MyDVD help needed for wedding video

PeterF

Question

I have a 45 minute wedding video called 'wedding video.mpg'. The first 15 minutes of 'wedding video.mpg' is the rehearsal and the remaining 30 minutes is the ceremony.

I want to create a DVD that has just one menu page which has two menu selections; 1. Rehearsal, and 2. Ceremony.

MyDVD, by default, creates the first button automatically when I drag in 'wedding video.mpg'. It's called 'wedding video'. I simply change the button name to 'Rehearsal' and I have my first button. But how do I add another button called 'Ceremony' which takes me to the 15 minute mark of the video.

I know how to create chapters but I don't know how to link to a chapter on the main menu. In the help file, they talk about adding unlinked buttons to a menu as well as how to link them after they are created but my version of MyDVD does not seem to have this functionality. I have 'Roxio MyDVD Premier 8'. Is there another version or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

20 answers to this question

sknis: I have to say these versions of Sonic software are confusing as far as what version a person has.

You say I do not have EMC 8 with Roxio MyDVD Premier 8. How do I tell exactly what I do have. I mean, when I open the VideoWave portion of Roxio MyDVD Premier 8 and click on 'about' it reports that I have 'Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 (Build 805B68JENU).

What does your EMC 8 say?

Build 8.06 - that is the Deluxe.

Yours has the updated EMC V8 Suite functions. Do you have all the audio editing functions like Sound Editor etc?

Yes it is confusing :huh: Actually there were three different subversions in V8 and then all the stand alone versions. My DVD 8 Premier is a stand alone that has the video functionality but not all the audio functions. :)

myguggi: I agree that my first post did not clearly emphasize that I wanted to create the DVD from a single file. I think my assumption was that everyone has the same objective since doing it any other way causes 'freezes' when going from one file to another. I did state that I had one file but I see thatmy wording did not exclude solutions that include breaking up the file, either literally or with more than one project that reference that file.

You state that all software will have the same limitation regarding the inability to create a DVD from a single file (or project) yet have just one menu page that points to several chapters. I am surprised by that. Aren't you? Can you point to a reference that confirms this? If not, I'd like to keep searching for a solution. It seems that most people would want this functionality. Especially for DVD's with only a couple of chapters. It seems a waste to have to go to a second menu page.

If I might step in here because I am having a problem understanding this also. I wonder if your basic premise is misunderstood. You talk about a freeze going from one show to the other and you do indicate that you want to be able to play either section independently. If you have two items on your menu and want to select either one, you would normally want to return to the menu after playing one so you could select to watch that one again or watch the other. If so, where would the freeze come in? Have you seen this freeze? Could you describe what happens when you see the freeze? How long?

Perhaps you are looking for two buttons that link to the same movie. One that you would press and it would play the entire movie (one video) and one that would take you to the chapters? Perhaps you want three buttons; one to play the entire movie, one to play the rehearsal and one to play the wedding? You could produce three projects in Video Wave, one you already have - the entire movie. You then could make two other projects with the two sections you want. You can then add all three to the menu.

I'm sure that you have what you want clearly in your mind but it is losing something in the translation and all of us are getting frustrated. :)

In your original post, you indicated that you had EMC 8 (signature) and also were using MyDVD Premier 8 which is almost a lite version of that program so you do not have all the options. Which one do you have? The non-stripped down version would allow you more leeway but I'm pretty sure that upgrading to that is not a option. There is supposed to be a 30 day trial of EMC 9 available soon; perhaps you can wait to try that. If that doesn't work, and you have the hard disc space, other programs do have trial versions, some are handicapped as to what you can do. It may be time to do some more homework. The only concern is to make sure your computer will meet or exceed the minimum system requirements.

Hey malatekid. You have me at a bit of a disadvantage since I am not at home for a couple of days so I can't verify your response but I want you to weigh your response carefully.

You are saying that your method will NOT create two seperate mpgs on the target DVD disc?

You are saying, in other words, that MyDVD has the smarts to place my originating mpg on my target DVD (in it's entirety, I guess?) because it knows that my two project files point to the same mgp. And then it will play just the two sections that I designate in my two project files? With no 'freeze' between files, I might add?

OK, I'm being a bit sarcastic, I'll give you that. But really . . .

