NEW: Toast 20 & Toast 20 PRO available

bohalloran

I swore I would never upgrade Toast again because Corel destroyed a great program, but they say they have added custom menu's now so I bought it on faith that it won't be another piece of junk.  I found a code to save 20% on the upgrade:   20ROXIOSAVE

I'll posts my review of the software here after I play with it.

Matt

What I've found so far:

It can convert files to .mkv but you can’t burn .mkv (this was no surprise)

Loaded a 864mb .mp4 file and Toast says it’s 4.79GB (same old issue)  It’s H.264/AVC, 720x480, 29.97fps Audio: AAC

Toast should accept it and have the correct size!

Loaded a 1.75GB .m2ts file and it says it’s only 495MB.

Loaded a 710mb . H.264/AVC, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps .mov file and it says it’s 1.36GB. It was recorded at 4mb/s and toast is bumping it to 8mbs even though I have NEVER reencode selected.  If I manually decrease the bit rate in the customize settings down to the avg bitrate of the file according to MediaInfo.app, the file size goes down.  They shouldn’t have any effect if ReEncode NEVER is selected.

UPDATE: 

Burn to Disc Image

Even though I said reencode never,  it went thru a reencode step and that took about 30 seconds, then multiplex and then burn. The whole process took about 2 minutes for 2GB final result on bluRay disc image.

Edited by Matt Caz

Creating Custom Menu and Burning BluRay

The Guide on creating a custom menu needs some work but I think I have it figured out.  You can add a video with sound or an image once you click on the background editor button.  For a video you can select a 30 second segment in the video you select and it will loop when it's played.  I haven't tried it in "Classic Mode" yet because I don't think you can do custom menus in Classic. I'll update this post after the current burn to disc with a custom menu is finished.  It's been 8 minutes and it's only 57% thru the burn.

Simple Custom Menu with 3 videos and a 30 second video clip with audio in the background

NOTE: custom menus CANNOT be used in classic mode so no control over encoding.

I didn't select a 16x9 background video or it would have covered the whole window. Also, I didn't play with the button styles or text colors. This was just a quick video to show a basic custom menu.

What I like so far:

1- Creating custom menus. This looks like a great addition to the software and it has very good editing capabilities from what I've seen so far.

2- Looks like Corel fixed the problem in Classic Mode where you clicked on Edit one of the video's and it would NOT display the video so you could accurately set beginning/end of the clip.  I just tested it on .mp4, .mov and .m2ts and they all show the videos now. About Time it got fixed!

What I don't like so far:

1- Can't create custom menus in Classic Mode where we can better control the burning process

2- When you load a video, the filesize isn't showing the file's actual size based on the bit rate and there's no control over the bit rate.

3- It seems in "New Mode" it wants to encode everything and it took 21 minutes to burn a 3.8GB file to a toast disc image

Is the Upgrade worth the $$?

It seems to me that Corel must have actually hired someone to work on Toast that knows something about creating video discs because the program seems much smoother in it's operation than any other version since Corel destroyed Toast after they bought Roxio.  

I will continue to learn about the "new mode" when I need custom menus, otherwise I'll keep using "Classic Mode" where I can have more control.  If Corel would allow custom menu import into Classic Mode , THAT WOULD BE GREAT, OKAY!

Matt

Edited by Matt Caz
add Classic Edit working comment

CRASH! I HAVE 64GB RAM AND A 6 CORE I5 2019 IMAC 27" COMPUTER RUNNING BIG SUR.

The file I was trying to burn to a bluray disc image was the same file shown in the picture in the previous post. It got to 40% within 1 minute then the other 29 minutes it just crawled until it crashed.  Not feeling so good about this new version now.  I'll test the same file in Classic Mode and see what I get.

UPDATE: I just dropped the same file in classic mode with a menu and it multiplexed and burned it to a blu ray disc image in less than a minute! Also, In the "New Mode" If you have add a menu, any menu, it adds 5gb to the file size bar.  I removed the custom menu I had and burned the 2.5gb file to a disc image and it multiplexed and burned in less than a minute just like classic mode.  CONCLUSION:  the "New Mode" menu system is a killer during the encode burn process. I do expect that it does have to encode for the menu, but so did Classic mode and it did the menu and the file in less than 1 minute.

TOASTQUITS.jpg

Edited by Matt Caz
updated data on burning

Romad,

While it does say that you need to have an optical drive, I'm not certain that it must be an internal drive. Its only if you buy the disc that you'll need it. You may well be able to use a compatible external drive if you want to purchase the DVD version. you can also d/l the installer and get it that way. So there are options.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I have posted this stuff on the Toast 20  Pro forum, but thought I'd try here as well. 

I have many problems with the software, but one main thing is driving me absolutely crazy. I want one movie to have a play button on the main menu page. This movie will have chapters. If I just add the movie it will play directly from the main menu, but as soon as I add chapters it no longer plays the movie.Instead it takes me to a chapter menu for the movie. This can't be right. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Also if ANYONE knows how to add an intro video that plays before the main menu, that would be awesome too. 

Thank you!