VISTA "EULA"

REDWAGON

I have just read information regarding Microsoft's new "EULA" agreement for the new operating system "VISTA".

Here's the exact text: "The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device ONE time."

That means that if you purchase a copy of Vista at retail--at the $200 Home basic or the $400 Vista Ultimate package, you have the right to install the operating system on one machine. When you retire that machine, you can install the operating system on a second PC, but that's it. Unlike the Windows XP EULA, which permits you to continue transferring the OS indefinitely (as long as you remove it from the old machine), Vista's EULA restricts each copy to the OS to two computers only.

The new policy will be einforced using "Product Activation". When MS representatives were asked what hardware upgrade would effect this change, all they suggested was "it's a complicated algorithm".

To pay MS a couple of hundred $$ a year for the privilege of running Vista is not what I expected. For persons like me that like to build their own computers, this will make Vista very unattractive.

Most all of this information can be read on Ed Bott's blog at http://tinyurt.com/yx9nxv

Ready to install Vista you all ????

Frank...

I'm with you Frank.I do all my own work and upgrades,which happen fairly often (not too much lately).I was hesitant about Vista in the first place and now if this is the case I'm pretty sure it's not for me.

And what about if you just decide to reformat and reinstall on the same machine to clean things up.Will it do like Xp and only let you install it once every 6 mos or so without calling MS?Too many questions for my liking.

So how do they know if you installed it on machine then soon after, 'retired' that machine and installed in on another? Basically, you'd have to be running updates at the same time for them to know. I'm not advocating this just curious how they will know. Of course, I'm not use to thinking up being that sneaky so I'm likely overlooking the obvious here.

I like that better.I just wonder if there will be a point during the activation that it realizes the hardware is different and questions if it's the same machine or a second one.That's the thing with XP,as long as you don't change the hardware you're usually ok.If you change the hardware then chances are you're going to end up talking to MS,as long as it's more than once every 6 mos or so.

I will be checking MS's website for additional information on this, but I first read about it in my new December 2006 edition (vol 11, NO 13) "MaximumPC" magazine. If there has been a change or softing of the EULA, I haven't read that yet.

The "activation" requirement will be the way that MS enforces the EULA based on the exact text in the EULA. So far I have read the way the "algorithm" works and it sounds to me like it will check just about every single portion of the computer, including all software installed. What a bunch of CRAP !!!

For the time being, I will be using XP for a long time unless all this changes. BTW, all the program portions of the Vista OS, has a lot to do with this also.

Frank....

Good find Marlin. I would like to get the exact copy of the new EULA from MS's website, but so far everytime I try and search for it on Google or their website I get the old browser error, "Page Cannot be Displayed".

I hope all of this "better" EULA agreement for Vista is correct as I, like Terry and many others, do lots of building and changing or upgrading our computers.

Frank...

I have been nailed by the activation on XP. I did a reinstall of XP so I could change some driver settings that can only be done at XP install time and had to reactivate online. They only give you one online activation. I changed MBs later and had to reactivate again, this time by phone. I think to India. I later changed MBs again, but did not have to reactivate as I think it looked at chipsets and the chipset between the two MB was the same, even though it was a totally different MB.

This is Microsoft's website that has the EULA agreeement for Windows Vista, Home Basic edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useforms/default.aspx

Once there, under PRODUCT LICENSE TREMS, click on "Retail Software License Terms"

On the next screen, fill in the boxes with "Windows Vista"; "Home Basic"; "English" and then GO. Then under the results, click on "Windows Vista Home basic English.PDF"

Check out Part 15 b.

Frank....

This is Microsoft's website that has the EULA agreeement for Windows Vista, Home Basic edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useforms/default.aspx

Once there, under PRODUCT LICENSE TREMS, click on "Retail Software License Terms"

On the next screen, fill in the boxes with "Windows Vista"; "Home Basic"; "English" and then GO. Then under the results, click on "Windows Vista Home basic English.PDF"

Check out Part 15 b.

Frank....

Not that I plan on purchasing Vista anytime soon, but that one time rule would only apply to an upgrade. There seems to be no limitation on the full purchase (15a), which is what I use. You can still get bit by the reactivation, just like XP, where you have to state what changed (see my previous post on activation). This does sound like a bit of a back off from the one time move on all versions previously reported.

We will have to wait and see whether this is the exact wording of the final EULA or it will be changed further.

Archived