Trimming footage in videowave.

srollyson

Question

I have mpeg files I am working with that are about 5 minutes long each. Each of these files is about 170 MBytes in size for the entire 5 minutes. I am dragging and dropping the file onto an empty slide in the storyline view in Videowave. Of the 5 minutes, I only need like 15 seconds sometimes. So I double click on the square in the storyline view of the production editor.

This takes me to the Video Trimmer window with the 5 min file in it. I slide the green triangle in from the left and the red from the right to the points where I have captured the 20 seconds or so that I need.

Question: Is this the correct way to do something like this?

The size of one of the still pictures is .41 MBytes and for the 5 min mpeg of which I only need maybe 20 seconds of has to be around 11 Mbytes. (170 MB / 300 total secs = .56 MB/sec, .56 x 20 secs = 11.2). But the file size is still 170 MB even though I don't need but a little of it because the whole file is still in the storyline, not just the snippet I need. Is there a way to delete the rest?

This is a slideshow of about 70 stills and will eventually have about 12 video clips dropped into it that will range from 15 secs to 3 mins imbedded in it. I need to make this as small as possible so I can fit it and other slideshows onto one DVD.

I am still a novice so please help.

Shannon

2 answers to this question

I have mpeg files I am working with that are about 5 minutes long each. Each of these files is about 170 MBytes in size for the entire 5 minutes. I am dragging and dropping the file onto an empty slide in the storyline view in Videowave. Of the 5 minutes, I only need like 15 seconds sometimes. So I double click on the square in the storyline view of the production editor.

This takes me to the Video Trimmer window with the 5 min file in it. I slide the green triangle in from the left and the red from the right to the points where I have captured the 20 seconds or so that I need.

Question: Is this the correct way to do something like this?

The size of one of the still pictures is .41 MBytes and for the 5 min mpeg of which I only need maybe 20 seconds of has to be around 11 Mbytes. (170 MB / 300 total secs = .56 MB/sec, .56 x 20 secs = 11.2). But the file size is still 170 MB even though I don't need but a little of it because the whole file is still in the storyline, not just the snippet I need. Is there a way to delete the rest?

This is a slideshow of about 70 stills and will eventually have about 12 video clips dropped into it that will range from 15 secs to 3 mins imbedded in it. I need to make this as small as possible so I can fit it and other slideshows onto one DVD.

I am still a novice so please help.

Shannon

Shannon don't worry about file size, what is important is the time length of you production. A standard DVD will hold 60 minutes of video at best quality

Archived