Capturing from Sony DCR-SR80?

tonycook

Question

7 answers to this question

With hard drive camcorders, you don't need capture software. The camcorder should show up in windows as an external hard drive device. Just copy the files to your hard drive using Windows Explorer. You may need to rename the file extension depending on what extension the Sony uses.

As long as Sony is using an industry standard like MPEG 2 or MPEG 4, the files can be edited. However if Sony did like JVC and uses a non-standard extension like .MOD, then it will need to be renamed. The JVC camcorders use the standard MPEG 2 file format and I think it rather silly that they use an extension other than .MPG.

have a jvc with extension .MOD, I understand that I need to rename ext to mpeg2 but is there easy way to do a rename of all files at once.

Will I be able to use EMC9 to edit the video?
As long as Sony is using an industry standard like MPEG 2 or MPEG 4, the files can be edited. However if Sony did like JVC and uses a non-standard extension like .MOD, then it will need to be renamed. The JVC camcorders use the standard MPEG 2 file format and I think it rather silly that they use an extension other than .MPG.

I have a Sony DCR-SR80 hard drive camcorder and want to use EMC9. How will I capture the video? I do not have EMC9 yet but do not want to buy it if it is not compatible.

Thanks.

Tony

A 30 day trial version of EMC 9 is supposed to be available soon. I'm sure it will be posted on this board. You didn't say anyting about the computer that you want to have V9 on. A lot of how it works depends on that and your video card/chip set up. Post your computer specs and well give you some advice other than to make sure all your device drivers are up to date.

Archived