• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Matt Caz

Initial Thoughts Review on Toast 20

1 minute ago, patvideoguy said:

I hear you Matt. It's a nightmare. 

I made a few throw away Blu-Rays today just trying to see how it works. Awful so far. And zero help, or even directions makes it much worse. 

What other programs have you tried? The main issues I have is with the menu design. Just makes no sense to me...

I've even tried Nero Platinum running under Parallels and it works, but it wants to re-encode everyhing.  Tried Leawoo,  it strips out 7.1 digital sound to 2 channel. Toast strips 7.1 as well and won't even down code to 5.1.  Using 7.1 AAC which Toast is supposed to support AAC, it won't work.  My Frustration level is SKY HIGH!

Thanks Pat, yes support just seem to be fobbing me off. I am gonna have to write a letter of complaint to Roxio / Corel UK office and see how it goes.

Thanks Matt, I bought the physical version. I couldn't believe it when they sent me the disc for version 19 Pro. Now I keep getting lied to from support and they tell me I must wait. How long am I expected to wait. Maybe they do not have any physical versions of Toast 20 Pro ready to sell? If that is the case then they shouldn't send advertise it. My only option at the moment is to contact the UK office in a letter which seems an outdated way of contacting them.

Edited by StuartC1972

15 hours ago, Matt Caz said:

Did you get a Serial number for V20? I bought the download version and had no issues. Sorry you got V19.

I didn't get a serial number for V20 either. It's on the physical box these days.

Hello all,

I contacted support for the tenth time or so, only to get yet another link to the previous versions instructions. No answer to my questions. I mostly want to know how to create an intro video prior to the main menu. This is possible when making a DVD but not when making a Blu-Ray. BUT when you press the "play" button to preview your disc, the word "intro" appears next to the word "menu". When you click on that, it tells you there is no intro video. So it certainly seems that there should be a way to do it, but it's not to be found. 

Meanwhile without any help from Roxio/Corel, I did figure out how to navigate the weird and non-intuitive menu creating system, and was able to make a Blu-Ray with a main menu, chapter menu, and bonus features. So I can make a somewhat professional Blu-Ray. BUT they definitely need to add a handful of features to make this something usable for pro work:

Adding subtitles and alternate sound tracks, like a directors commentary or a variety of languages. 

Adding an intro video that plays before the menu.

Allowing for longer than 30 seconds for a background video or music. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.59.12 PM.png

26 minutes ago, patvideoguy said:

Hello all,

I contacted support for the tenth time or so, only to get yet another link to the previous versions instructions. No answer to my questions. I mostly want to know how to create an intro video prior to the main menu. This is possible when making a DVD but not when making a Blu-Ray. BUT when you press the "play" button to preview your disc, the word "intro" appears next to the word "menu". When you click on that, it tells you there is no intro video. So it certainly seems that there should be a way to do it, but it's not to be found. 

SNIP.....

I sincerely appreciate your hard work in figuring this out and sharing it with us.

You're quite welcome Matt. I hope it might help others a bit. I know many people have a quicker grasp of things. I just though the trials and errors I went through might resonate.

Unbelievable to me that they can sell some software with no help at all. We're all just swinging in the wind. 

I hear you Matt. It's a nightmare. 

I made a few throw away Blu-Rays today just trying to see how it works. Awful so far. And zero help, or even directions makes it much worse. 

What other programs have you tried? The main issues I have is with the menu design. Just makes no sense to me...

https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

Say good by to all of the hassles.  Fully customizable with dvd (blu-ray is a work in progress).  Add intro video etc. free and both Mac and Windows.  This will take care of creating DVDs and with a little work blu-rays, but can use Toast for other stuff.

And I stress the word “fully customizable”…

Edited by Lobi-One

On 10/7/2021 at 8:52 PM, Matt Caz said:

Did you get a Serial number for V20? I bought the download version and had no issues. Sorry you got V19.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:44 PM, patvideoguy said:

Hey Stuart,

I have had luck ONLY with the ticket thing, and by "luck" I mean I get a reply. But after many emails, I have never gotten a reply that actually addresses my question. Only links to "helpful hints." 

Sorry to report the same problem here.

Pat

Hi Matt / Pat,

Pleased to say I finally have received the Toast 20 Pro physical edition. Can't believe the sheer hassle in trying to get it but I reached out to a staff member on this forum who helped me sort the problem.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Kind regards,

Stuart

On 10/8/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lobi-One said:

https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

Say good by to all of the hassles.  Fully customizable with dvd (blu-ray is a work in progress).  Add intro video etc. free and both Mac and Windows.  This will take care of creating DVDs and with a little work blu-rays, but can use Toast for other stuff.

