Mark Milliman

Drag-to-Disk Says Recorder is Busy

Question

I am using EMC 9.0 with WinXP on my laptop and I cannot format or erase a CD-R from the menu with Drag-to-Disk. I receive an error message that the recorder is busy. However I can format an empty disk by dragging and dropping files to the Drag-to-Disk mini window. I am prompted to format the disk and all goes well, but I am not provided with a format dialog to set the parameters of the format.

I do not have any other Roxio products installed and I am running the latest firmware for my drive. The only other change to my system was the installation of WMP11. Could that program be locking up my drive then why does it work one way and not the other? Why am I not able to format a CD-RW from the menu with Drag-to-Disk? I can format the disks from the the other Roxio applications.

This problem just seems to be another issue in a long list of problems with this release.

Mark

Edited by Mark Milliman

22 answers to this question

You need to check the manufacture of your Burner for a firmware update.

You can pre-set the Format options for D2D by right clicking the D2D icon and selecting Settings.

Of course you are correct that you should be able to format through D2D or even Explorer! It works as advertised on mine, so that is why I suspect a firmware update may be the trick.

If I put in a blank disc and go to the menu I can choose format and the format box pops up.The only thing I can't do is choose Quick or Full format.

What happens if you go to Windows Explorer,right click on the drive and try to hit Format?Does it work?

If I put in a blank disc and go to the menu I can choose format and the format box pops up.The only thing I can't do is choose Quick or Full format.

What happens if you go to Windows Explorer,right click on the drive and try to hit Format?Does it work?

I am greeted by the same dialog box saying that the recorder is busy.

Mark

I am greeted by the same dialog box saying that the recorder is busy.

Mark

Do you have Sonic DLA or Nero InCD on your computer? You can only have one packet writing software on a computer or you will have problems.

You need to check the manufacture of your Burner for a firmware update.

You can pre-set the Format options for D2D by right clicking the D2D icon and selecting Settings.

Of course you are correct that you should be able to format through D2D or even Explorer! It works as advertised on mine, so that is why I suspect a firmware update may be the trick.

I already stated that my firmware is up to date and packet writing worked with DLA. Also, it works when I drag-and-drop a file to a blank disk.

Mark

Do you have Sonic DLA or Nero InCD on your computer? You can only have one packet writing software on a computer or you will have problems.

I use to have Sonic DLA on the machine but I removed it before installing EMC 9.0. Nero InCD was never installed on this machine. Maybe there are some vestiges of DLA still in the Registry but EMC 9.0 added some DLA entries as well.

Mark

I already stated that my firmware is up to date and packet writing worked with DLA. Also, it works when I drag-and-drop a file to a blank disk.

Mark

I use to have Sonic DLA on the machine but I removed it before installing EMC 9.0. Nero InCD was never installed on this machine. Maybe there are some vestiges of DLA still in the Registry but EMC 9.0 added some DLA entries as well.

Mark

I would bet there are. I don't, and won't have WMP 11 on my computer, but I know other folks who have it and have not had a problem, so that must not be the problem.

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see what is running under Applications.

Of course we expect to see Drag-to-Disk, and it will say Recorder is Busy. Anything else in there that you don't recognize?

Then shift to the Processes tab. DrgToDsc.exe will show, but go through the list and see if anything that might be competing is listed.

If nothing shows here, try going into Device Manager and deleting the drive. Then reboot.

Lastly, just to put our minds at ease, use Roxio's Disc and Device utility to examine the drive. What make/model does it report? What firmware version?

I keep going back to the hardware matter for this reason. D2D has been a trouble free program since at least V5. There just has not been updates needed for it or problems that actually involve the program itself. It has suffered only from conflicting software or hardware.

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see what is running under Applications.

Of course we expect to see Drag-to-Disk, and it will say Recorder is Busy. Anything else in there that you don't recognize?

Then shift to the Processes tab. DrgToDsc.exe will show, but go through the list and see if anything that might be competing is listed.

If nothing shows here, try going into Device Manager and deleting the drive. Then reboot.

Lastly, just to put our minds at ease, use Roxio's Disc and Device utility to examine the drive. What make/model does it report? What firmware version?

I keep going back to the hardware matter for this reason. D2D has been a trouble free program since at least V5. There just has not been updates needed for it or problems that actually involve the program itself. It has suffered only from conflicting software or hardware.

The problem is not my hardware. I isolated it to a problem with Stardock's DesktopX application. I did not have this problem with EMC 8.0, but I now have it with EMC 9.0. I assume that Roxio changed something in Drag-to-Disk where they control the drives differently.

The problem occurs when a DesktopX theme uses the DXPlayer add-in with a widget. If I delete any access to DXPlayer in the theme then Drag-to-Disk works fine. Like I said earlier they cohabitated well with EMC 8.0. I have opened a trouble ticket with Stardock to see how the DXPlayer add-in calls the multimedia API.

My solution was to delete the MP3 player widget and resort to directly using iTunes in mini player mode.

