• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tips or walkthrough on making a "highlight reel"

g-force

Question

Hi there. I'm trying to put together a highlight reel of my son's high school football games using video wave (EMC9). Any tips? a walkthrough would be nice. We have footage from 10 games. We want to select the best plays in each game and bring them all together.

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

There is another program in this set of functions that a lot of people don't use but it does make a good high level or introductory highlight video - that is Cinemagic. You can use the program to select/deselect the scenes you want to use. Don't use this for a longer video but for an introduction (or highlights of one game) it is very good. You can select style and music for that short highlight.

Hi there. I'm trying to put together a highlight reel of my son's high school football games using video wave (EMC9). Any tips? a walkthrough would be nice. We have footage from 10 games. We want to select the best plays in each game and bring them all together.

Thanks in advance.

Build it the way that pleases you.

Thanks. Should I add the mpg files of all 10 games to one VW project, then trim and cut out the excess footage? Or should I edit each game separately (ie make 10 different VW projects), then combine them somehow into one movie. If the latter is the most efficient choice, how do I import an existing VW project into another?

Thanks. Should I add the mpg files of all 10 games to one VW project, then trim and cut out the excess footage? Or should I edit each game separately (ie make 10 different VW projects), then combine them somehow into one movie. If the latter is the most efficient choice, how do I import an existing VW project into another?

It all depends how long the total of those videos are, in time. I would download a program called VideoReDo. It has a 30 trial period, and it edits mpeg video a lot faster than you can do it in VideoWave. You will probably purchase the product after you try it, because it is sweet.

Then, bring those edited video into VideoWave for adding text, music, transitions, etc. But, keep in mind that you can get only 1 hour of video on a standard 4.7 GB DVD, at best quality.

To add to what Bruce detailed, I did the same thing for my nephew’s team last year (and will do it again for this season). For what it is worth, here is what I did:

1. Imported and saved as mpeg2 files only those portions of the videos I intended to use in the highlights project.

2. Separated the clips into three categories; introduction/brief highlights, footage of the seniors, and extended highlights.

3. Used three separate videowave projects, one for each of the categories. "Tweaked" the videos in each of the videowave projects.

4. Mixed appropriate still pictures and video clips, including transitions, in each of the categories.

5. Include background music in each of the projects.

6. In MyDVD, created an unlinked button (named it Play All) on the main menu, created a sub-menu screen (which places a 2nd button on the main menu that I named Select Chapters) and imported each of the three videowave projects into the sub-menu.

7. The unlinked button was linked to “All Movies in Project”. Sub-menu button was linked to the second menu and each individual title was set to return to the menu when it completed playing.

In summary, here is the DVD action: Insert DVD and get main menu. Select “Play All” button and all three titles play one after the other. OR, click “Select Chapters”, navigates to the sub-menu and highlight one of the three chapters. After that chapter completes, return to the sub-menu to select another chapter if desired.

That is a very brief description of what I did for a football highlights video. By no means am I saying that is the way to go. Just use it as a starting point.

Merv. Wow! excellent feedback. It will be very helpful. I just need clarification on how to import highlights from various games into one VW project. I have selected the highlights for one game using VW. Now I'm unsure of how to mix those in with highlights from the next game. Can I Copy/Paste the clips? Is that the best way to do it?

Merv. Wow! excellent feedback. It will be very helpful. I just need clarification on how to import highlights from various games into one VW project. I have selected the highlights for one game using VW. Now I'm unsure of how to mix those in with highlights from the next game. Can I Copy/Paste the clips? Is that the best way to do it?

If they are mpeg videos, just browse for them and add them to VideoWave by clicking on the Add Photo/Video button. Give it a try. Half the fun of using the program is learning a little at the start, then experimenting.

Archived