And I stress the word “fully customizable”…

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at DVDstyler. I had downloaded in the past, and seeing it didn't yet support Blu-Ray authoring I lost interest. I do hope that's addressed soon. But I certainly like "fully customizable." 

Hello all,

I am once again pulling out the rest of my hair. This program (Toast 20 Pro) is driving me nuts. And of course zero help from "help." 

If you see my previous post, I uploaded a screen shot of my successful menu set up that took me FOREVER to make work. It's VERY basic. Main menu has 3 buttons. Play movie, chapters, and bonus features. When you click on the main movie from that main menu screen, it plays the movie. When you click on chapters, it goes to the menu scree, and bonus takes you to other videos on another menu. 

I saved the working project after burning a test disc. I wanted to use this as my master template. Now when I open that project, I only get "invalid operation" whenever I try to play any of the videos, or go to another menu. AND for the life of me, I cannot rebuild it the way I want to. I cannot figure out (again) how to add chapters to the main movie, but still be able to click on "play movie" from the main menu. If I click on "play movie" it takes me to the chapters screen. I obviously don't want that. Previously I somehow added chapters below the main movie (in the tree)  but now it only adds a chapter menu to the left of the movie, which creates this problem. 

Any one able to help out? I can't believe whatever worked before, won't work again. 

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.56.28 PM.png

On 10/11/2021 at 11:13 PM, patvideoguy said:

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at DVDstyler. I had downloaded in the past, and seeing it didn't yet support Blu-Ray authoring I lost interest. I do hope that's addressed soon. But I certainly like "fully customizable." 

Frustratingly its only Linux/windows rather than Mac so no such luck for me!

There is a Mac download for DVDstyler:  https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html

Download: https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html?dwl=DVDStyler-3.1-MacOSX.dmg

On 9/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, Matt Caz said:

Simple Custom Menu with 3 videos and a 30 second video clip with audio in the background

NOTE: custom menus CANNOT be used in classic mode so no control over encoding.

I didn't select a 16x9 background video or it would have covered the whole window. Also, I didn't play with the button styles or text colors. This was just a quick video to show a basic custom menu.

• Hello Matt, (and all othes)
  • First off thanks for your posts. I'm glad to see others are "out there." 
  • I'm super frustrated with this thing so far. I have Toast 20 Pro. I need to make Bluray menus for a client. Many things don't seem to be supported by this app, but I THOUGHT I had the basics figured out, and I made a few test blurays that worked the way I hoped. But not I cannot get it working again, and my saved projects and menus only get me "invalid operation" when I try to use them. 
  • Here's my biggest hurdle. If I only want one main movie with chapters, it seems by default that if I add the movie without chapters it will play from the main menu. BUT if I click the chapters button on the video, it adds a chapter menu to the left of the video instead of below. This means that when you click on the video from the main screen, it now goes to the chapter menu, not the movie. No one would ever want to do this. Can you tell me if you've been through this process? 
  • I had it correct before, and now it doesn't seem to allow for it. I must be forgetting something. 
  • Below are two screen shots. One was my successful menu where the chapters menu appeared below the main video, with the chapters to the right. The second shot is the way it is working now If I try making chapters.  

Thanks for your time,

Pat

correct toast menus.png

incorrect toast menus.png

On 10/7/2021 at 1:03 PM, Matt Caz said:

Well I've known all along since Corel bought ROXIO that their customer service SUCKS and since they seem to have the only "BluRay creation" program that you can stick a .m2ts file in and not have it spend hours encoding it, I'm stuck and keep paying the ransom.  When will I learn? When will someone make a program and have customer service that actually listens and responds?

Hey Matt, 

My rantings have been far too long-winded. Hoping for an answer to what seems like an easy question, but maybe with this software there are no easy questions. 

Have you figured out how to create chapters for a single video, but still being able to play the video directly from the main menu page? Whenever I add chapters, it inserts a chapter menu in the middle of the main video and the main menu, and then clicking on the play button it takes you to the chapter menu, not the video. I know this is confusing. I just want chapters for one video and want a button for chapters on the main menu page, but also a "play movie" button for that movie. 

Thank you.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, Matt Caz said:

What I like so far:

1- Creating custom menus. This looks like a great addition to the software and it has very good editing capabilities from what I've seen so far.