What if I had ten large originating mpgs, each 10 gigs in size and I had a project file for each originating mpg that isolated, say, 100 megs from each mpg. Would I, or would I not, be able to burn a single DVD of the 10 project files. I mean, the originating files total 100 gigs. It would be a bit of a problem to place them all on a DVD wouldn't it? But the overall viewable video would only be 10x100 megs on the DVD which is no problem, as far as size is concerned.

What do you think?

sknis: Ahah, maybe part of the problem is that I am confused about what software I have. I purchased an HP media center, as per my signature, that came with some basic Sonic software. I exercised my option to upgrade it to MyDVD Premier 8 for a cost of about 70 dollars. Is this not the same as EMC 8?

My objectives do indeed seem to be missunderstood.

I have a 43 minute video called 'wedding video.mpg'. I want to create a DVD from this file that, when played, displays a single page menu. I want two items on the menu, 1. Rehearsal, which plays the DVD from the beginning and, if not interrupted, will play right to the end of the DVD (all 43 minutes). The second item would be called 2. Ceremony, which plays the DVD from about the 15 minute mark to the end of the DVD.

The freezes I encounter happen if I use two or more mpgs (or projects) to create a DVD. They occur between the transitions from one file to another during play. In the example above, if I break up 'wedding video.mpg' into two mpgs (or projects) and create a DVD, I can achieve my one page menu objective but when the DVD gets to the end of the rehearsal and continues on to the ceremony, there is a short freeze of about a second as the DVD starts up the second file. You can hear the DVD moving to the second file. You can also see the difference in the file structure on the DVD between using one mpg and using more than one mpg. This freeze also occures if I play the DVD image on my computer.

Conversely, if I use one file to create my DVD, and just create a chapter for the ceremony, I get smooth play through the transition from the rehearsal to the ceremony. My problem is that my DVD creation software does not allow me to make this one-file DVD with a single page menu. I must use a two page menu. This may not seem to you to be a big problem. Perhaps it isn't. But I started this thread which, what I thought was a simple question as to how to create a one-file DVD with a one page menu.

Some of the online helf talks about creating unlinked buttons and then being able to link these buttons. This would seem to be a way to create my one page menu from a one-file DVD project but my version of MyDVD does not support unlinked buttons.

Hey malatekid. You have me at a bit of a disadvantage since I am not at home for a couple of days so I can't verify your response but I want you to weigh your response carefully.

You are saying that your method will NOT create two seperate mpgs on the target DVD disc?

You are saying, in other words, that MyDVD has the smarts to place my originating mpg on my target DVD (in it's entirety, I guess?) because it knows that my two project files point to the same mgp. And then it will play just the two sections that I designate in my two project files? With no 'freeze' between files, I might add?

OK, I'm being a bit sarcastic, I'll give you that. But really . . .

What if I had ten large originating mpgs, each 10 gigs in size and I had a project file for each originating mpg that isolated, say, 100 megs from each mpg. Would I, or would I not, be able to burn a single DVD of the 10 project files. I mean, the originating files total 100 gigs. It would be a bit of a problem to place them all on a DVD wouldn't it? But the overall viewable video would only be 10x100 megs on the DVD which is no problem, as far as size is concerned.

What do you think?

Malatekid has described how to create the DVD with 2 buttons on the main menu page. The video for the 1st button (Rehearsal) will consist of the rehearsal video and the 2nd button (Wedding) only the wedding part. I think it might be helpful if you read up on how a DVD is structured and the files that are placed on the DVD. A project file is not a video file but only a set of instruction on how to create the video file that is eventually burned to the DVD.

sknis: Ahah, maybe part of the problem is that I am confused about what software I have. I purchased an HP media center, as per my signature, that came with some basic Sonic software. I exercised my option to upgrade it to MyDVD Premier 8 for a cost of about 70 dollars. Is this not the same as EMC 8?

My objectives do indeed seem to be missunderstood.

I have a 43 minute video called 'wedding video.mpg'. I want to create a DVD from this file that, when played, displays a single page menu. I want two items on the menu, 1. Rehearsal, which plays the DVD from the beginning and, if not interrupted, will play right to the end of the DVD (all 43 minutes). The second item would be called 2. Ceremony, which plays the DVD from about the 15 minute mark to the end of the DVD.

