• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Best Location For Files For Burn?

shawn_s

Question

I tried burning to an ISO image file from MyDVD a couple of days ago. After that completed, I burnt the image to a DVD+R. It played for a while in my Sony DVD player, but then it started stuttering and then froze up. The same thing happened when I tried playing it in my PC's DVD player. Finally, it also happened when I loaded the ISO file to my emulated DVD drive. So obviously, the problem is in the ISO image and that happened burning the MyDVD burn step I mentioned in my first sentence. I had killed my internet connection, disabled my anti-virus software, killed D2D, and any other application I didn't think needed to be running. So I don't think there was anything else that could have interfered. Now that I mention it, my screen saver may have tried kicking in, so I'll try again after disabling that.

But my ultimate question is about file locations and whether that has any affect on the burning/encoding process. I have EMC 8 Deluxe installed on my C: drive which is where I believe my system temp directory is pointed to. MyDVD's Proxy files is also pointed to my C: drive. I have my MyDVD project and AVI files on my H: drive (a USB 2.0 external Western Digital MyBook hard drive). Finally, my output ISO file is going to the same directory my AVI files live (H: drive). Does this sound like a decent configuration, or should I move something to help MyDVD out? Thanks for your opinions.

3 answers to this question

A USB 2 should give enough throughput to keep up with a burner, although I would personally prefer a Firewire.

Your results do not support your conclusions! If the ISO was faulty, it would have shown on the first DVD you burned.

If a DVD plays, then fails, it points to problem in the media.

Now it is possible that 2 unrelated events took place??? Your media failed and your ISO file got corrupted. – Does that seem as unlikely to you as it does to me?

If you have some RW media, why not burn another from the ISO to see what happens.

A USB 2 should give enough throughput to keep up with a burner, although I would personally prefer a Firewire.

Your results do not support your conclusions! If the ISO was faulty, it would have shown on the first DVD you burned.

If a DVD plays, then fails, it points to problem in the media.

Now it is possible that 2 unrelated events took place??? Your media failed and your ISO file got corrupted. – Does that seem as unlikely to you as it does to me?

If you have some RW media, why not burn another from the ISO to see what happens.

I mustn't have been clear - I do believe the fault was with the ISO because not only did the real DVD fail (the one burnt from the ISO image), but after I saw the failure I loaded the ISO image to the DVD emulator and it failed as well. So I drew the conclusion that it wasn't a media fault at all, but an ISO burn fault. Is there a tool out there that can tell if your ISO is corrupted? That would be nice to run it through a checker before burning to a DVD; sometimes I don't have the time to sit and watch the whole ISO in the emulator before burning to DVD media. Just lazy! Thanks for your input.

Archived