Unable to play burned DVD-R on DVD Player

andelicious123

Question

I have tried multiple times to burn 2 family videos that I recorded into a DVD using a blank Staples or Memorex DVD-R. Whenever I play it on a DVD player (other than the computer), it says "Cannot play this disc" or "This disc cannot be played." There are no scratches or marks on the DVD and the quality of the recording of those videos are in perfect shape as well. It will play on my computer, but it will not play on a DVD player. 

Since I have a laptop instead of a desktop computer, I am using an ASUS portable DVD to burn them. I have been able to do it before just fine, but about a year ago, it started giving me these issues.

Is there anything I need to do in the software like any settings I need to change in order to make this work properly? If I use a different DVD burning software, the quality will not be the same.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

5 answers to this question

andelicious123,

There's nothing in your message that points an arrow and says "this is what's wrong", so I'll have to ask some questions to try and diagnose it for you.   You haven't told us which Roxio program or suite you're using, or which menu item you're making the discs with, so we'll have to start wide and try to narrow things down.

At first read it seems that you're getting a decent burn and producing a good disc that can be read reliably by your computer.   Your DVD player doesn't grind away trying to read the disc, but instead tells you straight off that it can't play it.    That suggests that you might be burning the DVD in the wrong format.

To explain: Most optical discs will be one of three main types - audio, data, or video.    Audio is your music CD.    Data holds any sort of computer files, and Video includes DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.     If you have made a data disc with video files such as .MP4, .AVI, .MKV etc. on it, your computer can read the data disc and play the files, the same as if they were on your hard drive.   However, most DVD players won't play data discs.     They are simple-minded, and look only for video discs made to the DVD or Blu-Ray standard.

The Questions:

1.  What Roxio program or suite are you using, and which menu item?

2. What type of video files (.MP4, .MKV, .AVI, .MOV etc) are you making your family videos from?

3. If you open a burned disc with your file explorer, what sort of files do you see?   Are your family video files there, or are there a couple of folders named AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS with files such as VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1 inside the VIDEO_TS folder ??

If you can give me the answers to those 3 questions we should be able to steer you onto the right path.

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

1. I am using Roxio Easy DVD to VHS Version 3

2. The video files I am using are actually MPG video files, originally recorded from the software itself.

3. My family video files are on there, but when I look at the files, they do say files such as VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1 in that folder. It was burned as a PAL format automatically, but it said it was already set to burn in the standard NTSC format.

Please let me know what you can do. Thank you for the help!

Edited by andelicious123

Andelicious123,

I spent an afternoon working on this, and installed the Roxio software several times on various versions of Windows, trying to find a setting to switch between NTSC or PAL I/O.     But I couldn't find one.   :(

You have a Roxio device to convert your analog VCR video to digital computer data.    The device is a small computer rather than just a fixed converter.   Seems it detects what it is being fed to its input, and switches standards automatically so the user can't switch it between PAL and NTSC

A good computer program [such as the excellent VLC player] can happily play either type of disc.     But while most hardware PAL players can detect and play NTSC discs, very few NTSC players can detect and play PAL discs.    Instead they will tell you the disc can't be played.   (sound familiar?)

I think your family films were recorded with a PAL device, and your DVD player is an NTSC machine.     The films can be converted between standards using other software which re-codes the movies.     There are many commercial programs which will do this, or you can use a very popular free program called Handbrake to do it.   (See this link)    It can be a bit complicated to do, but you only have to do it once per movie.

I hope this helps,

Brendon

Posted (edited)

Hi Brendon,

So I used handbrake to convert it to the NTSC format like you told me to. I tried MULTIPLE times to burn it all the way but it stops when it says exporting to DVD. I know they are M4V files, so would I need to change the format to MP4 before burning it? Also, I am also concerned that if they do burn, the quality of the videos will be lost and I want to keep the original quality.

Do all of these products come with the devices that only record it in the PAL format or are there ones that record in the standard NTSC format? I am concerned about this because I just started to record all of my family videos again. I do have another set of the software that I bought two years ago (that set burned them just fine before this whole situation happened).

Please let me know what I can do.

Thank you for being a big help!

Edited by andelicious123

andelicious123,

The Handbrake documentation, HERE (link)  says .MP4 and .M4V files are the same.  The only difference is the file extension.   Either change the output extension in Handbrake before conversion, or rename the file extension after Handbrake finishes.   That should stop the Roxio program hanging.

If you're concerned about quality of the output video, check the MP4/M4V file Handbrake produces, against the quality of your source MPGs, and the quality of a DVD you make with them, for acceptability.      Remember that you usually can't get better quality than your source with these programs.    You may be able to tweak Handbrake to get a little closer to your source files' quality if you're using a quick 'one-pass' method of re-coding and it's not good enough for you.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, so please feel free to rephrase it if I don't answer what you need.   I believe the format of the video (NTSC or PAL) is set by the camera, and that some are fixed and some switchable.  Nowadays I'm told that as most modern cameras are now high definition, digital and most commonly use progressive scan, these standards are no longer applicable to them.

At this point my head is starting to hurt :) .   Is there anything stopping you from going back to the software that burned "just fine"?

Brendon