• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Media Import Crash

GOOSEMON

Question

Oh man, what is going on? Over the weekend I upgraded my Antivirus because my subscription was about to expire. I previously bought Tren Micro, and continued with this years subscription. However, after installation I can not get the Media Import to stop crashing. I've searched the whole site finding similar types of problems with no solutions. Has anyone figured this out yet. It's getting real anoying.

Everything worked just find before the my Internet Security Suite update to Tren Micro 2007. However, I did create a restore point before I upgraded. So I'm thinking of roling back to my expired Anit Virus.

I'm not sure if the AV software upgrade caused the problem since I've read so many other posts regarding the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer - Custom Build:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

1 gig memory

NEC DVD/CD Burner

80 gig hard drive

Biostar motherboard w/ onboard video and audio (I know I should have a different video card, but it works)

Windows XP SP2

Trend Micro Internet Security 2007

SpySweeper

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Just when I thought things were getting easier...

BTW - I've tried repairing the software and doing a clean install w/out the AV and SpySweeper running. No good.

1 answer to this question

The problem actually is one element of Trend Micro Security Suite 2007. The part that causes the problem is the 'Anti Spam' element that incorperates itself into your email client.

If you disable or temporararily stop this running you will not get the crashes. The executable is called TMAS_OEMON.exe and sits in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE (assuming a typical install of Trend).

It is set to run when logging on. If you go to Task Manager you will see it listed under processes.

You therefore have two options to solve the problem.

1. Stop it temporarily when you want to use Media Import.

2. Disable it from running at all.

These are the solutions to each.

1. To stop it temporarily, locate it in Task Manager, highlight it and then right click and select 'end process'. To restart it go to the folder mentioned earlier and click on TMAS_OEMON.exe.

2. To disable it permenantly you will need to go into the registry and delete a key at the following registry location.

HKEY_CURRENT USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

You will see in the right hand pane the entry OE. This is the entry we need to remove. Right click then either delete it or if you feel you might want to replace it at a later date highlight it and then select File/Export from the registry toolbar. On the next log off or log on it will not load and Media Import will work.

Archived