• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

moper

Need to retrieve files from CD made with Ver 6

I have a registered copy of Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.1 Basic, DVD Edition. I have several CD's which contain backups made well over 10 years ago, and I am now three computers and OS's past the Win XP system I was using then. ) I have the original Roxio CD, but I doubt if it will install on my current Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) system. All I want is to be able to retrieve the files from these CD's. I tried downloading and running updateudfreader_7.exe and it said it installed successfully but did not appear to make any difference. Any suggestions?

So the saved CD discs were made with Roxio packet writing software Direct CD?

Can you retrieve the files on an XP system and then save them to a thumb drive, and then transfer them via thumb drive to wherever you want them?

cdanteek:  The CD's were created using Easy CD & DVD Creator 6. I don't know if that's the same as Direct CD.

rickmarin:  At this point, a viable option seems to be to create a virtual XP and try the old software. I would prefer if there was a simple downloadable reader that would work on Win 10.

Moper and CDanteek,

Sorry to be so long getting back to this.  I had to find a spare HD and install XP on it, then ECDC 6, because I didn't have a disc formatted and written with Drag 2 Disc.    I've done that now, and frankly I'm a bit perplexed about Moper's discs.    Grab a coffee and read on . . .

Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 does not have any specialized backup programs such as that BackOnTrack thing, so if Moper's discs were written by version 6 then they had to be written as standard unencrypted CDs by Disc Copier or Creator Classic, or a Universal Disc Format (UDF) packet-written disc by Drag2Disc.  It seems Moper can't recall which program he used - it was a long time ago.

Standard CDs are, well, standard.  They can be read by any Windows machine.    UDF packet-written discs are "different". They need an Operating System which can read them, or an add-on reader.      [Roxio's updateudfreader is as useless as udders on a bull, since it won't install a reader, but will only update one if you already have one installed. Huh? ]

So that's why I went back and formatted a UDF packet-written disc with Drag2Disc.   It formatted fine, wrote fine, read fine in XP with D2D installed, and I even added a few files in subsequent sessions.    I then uninstalled D2D and could no longer read the CD.   Good!   All working as it should.  Here's what NXT 7 said about it (packet-written) and UltraISO said it was UDF as expected.

1118213273_packetdisc.jpg.e5b9731457cd65a1a9f5b6a4326f1e31.jpg

But now came the problem - Windows 10 reads the CD!    I tried it under Windows 10 Pro, and under 10 Home, just in case.   They both read the CD without problem.

w10.jpg.c01a7d34e076c4ab0b3ba585a32932ac.jpg

I have thought hard about this, and without any info from Moper on what his machine told him about the discs, how he stored them, or how he tried to read them, the only guess I can make right now is that the CDs have deteriorated with age so they're mechanically unreadable.  If they're still in good condition, Windows 10 should read them.

Any thoughts, or further information Gents?

Brendon

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have provided more info. The CD's are readable. What I see with Win 10 explorer is:

a CD with the name UDFREADER  Total size: 510 KB   Free space: 0 bytes.

a directory with three files:

Autorun.inf    1KB

UdfrChk.exe    40 KB

udfrinst.zl    379 KB

Disk Management shows one partition of 538 MB with a CDFS file system.

There's a good chance that I did use D2D, but I can't be sure given the 15+ years of memory fade.

I hope this helps.

Edited by moper

Darn!  I thought we had solved it, so I cleared the hard drive - too soon, Sonny!

I think there may be a chance you used one of the odd ways that D2D had to close the CD, rather than just leaving it open as I did to the one Windows 10 reads.   I'll go back, reinstall, and prod further at it.   Results might take a day.

Brendon

A day?   Ha!   I worked on it all weekend!  (Mutter, mumble!)      Here's the story:-

Okay, a CD written with Drag2Disc in version 6 can either be "Ejected" at the end of a session, or can be left in the drive until next time the computer is started and just treated like a huge floppy disk until you need to eject it.      When you do eject it, Drag2Disc writes a Table of Contents on it that "can be read by any Windows computer", but until that is done the computer needs UDF Reader software to read it.     If you sneak the CD out while version 6 isn't looking,  (e.g. popping the drawer while the machine is off) you need a UDF reader to read it.     Version 6 has its own UDF reader, embedded in the suite, that can't be run separately.

Windows 10 has a UDF reader installed.    It is called UDFS.sys and my Windows 10 systems (Home and Pro) read any UDF discs I could make with Version 6 under XP.    It did upset me when it not only read the 'un-ejected' CD that I sneaked out of the XP system, but it also insisted on writing on it and "ejecting" it when I opened the CD writer.    A mean trick, because that destroyed my only 'un-ejected' CD.

preparing.jpg.e46a62d90c02d9d6521f5b03397e9628.jpg

Other UDF Readers

At the beginning of time Adaptec, the father of Roxio, published their UDF reader.   Here's a copy of their version 5.    udfread_v5_1_1_213_inst.exe  I don't know if it'll run or help.

Roxio had various versions at different times, but this is the only one I can find now.    updateudfreader_7.exe   It's supposed to be a reader, but I think it's only the updater for an existing reader.   I haven't seen anyone say it works on a computer which doesn't have a UDF reader.

Cyberlink have published a reader,   cyberlink.1931_udr060725-01.exe     but again I don't know whether it would run or help in Windows 10 which has its own reader.

Moper,  If you really want to copy the files off those old CDs I think your best bet might be software like CDRoller or ISOBuster.   These programs cost $40 to $50, but they're very good and I and other people here have used them a lot in the past to read broken CDs from DirectCD or Drag2Disc.    Both of them have shareware versions which let you examine your target CDs and show you the files they can recover, but you have to buy a registration before you can copy your files from the CD.     I'm sorry I haven't been able to find a free alternative.

Regards, Brendon

Gosh, I'm sorry you had to put in so much time only to feel like you somehow failed. I'll give your suggestions a try. Do you think there's a chance I could read the CDs using a VM running XP and the original Roxio software? I have VMware Workstation on Win 10 and Parallels on an iMac.

(Side story: I had an older CD written with unknown software. Win 10 said the CD was corrupt. Win 8.1 on my laptop showed a UDF reader by Adaptec. Running that didn't help. The iMac showed the full directories, and I was easily able to copy the entire backup to a flash drive. Unfortunately, the iMac was no help with the Roxio backups.)

Brendon should stop by later, a time zone thing.

I have used ISOBuster for years, good stuff, try the trial and see what it shows then you make the decision to buy it or not.

Hi Moper,

To try your suggestion out I installed a VirtualBox VM running XP and the original Roxio software, and using the host optical drive.  This happily read the two CDs I 'ejected' to ISO and UDF formats, but wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of my new 'left open' CD, let alone read it. 

1884458168_norecog.jpg.de937757f55b8c08a7db3eae9c4f321e.jpg

Creator 6 and D2D use my burner when I really boot in XP, but they don't recognize it in the VM.  I think VirtualBox must use its own CD interface rather than the XP interface which has Roxio's D2D filters loaded.

So it won't work for me, but who knows what might happen in the iMac where you're running two simulators - Parallels and the VM.  We have a local saying here which might apply: "Could be worth a crack, Nigel".  Perhaps it's worth a try.

If all else fails, and if your burned files are worth risking your cash, there are always the excellent ISOBuster and CDRoller to choose from after first trying them on the discs. 

Please do let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the effort. I was afraid that a VM would be an issue with the extra layer of the host OS having the real drivers. I think Parallels has a better chance than VMware. We'll see. I'll get around to trying this or maybe even pull an old PC out of the basement, add a HD, load XP and see what happens. It might be awhile so don't stay up late waiting.  🙂