2- Looks like Corel fixed the problem in Classic Mode where you clicked on Edit one of the video's and it would NOT display the video so you could accurately set beginning/end of the clip.  I just tested it on .mp4, .mov and .m2ts and they all show the videos now. About Time it got fixed!

What I don't like so far:

1- Can't create custom menus in Classic Mode where we can better control the burning process

2- When you load a video, the filesize isn't showing the file's actual size based on the bit rate and there's no control over the bit rate.

3- It seems in "New Mode" it wants to encode everything and it took 21 minutes to burn a 3.8GB file to a toast disc image

Is the Upgrade worth the $$?

It seems to me that Corel must have actually hired someone to work on Toast that knows something about creating video discs because the program seems much smoother in it's operation than any other version since Corel destroyed Toast after they bought Roxio.  

I will continue to learn about the "new mode" when I need custom menus, otherwise I'll keep using "Classic Mode" where I can have more control.  If Corel would allow custom menu import into Classic Mode , THAT WOULD BE GREAT, OKAY!

Matt

Hey Matt,

I am also disturbed by this file size issue. I have a 12 gig movie, but it shows it as 25 gigs. I compressed the movie to 4 gigs, and it still shows as 25, so it must be basing it on the length of the movie. In classic you can change the bit rate, but it shows the correct file size anyway. But you can't create custom menus. Incredibly, in the new mode, if I delete the menu, it shows the correct file size for the video. Adding a menu makes it jump back to 25 gigs. 

I've had zero help from Corel/Roxio. They continue to send me to the user guide, which covers none of this.

I have just finished modifying the theme file for Cut (16x9).psd to allow up to 9 videos with thumbnails and space for a graphic on the left side.

I have included the zipped .psd file in that post.

The post is here:  

18 minutes ago, Matt Caz said:

I have just finished modifying the theme file for Cut (16x9).psd to allow up to 9 videos with thumbnails and space for a graphic on the left side.

I have included the zipped .psd file in that post.

The post is here:  

Hey Matt,

Good to hear you've had some success with this nightmare of a program. After endless headaches and crashes, I haven't opened it up again for a month or so. I'm curious if you can answer a couple questions I haven't been able to get answers for: First off, when adding a main movie, as you'd expect that movie can play directly from the main menu page. BUT when I add chapters to that main video, it adds a chapter menu that causes the previous "play" button from the main menu to now take you to the chapter menu. So you can no longer play that video directly from the main menu. You go to a chapter menu and can only "play" the movie  by selecting a chapter. This obviously can't be right. Most people would never want to go to the chapter page. The only work around I have come up with is to add the movie twice, so one instance plays the movie, and the other goes to the chapter page. 

I want a very simple menu system. A main menu with "play", "chapters" and "extras" button. Then those buttons take you to the movie, the chapter menu, or the extras menu. I'd love an intro movie to play before the main menu, but they seem to only allow that for DVD's. Although when you test the BluRay it has an "intro" button that only tells you that you don't have an intro video. 

On top of that, my app  crashes each and every time I try to burn or save an image file. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? 

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, patvideoguy said:

Hey Matt,

Good to hear you've had some success with this nightmare of a program. After endless headaches and crashes, I haven't opened it up again for a month or so. I'm curious if you can answer a couple questions I haven't been able to get answers for: First off, when adding a main movie, as you'd expect that movie can play directly from the main menu page. BUT when I add chapters to that main video, it adds a chapter menu that causes the previous "play" button from the main menu to now take you to the chapter menu. So you can no longer play that video directly from the main menu. You go to a chapter menu and can only "play" the movie  by selecting a chapter. This obviously can't be right. Most people would never want to go to the chapter page. The only work around I have come up with is to add the movie twice, so one instance plays the movie, and the other goes to the chapter page. 

I want a very simple menu system. A main menu with "play", "chapters" and "extras" button. Then those buttons take you to the movie, the chapter menu, or the extras menu. I'd love an intro movie to play before the main menu, but they seem to only allow that for DVD's. Although when you test the BluRay it has an "intro" button that only tells you that you don't have an intro video. 

On top of that, my app  crashes each and every time I try to burn or save an image file. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? 

Thank you.

Hi Pat,

Sorry but I don't use it the way  you do wanting chapter menus etc. I use the legacy themes because the "new" layout is a piece of crap to work with.  My Toast 20 initially crashed but then i completely removed it and then reinstalled it and now I don't have any issues with it crashing. If I get a chance I might try and do what you're doing to see if I can replicate the issue. It's not right that we have to do Roxio/Corels job but they won't do it aside from taking our money and providing somewhat diminished customer service.

Matt