• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Authoring features, need more detail

For the DVD authoring capabilities in Creator NXT (which I presume are identical in Toast Pro), the website documentation doesn't elaborate on details such as, can you create menus with video backgrounds.   For example, there are some commercial DVDs where, after you insert the disc, you a presented with a video loop -- you may press a button to get to the menu, where you're presented with those options.

I cannot determine any of this for these products.  Would someone please help?  Thanks.

"Intro videos
You can add an intro video to your project (for example, a bumper video or opening narrative). Note that the AVCHD format does not support intro videos."

Don't forget to check out youtube. videos and other social media sites.

In my personal experience, comparing Toast to NXT will someone screwed up

Posted (edited)

There may be an error in the link you posted, it just brings me back here to this posting.

Most DVD production software is going away, as streaming media has taken over.  But, if you purchase a movie "with extras"  from (for example) iTunes, they essentially present you with the same elements -- an intro video loop, press a button to navigate menus, then back to the intro loop to select others.    I wonder how they are producing these and under what standard, etc.

The project I'm about to work on doesn't have any HD content.  Someone is providing me with a large cache of VHS tapes from long ago to convert.  Based on their condition, I'll convert, fix up, but I want to assemble them professionally per the above as these have significant local historical value.   But I'd also  like to generally learn how to do the above, as it's much more professional (and looks like fun to create).

Edited by Gump

19 hours ago, Gump said:

As for Toast vs NXT, I'm new to these products -- I have no idea what the inherent differences are, save for I assume more advanced featuresets.

Let's back up a little.  What computer(s) do you have?  Toast is for mac while NXT is for pc.  

I have a Macbook Pro 16,1 and a Mac Pro cylinder.  I also have VMware Fusion, where I can run Windows and related applications if I need to.

My guess is that I may not need something ultra sophisticated for what I'm doing -- it's just "authoring" which is just a series of menus and video clips, assembled in a particular manner and published ... be that on DVD or in a way that streaming media uses.   However, the price point between the two is not that significant, so if I get something with more bells and whistles, perhaps I'll use them?

While I realize a Windows application that runs under Vmware may not perform 100%, it's darn close if you don't have other things operating -- and I can share devices to the virtual image/machine.

I've seen this page, which brought me here as I can't tell whether I can accomplish what I need with it.   For example, on a disc you may have an opening video that loops, you press a button to menu 1, etc.   I  can't determine whether this supports that or if I am missing something.

Your need may be too specific or unique to your siltation (computer, other software, and sources) to give you a reliable answer.

Why don't you buy it and try it. (Whichever you chose). Roxio has a 30 day return policy.  Return policy 

The irony here is I did contact customer support prior to coming here.  I was given a URL to the documentation (which I've already seen), told it would be escalated and never heard another peep! LOL   *shrug*

I don't believe what I'm doing is that exotic.  You can pick up any DVD out there and it has basically the same thing.  Up until recently, I've had no need to understand how DVDs were produced in that manner.  But again, they're doing the same thing for streaming media packages.