• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hard Drive Too Busy in the Background

Hukhound

Question

VW9 is real slow for me when working on a project with a 45min long video. I notice that my hard drive is running constantly. I checked my memory commit charge and it's at 75% peak (I have 1GB RAM).

So I figured I'll Google some utility that lets me watch my hard drive. I download File Monitor from Sysinternals.com.

It shows that VideoWave application VCGProxyFileMan:3420 is constantly reading/writing between the videoui9\proxy folder and my 45minute video avi file.

What the heck is this thing doing???? It's making VideoWave run super slow.

I have a 2.4GHz P4, 1gb RAM, 160Gb hard drive with 50Gb free on the VideoWave directories.

5 answers to this question

VW9 is real slow for me when working on a project with a 45min long video. I notice that my hard drive is running constantly. I checked my memory commit charge and it's at 75% peak (I have 1GB RAM).

So I figured I'll Google some utility that lets me watch my hard drive. I download File Monitor from Sysinternals.com.

It shows that VideoWave application VCGProxyFileMan:3420 is constantly reading/writing between the videoui9\proxy folder and my 45minute video avi file.

What the heck is this thing doing???? It's making VideoWave run super slow.

I have a 2.4GHz P4, 1gb RAM, 160Gb hard drive with 50Gb free on the VideoWave directories.

Chop that 45 min video into smaller segments, say 10-20 minutes long. VideoWave is constantly creating new previews from that looong video - that's what's keeping it so busy.

Lance

Lance is 100% correct. I've found EMC9 a huge improvement over 8 but still needs work in this department. AVI files are still much faster than mpeg for me but using smaller chunks has helped tremendously.

Also, keep your drive defragged and things go a bit better.

Actually a 45 minute AVI should not be that taxing on your PC… Before trying to chop it up, I would run the XP Defrag utility and check what is under the Startup tab in msconfig.

It does not take a lot of CPU competition, like that utility you downloaded, to start hogging CPU slices until a CPU intensive application like a video editor bogs down.

Also if this is a DivX file, there is a tremendous amount of compression/de-compression that has to take place every time you move around in the file.

Archived