• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

magicdad

No One Seems to Know

Question

Have been using original Creator NXT for years with Windows 7 /10 with no problems . Had an old hard drive ( 128gb - that old ) updated to 256 SSD card with NO problem re-installing Roxio..

Everything was working. About 3 yrs ago , something changed. I would click the Roxio icon , the Roxio " logo" would flash , then dissappear !!! the home screen with the Roxio projects did not load and was not seen to choose the projects The program would never open.

I would have to return to open the " start " menu listings and there click on the little individual " My Dvd", " Label Creator " , etc , icons to use programs

I have completely un-installed / re-installed this program many times with the same result..- No HOME SCREEN MENU..

My computer guy says it might be the INSTALLATION DISK with a corrupt file , However , I have recently installed this old program on another Windows 10 laptop and it works perfectly , so it's not the disk...

Edited by magicdad
added

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, magicdad said:

Had an old hard drive ( 128gb - that old ) updated to 256 SSD card

How?

HOW ?    replaced noisy hard drive with SSD card......a few yrs back..... old Dell Inspiron 560  still works. Just the Roxio program as stated.  When I click the ROXIO icon ,The ROXIO logo ( not the opening HOME screen ) is displayed for maybe 5/6 seconds then returns to the " desktop "...the sub-project icons can be individually opened from the listings under the START MENU Roxio program

Just now, magicdad said:

HOW ? 

Evidently you didn't change the hard drives!

didn't change hard drives... guy put in an SSDcard.    .Back up so I can explain..Roxio was originally on hard drive. When hard drive was being problematic , it was replaced with a new ssd card with more memory.. Roxio was re-installed and worked on the ssd card. Did not use Roxio for almost a year and after several Windows updates noticed this program change. All my Windows laptops / this old pc are current......

I installed this same Roxio program on a laptop and it works100% perfect......thxs again

6 hours ago, magicdad said:

Roxio was re-installed and worked on the ssd card

Then something hosed the Roxio installation after it worked.

MagicDad,

Given that Creator NXT was working properly on that machine, and the install disk is good, it would seem likely that something in one of the Windows 10 Updates broke or disconnected something in your NXT install.

Have you tried a Repair Installation of your Creator NXT on that machine?  A Repair Install won't count against the limited number of installs you're allowed, but it should restore the software back to factory condition and hopefully repair whatever got broken.  To do this you run Setup.exe, and choose 'Repair' instead of 'Install'.

Brendon

Sorry  don't know the expression " hosed ".    The program , in the past , was working on the SSD card....The pc was never worked on after....didn't use Roxio for over a year , but Windows had several updates , so I attributed the failure to that.

As of tonight , I un-installed and deleted everything Roxio related , disable mcafee , re-installed Roxio - same result....

Bottom line , my windows pc / windows laptop - both with current updates for Windows.... program works 100% on laptop , not on PC

Still Repairing mode..  just seems strange that my laptop which is 100% current updates as well , runs the roxio program with 1st installation done 3 days ago.....will let you know

NOTHING......I don't get it.....the Roxio icon on desktop/ Roxio icon in the start menu  opens the Roxio logo for 5 seconds and vanishes. The actual home screen which displays the available project icons does not load !!!!!

If I go back to the Start menu listing of programs and expand ROXIO , I can open " my dvd "- " video copy convert" - " label creator"- "music disc creator" separately..I don't see any icons for data/copying.....so strange  but thxs so much...Guess I'm a mission...lol     thxs  marc b

Thanks for the update, Marc.    I think the "Home App" is just a menuing system which is not essential to the running of all the different parts, but it might have the code for some of the simple copy functions and stuff.

The only other suggestion I have is to do a clean uninstall - a total cleanout of all things Roxio NXT, files and Registry settings - and then a fresh install hoping you've removed whatever is causing the menu system to crash.   But you've done that, or mostly done it, and still the problem persists.  That throws suspicion back on Windows updates.

Windows Update gives different drivers etc depending on the hardware it sees, so the desktop and laptop will get different updates and one of those differences may be the problem.    I don't work for Roxio and I don't have your problem, but I should be able to locate a spare drive at home and install NXT on it in the next day or so.   Then maybe I can go after some of the other functions you can normally get from the Home application.     Would that help you?

Brendon

you just gave a perfect explaination   THANKS    kind of makes sense.......Right now , I have the icons for MY DVD ....LABEL CREATOR....VIDEO,COPY,&CONVERT   projects....the icon for creating music cd's works ( screen looks alittle different ) reads MUSIC DISC CREATOR

NOT AVAILABLE - DON'T SEE in the start menu Roxio listings any icon to copy disk to disk projects.......Please , this is an extra pc...just playing with it now !!!!!!!!Do not devote hours on my problem..A rainy cold day thing..............thxs  marc b.

SO..............Roxio Saga......Still ckecking around.   SO , un-installed everything once again . Then , not computer smart , went to VIEW HIDDEN FILES.USERS. Found " APP DATA " hidden..WHATEVER ?   Found under " LOCAL " / " ROAMING " some ROXIO " dat " files- Deleted them !!!!!

RE-INSTALLED DISK..........Home Screen now WORKS !!!!!!!!   shows all the little sub-icons for the different projects - burning/ copying/data/dvd's/labels/photos,  etc....

WTF ??????????????  THANKS SO VERY MUCH. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED..................................

28 minutes ago, magicdad said:

WTF ??????????????

Is that necessary?

SORRY.........just so confused to find this working.......thought uninstalling took care of everything.....Please excuse my profound usage.........but thanks again........to ALL.......

Aaaah, as I said above, " But you've done that, or mostly done it"     I should have checked you cleaned out all the squirrelly bits that Windows likes to hide.  My apologies for not insisting on the total clean uninstall.   I overestimated your computer experience.

I'm very glad you found the branches in Appdata by yourself, MagicDad.    For others reading this, if you're having problems with a clean uninstall drop me a message and I can give you a hand with that.

Brendon

48 minutes ago, Brendon said:

cleaned out all the squirrelly bits that Windows likes to hide. 

Brendon

Thxs so much again and sorry for the above !!!!!! found other old hidden files that belonged to programs that were un-installed years ago...Thanks again to All and stay healthy....