File encoding

Jim B

Question

When I burn a 7 minute production to either an ISO file or to a DVD disk, it takes about 15 minutes to complete. My DVD drive is a HP DVD writer 840b. It's set to write at the fastest speed. (there are other selections. 16X being just below "fastest". Should I select one of those?) I'm using Memorex DVD+RW 4x, 4.7 Gb disks. Can I speed up the encoding process?

Thanks, Jim Birke

2 answers to this question

:)-->

QUOTE(Jim B @ Nov 21 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I burn a 7 minute production to either an ISO file or to a DVD disk, it takes about 15 minutes to complete. My DVD drive is a HP DVD writer 840b. It's set to write at the fastest speed. (there are other selections. 16X being just below "fastest". Should I select one of those?) I'm using Memorex DVD+RW 4x, 4.7 Gb disks. Can I speed up the encoding process?

Thanks, Jim Birke

I don't think 15 minutes for a 7 minute encode is ridiculous but what type of file are you encoding? If it's DVD compliant maybe it shouldn't take that long but if it's some sort of avi file, it could take even longer.

You should experiment with the different speeds but most likely, the setting you already have is the fastest. Of course, the larger the file, the longer the burn time.

:)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B @ Nov 21 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thanks, Jim Birke

I don't think 15 minutes for a 7 minute encode is ridiculous but what type of file are you encoding? If it's DVD compliant maybe it shouldn't take that long but if it's some sort of avi file, it could take even longer.

You should experiment with the different speeds but most likely, the setting you already have is the fastest. Of course, the larger the file, the longer the burn time.

OK. If 15 minutes is not ridiculous, I ok with that. The files I'm burning are produced by Video Wave 8, not fit to disk, and best quality. (MPEG-2 I think.)

Archived