Mark

I was running WindowBlinds and it has a problem with MyDVD.If I have it running and open MyDVD then I don't get any text from the dropdowns in the Tool Bar.Also didn't have a problem with V8.

If you find out anything interesting from StarDock let us know will you please.

I would not know anything about StarDock or WindowBlinds. I run straight Windows and never see problems like this…

Please let us know what StarDock has to say.

I am using EMC 9.0 with WinXP on my laptop and I cannot format or erase a CD-R from the menu with Drag-to-Disk. I receive an error message that the recorder is busy. However I can format an empty disk by dragging and dropping files to the Drag-to-Disk mini window. I am prompted to format the disk and all goes well, but I am not provided with a format dialog to set the parameters of the format.

I do not have any other Roxio products installed and I am running the latest firmware for my drive. The only other change to my system was the installation of WMP11. Could that program be locking up my drive then why does it work one way and not the other? Why am I not able to format a CD-RW from the menu with Drag-to-Disk? I can format the disks from the the other Roxio applications.

This problem just seems to be another issue in a long list of problems with this release.

Mark

I am having the exact same problem. My firmware is up to date. I have to reboot and yank the blank disk out before Windows starts up or I am right back to recorder busy! I don't have WMP11.

Well, joining all of you with my own "recorder is busy" blues. Some cursory Google searching says this happens to a lot of people at tenth time using EMC 9. Big drag. Huge waste of time. I've tried all the suggested fixes without any luck and want to cry! Oh, "time is money" makes this a very expensive product, yes indeed.

I hope Roxio does the right thing and supplies fixes--and soon.

If anyone has come up with a foolproof way to solve this disheartening problem, I'd be so grateful to know it.

You just posted to a thread from last September, ending in November - a shade late

However - do you have any other software on your system that is clashing with D2D? Specifically InCD, DLA or anything else (any other cd burning programs, basically)

ANY packet writing software will try to take control of the drive - if there are two, then one will lock out the other.

If D2D is blocking any other app, you can disable it from starting up - go to start, run, type msconfig and uncheck the box beside it. Reboot and tell the nag screen that you know a program is disabled and to go away and not ask again. After that, should you wish to use D2D, you can start it manually.

Personally - I really hate the thing and I have it uninstalled. Along with every other packet writing s/w it's about as reliable as an igloo in the Sahare for backup - a good way to lose your data

Well, joining all of you with my own "recorder is busy" blues. Some cursory Google searching says this happens to a lot of people at tenth time using EMC 9. Big drag. Huge waste of time. I've tried all the suggested fixes without any luck and want to cry! Oh, "time is money" makes this a very expensive product, yes indeed.

I hope Roxio does the right thing and supplies fixes--and soon.

If anyone has come up with a foolproof way to solve this disheartening problem, I'd be so grateful to know it.

Use Creator Classic, and you won't lose your valuable backup files. Using any packet writing software is like playing Russian Roulette.

Thank you most kindly, Bruce. Life IS good when good people reply with help that I can actually make sense of! Classic it is!

You just posted to a thread from last September, ending in November - a shade late

Oh gosh, I'm new to this. But I sure do appreciate your help from so many miles away--and though I'm late! Thank you sincerely.

Thank you most kindly, Bruce. Life IS good when good people reply with help that I can actually make sense of! Classic it is!

Oh gosh, I'm new to this. But I sure do appreciate your help from so many miles away--and though I'm late! Thank you sincerely.

You're welcome.

The fact that some people do not like packet writing software is their own personal opinion, and they are entitled to it. I paid good money for a program that does not function as it was advertised. I do not have problem with other vendors' packet writing software in my current configuration. A previous version of Drag-To-Disk worked well with Stardock's DesktopX so I don't blame Stardock. Roxio made a change in this version that does not work well with DesktopX. I would hope that Roxio would investigate the problem and provide an eventual solution to it.

Mark

The fact that some people do not like packet writing software is their own personal opinion, and they are entitled to it. I paid good money for a program that does not function as it was advertised. I do not have problem with other vendors' packet writing software in my current configuration. A previous version of Drag-To-Disk worked well with Stardock's DesktopX so I don't blame Stardock. Roxio made a change in this version that does not work well with DesktopX. I would hope that Roxio would investigate the problem and provide an eventual solution to it.

Mark

I wouldn't think that they would consider it a high priority item, but you never know.

Mark

I will blame them!

Roxio made D2D to operate in the Windows Operating System. DesktopX, WindowBlinds and similar programs modify the basic OS to work.

D2D has to be able to intercept calls to the burner and decide what should be allowed to proceed or what needs to be done with such calls.

There is something in these programs that is interfering with D2D and that is not a Roxio issue.

Thanks for the link Stas. The beta version sort of worked. It worked twice. I dropped a file onto the applet and it copied. Next I ejected the disk just fine. Then I tried it again with another file, and the disk ejected fine. The third time I tried it, the file copied but I could not eject the disk. I was only able to eject it after I disabled Drag-to-Disk. I guess this is a workaround. I can always disable Drag-to-Disk, eject the disk, and re-enable it. Not perfect but at least I can change disks.

Mark