The freezes I encounter happen if I use two or more mpgs (or projects) to create a DVD. They occur between the transitions from one file to another during play. In the example above, if I break up 'wedding video.mpg' into two mpgs (or projects) and create a DVD, I can achieve my one page menu objective but when the DVD gets to the end of the rehearsal and continues on to the ceremony, there is a short freeze of about a second as the DVD starts up the second file. You can hear the DVD moving to the second file. You can also see the difference in the file structure on the DVD between using one mpg and using more than one mpg. This freeze also occures if I play the DVD image on my computer.

Conversely, if I use one file to create my DVD, and just create a chapter for the ceremony, I get smooth play through the transition from the rehearsal to the ceremony. My problem is that my DVD creation software does not allow me to make this one-file DVD with a single page menu. I must use a two page menu. This may not seem to you to be a big problem. Perhaps it isn't. But I started this thread which, what I thought was a simple question as to how to create a one-file DVD with a one page menu.

Some of the online helf talks about creating unlinked buttons and then being able to link these buttons. This would seem to be a way to create my one page menu from a one-file DVD project but my version of MyDVD does not support unlinked buttons.

Yes, MyDVD Premier is not the same as EMC 8. You have essentially MyDVD with some associated software to make your DVD. You do not have all the other functions that would be available in EMC 8 such as the full VideoWave. Yes, you do not have the ability to make unlinked buttons but there is a work around but it will still give you a second menu page.

The three separate projects (all, rehearsal, and wedding) still seems to be your best bet. Remember if you are using a video to make a project and cut off some, you do not change the original video. The program only creates a road map to the parts of the video to be included. You can use that one file over and over again. (while, reh,Wedd).

hey guggi: i admitted in my last post that I was being a bit sarcastic. I'm willing to admit that . . .

So guiggi, you are telling me to read up on how a DVD is structured. Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me how a DVD is structured. In the process, please explain to me how using two project files to create a DVD will result in one resulting mpg file on the DVD, as malatekid suggests.

I wish you good luck.

hey guggi: i admitted in my last post that I was being a bit sarcastic. I'm willing to admit that . . .

So guiggi, you are telling me to read up on how a DVD is structured. Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me how a DVD is structured. In the process, please explain to me how using two project files to create a DVD will result in one resulting mpg file on the DVD, as malatekid suggests.

I wish you good luck.

Do a google search on "DVD file structure" - here is a initial link

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/192714

There is no such thing as "one resulting mpg file on the DVD" and malatekid did not suggest that.

Peter; you are distracting yourself from your project with all this file nonsense. DVD Movie structure is unlike anything you can imagine and that is why we have authoring software. If you want to read up on it for intellectual curiosity, use the link Walt provided.

If you want to get your project done, follow what malatedkid and I have suggested and make a test burn on RW media and see what happens.

sknis: I have to say these versions of Sonic software are confusing as far as what version a person has.

You say I do not have EMC 8 with Roxio MyDVD Premier 8. How do I tell exactly what I do have. I mean, when I open the VideoWave portion of Roxio MyDVD Premier 8 and click on 'about' it reports that I have 'Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 (Build 805B68JENU).

What does your EMC 8 say?

Bring the mpg file to Videowave. If say you want to break that big file into two smaller files you can do the following (some texts borrowed from James' advise from another post):

1) decide at what point in the big file where you want to split it

2) Use the Split icon at the point decided in step 1 and at the end of the big file. Click on the 2nd portion and press Delete. This leaves the first portion. Save this production

3) Do step 2 but this time click on the first portion and press Delete. This leaves the second portion. Save this production using another name.

4) In MyDVD use Add Photo/Video and bring in the two productions. That should create two selectable menus.

Deleting a portion of your clip may sound scary until you realize that when you save a Production in VW, your original clip is never altered in any way!

A VW Production file (.dmsm) is merely a set of notes instructing the program as to what you want the output to look like. Thus you can use the same clip many different ways and the raw clip is always left intact.

Thanks malatekid and james. Yes, I am aware of this method and indeed it does work. However there are several shortcomings to this approach:

1. It is slow because it must re-render both clips (a similar method would be to first create two seperate mpg files),

2. It places two seperate files on the DVD causing a short 'freeze' during the transition from clip one to clip two. In this case, it would not be a serious issue since there are only two clips but may be a problem if there were more clips.

As per my first post, a preferred method would be to create a chapter for the second clip (the ceremony) which could be referenced on the first (and only) menu page.

Is it true that Easy Creator 9 has this functionality?

??? Not at all what you described in your original post!

You were talking about 2 separate Titles; Rehearsal and Ceremony.

