• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

hi8 to digital

bmack

Question

I have about 20 hi8 video tapes. I was using pinnacle 7 with a breakout module to import the video

in to the windows machine. Works great, burned both vcd's and svcd's. I now switched over to Mac platforms ie, Imovie 6hd and would like to import these files into toast titanium to digitize them for use in I movie, Idvd or just plain burn a DVD from Toast, I have the LaCie d2 external dvd burner. My Sony hi8 only has analog out (RWY). So the only way I can get the analog, it seems, is to burn a svcd and then try to import it in to toast?? has anyone done that?? Or are there other options?

2 answers to this question

So the only analog-to-digital converter you have is the Pinnacle which requires a PC and only supports VCD and SVCD formats. Is that correct?

Yes you can have Toast convert the MPEGs on the SVCD to QuickTime, DV or MPEG 4 for use in iMovie. But it would be nice if you could digitze your videos at better quality than SVCD to begin with. There are standalone DVD recorders and some models of EyeTV that do well at encoding full-resolution MPEG 2 from analog sources. Ideal is to convert directly to DV which requires a converter such as the ones sold by Canopus or Miglia, or find a friend who will let you use their DV camcorder for pass through to your Mac.

So the only analog-to-digital converter you have is the Pinnacle which requires a PC and only supports VCD and SVCD formats. Is that correct?

Yes you can have Toast convert the MPEGs on the SVCD to QuickTime, DV or MPEG 4 for use in iMovie. But it would be nice if you could digitze your videos at better quality than SVCD to begin with. There are standalone DVD recorders and some models of EyeTV that do well at encoding full-resolution MPEG 2 from analog sources. Ideal is to convert directly to DV which requires a converter such as the ones sold by Canopus or Miglia, or find a friend who will let you use their DV camcorder for pass through to your Mac.

If I may suggest one nice thing to you, You should try buying a Sony Digital * camera that will play your 8mm and Hi 8 tape, plug into the fire wire connector at the back... of your MAC than just import them into iMovie. Because if your try to burn them with Toast they will need to be converted back again if you wish to used them in iMovie because of varaint in the format.

However if you only want to preserve them, you can burn them on a regular DVD recorder, today 125$ and there you are. Your films will be safe.

Long processt it worth it. ENjoy.

Jimmy

Archived