• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Backing up files using Roxio Backup

jeffpratt

Question

Hi- I have all my photo, video, music, Word and Excel files saved on my C drive and my goal is to back these up to my new external hard drive with the same file structure that they have on my C drive. I couldn't figure out the Retrospect 6.5 software that came with the drive, so I tried Roxio backup. This seemed easier to use, but I have a couple questions. First, why did it create new folders called $ROXIO$ and $BAK001$? The latter has a subfolder called D_000 - it is here that I find my backed up files. Second, when I compare the properties of the source folder and the destination folder (not the destination folders that I mentioned Roxio created, but the actual destination folder that contains the backed up files), why are they not the same?

Source = 30.7 GB, 8753 files, 323 folders

Destination = 30.7 GB, 8418 files, 320 folders

I chose "full backup" since it was the first one I did. Can someone help?

Hi- I have all my photo, video, music, Word and Excel files saved on my C drive and my goal is to back these up to my new external hard drive with the same file structure that they have on my C drive. I couldn't figure out the Retrospect 6.5 software that came with the drive, so I tried Roxio backup. This seemed easier to use, but I have a couple questions. First, why did it create new folders called $ROXIO$ and $BAK001$? The latter has a subfolder called D_000 - it is here that I find my backed up files. Second, when I compare the properties of the source folder and the destination folder (not the destination folders that I mentioned Roxio created, but the actual destination folder that contains the backed up files), why are they not the same?

One more thing - is there a way to compare the two folders to see which folders and files are missing from the new backup folder?

1 answer to this question

One more thing - is there a way to compare the two folders to see which folders and files are missing from the new backup folder?

If you have an external drive and just want to back them up using the same file structure, etc, just copy them, directories and all to the external drive. There will be no name conflict because it is a different drive letter. If you want to do a true back up with compression of the files etc, use the retrospect or use Backup MYPC which comes with EMC 8.

Archived