If you save a VW Project (no rending) of each and Open MyDVD you add a Title using the Rehearsal.dmsm then add another Title using the Ceremony.dmsm.

You are only rendering once and these are not chapters. They are two distinct movies and there will be a 'bump' when it goes to the next one, just like there is an abrupt 'bump' in the way you recorded them.

James. First of all, let me apologize for my tone last night. I was a little frustrated.

One major point which I have not clearly stated is that I want to create DVD's from a single mpg file (or project). I have discovered that this is the only way to obtain 'freeze free' play DVD from beginning to end. Otherwise there is a short freeze when the DVD switches from one file to the other. I have noticed several posts that have also mentioned creating DVD's from a single file as a 'best practice' for this reason.

So to re-state my objectives:

1. I want to burn a DVD from a single mpg file (or a single project, which would also provide 'freeze free' play),

2. I want to have a single page menu which can reference several chapters. In the example I am using, I have one file called 'wedding video.mpg' and I want to have two menu selections, one called 'Rehearsal' which comprises the first 15 minutes of the file, and a second menus selection called 'Ceremony' which is the remaining 30 minutes of the file.

I know that you can achieve my second object very easily my simply using two mpg files (or two projects). Problem is, there is a short freeze when a given file ends and another one starts.

It does appear that EMC 8 cannot do what I am asking unless anyone can come up with a method.

I have asked several times whether anyone knows if version 9 can do this. I have not received an answer. Perhaps I should be asking this question in the version 9 forum.

James. First of all, let me apologize for my tone last night. I was a little frustrated.

One major point which I have not clearly stated is that I want to create DVD's from a single mpg file (or project). I have discovered that this is the only way to obtain 'freeze free' play DVD from beginning to end. Otherwise there is a short freeze when the DVD switches from one file to the other. I have noticed several posts that have also mentioned creating DVD's from a single file as a 'best practice' for this reason.

So to re-state my objectives:

1. I want to burn a DVD from a single mpg file (or a single project, which would also provide 'freeze free' play),

2. I want to have a single page menu which can reference several chapters. In the example I am using, I have one file called 'wedding video.mpg' and I want to have two menu selections, one called 'Rehearsal' which comprises the first 15 minutes of the file, and a second menus selection called 'Ceremony' which is the remaining 30 minutes of the file.

I know that you can achieve my second object very easily my simply using two mpg files (or two projects). Problem is, there is a short freeze when a given file ends and another one starts.

It does appear that EMC 8 cannot do what I am asking unless anyone can come up with a method.

I have asked several times whether anyone knows if version 9 can do this. I have not received an answer. Perhaps I should be asking this question in the version 9 forum.

In your first post you stated

"I want to create a DVD that has just one menu page which has two menu selections; 1. Rehearsal, and 2. Ceremony."

How to do this has been explained several times above... I am now completely confused about what you want and give up. EMC 9 behaves exactly the same way as will other authoring software.

myguggi: I agree that my first post did not clearly emphasize that I wanted to create the DVD from a single file. I think my assumption was that everyone has the same objective since doing it any other way causes 'freezes' when going from one file to another. I did state that I had one file but I see thatmy wording did not exclude solutions that include breaking up the file, either literally or with more than one project that reference that file.

You state that all software will have the same limitation regarding the inability to create a DVD from a single file (or project) yet have just one menu page that points to several chapters. I am surprised by that. Aren't you? Can you point to a reference that confirms this? If not, I'd like to keep searching for a solution. It seems that most people would want this functionality. Especially for DVD's with only a couple of chapters. It seems a waste to have to go to a second menu page.

No, James, I said I had a file (meaning one file) which is called 'wedding video.mpg'. I believe if you read my original post again you will see this. And the first 15 minutes of this file is the rehearsal and the remaining 30 minutes is the ceremony.

BTW, does anybody know if Easy Creator 9 has the features I am looking for.

No, James, I said I had a file (meaning one file) which is called 'wedding video.mpg'. I believe if you read my original post again you will see this. And the first 15 minutes of this file is the rehearsal and the remaining 30 minutes is the ceremony.

BTW, does anybody know if Easy Creator 9 has the features I am looking for.

In MyDVD, if you bring in each dmsm file (there will be two if you did the steps I outlined earlier) by selecting Add Movie, this should create a menu button for each one on the same menu page. Your original mpg file is intact, the dmsm files only create set of instructions pointing to the appropriate section of the original mpg.

Archived