level of security a person wants to have on their personal computer is entirely a matter of choice.  For me, I want as much protection as possible, which is one reason I leave User Account Control turned on.  Is it a hassle at times?  Sure.  But a VERY minor hassle for me.

So to each their own.  I'm sure I can find online articles recommending having Core Isolation/Memory Integrity turned on, just as much as I might some that say it isn't necessary.

8 minutes ago, ruzicka said:

Yes, it is Windows 10 telling me that specific Roxio drivers are conflicting with enabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.  And by the very fact that once Creator is totally deleted I am finally able to enable it means that the message Windows was giving me is correct.  The level of security a person wants to have on their personal computer is entirely a matter of choice.  For me, I want as much protection as possible, which is one reason I leave User Account Control turned on.  Is it a hassle at times?  Sure.  But a VERY minor hassle for me.

So to each their own.  I'm sure I can find online articles recommending having Core Isolation/Memory Integrity turned on, just as much as I might some that say it isn't necessary.

Microsoft's words, not mine.

Microsoft: Turn off Memory Integrity if it’s causing problems

But that's the point.  Memory Integrity is NOT causing ANY problems with the daily operation of my computer.  It is now running perfectly with it enabled.  It is/was Creator NXT 8 that is/was causing problems with Memory Integrity.  I used Creator NXT 8 on occasion, not every day.  I use Windows security apps/options daily.

Good luck with MS Memory Integrity.

As I said, as of right now it is working perfectly.  It's not interfering or causing any problems whatsoever.

Roxio doesn't have a driver problem, MS  Core Isolation/Memory Integrity is falsely telling you it does have a problem and MS is telling you that, and to turn it off.

If you keep using it, it will have problems with other software and peripherals including MS's own webcam.

A driver can't load on this device

Security Windows 10

You are receiving this message because the Memory integrity setting in Windows Security is preventing a driver from loading on your device. Here are a few options you can try if you want to be able to use this driver:

• See if an updated and compatible driver is available through Windows Update or from the driver manufacturer.

• If that doesn’t work, try turning off the Memory integrity setting in Windows Security.

Warning: If you choose to continue using your device without addressing the driver problem, you might discover that the functionality the driver supports does not work any longer, which could have consequences ranging from negligible to severe.

Windows 10 updates have been causing a lot of issues for some users with every new cumulative update bringing new bugs. Sometimes, however, there are also driver-related issues that seem to show up after a new update. If you are seeing "A driver can't load on this device" error on your Windows 10 device, Microsoft says it means the Memory integrity setting in Windows Security is preventing a driver from loading on your device.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/a-driver-can-t-load-on-this-device-8eea34e5-ff4b-16ec-870d-61a4a43b3dd5

If you are seeing this error message, follow the above steps to address the issue as Microsoft has hinted at "severe consequences." Incompatible drivers have proved to be the bane for Windows 10 but it appears the company is at least now acknowledging these issues and offering workarounds instead of leaving users scrambling for solutions.

Thank you for your interest.  It is easy to see that you hate Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.  I can assure you that if/when problems arise due to Core Isolation/Memory Integrity I will definitely reassess the situation.  Let's be honest here.  If Microsoft did not think that this feature/option offered concrete benefits, it would not include it in Windows.

Most online articles DO recommend having it turned on unless, as you say, it causes problems.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/shall-i-turn-on-memory-integrity/7b3db5b5-9f7e-46db-85a8-f3d04f7e4d52

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/core-isolation-e30ed737-17d8-42f3-a2a9-87521df09b78

So again, if at some point I find that it is indeed causing problems, I may indeed turn it off.  Until such time though, I will leave it on and search for another multimedia app that will work with it.

Thanks again for your input.

14 minutes ago, ruzicka said:

It is easy to see that you hate Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.

Yes, probably as much as MS's User Account Control Setting and I've never had a problem not running them.

It is easy to see that you blame Creator NXT 8 and don't feel safe without running Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.

I don't know how long you have been around computers and past MS operating systems that didn't have Core Isolation/Memory Integrity, how did you feel safe back then?

It has nothing to do with "blaming" Creator NXT 8.  It is simply a fact that some of its drivers conflicted with Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.  When installed, I could not enable Memory Integrity.  When Creator was totally removed, I could.  So it is a simple fact that there was a conflict with the drivers.  This is not a guess or assumption, but a fact.

I have been around computers for a very long time, starting with a Commodore 64 in the 1970s, moving up to a 286, and further from there.  While I do not consider myself a computer expert by any means, I am far from a novice.  Being as that I am in my 60s now, there's a good chance (but no certainty) that I've been using computers longer than you have.  Sure, older computers did not have things like Core Isolation/Memory Integrity.  So what?  Are you suggesting that as new, better security features become available that I should simply ignore them?  Sorry, but I am not that naive or stupid, regardless of what you might think.  Back in the "old days" when things like Core Isolation/Memory Integrity did not exist, the threats out there from hackers, malware, etc were also not nearly as bad as they are now.  Unless you've been living under a rock, you are fully aware that in recent years these threats have gotten MUCH worse and much more sophisticated.

So if your preference is to not use any and all security precautions available to you on your PC, then you are of course perfectly within your rights to do so.  Maybe you have less to protect than I do.  Whatever.  But you have no right to criticize or look down on others that choose differently from you. 

It is obvious at this point that you do not agree with the idea of "agreeing to disagree", so it's of no use to continue this discussion.  If you choose to rant some more, by all means do so.  Maybe you're just a troll.  No idea.  Just don't expect any more responses from me.