• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDVD Essentials - Import, DLA, and Edit problems

Robster

Question

I recently purchased MyDVD Essentials 8 and there are (at least) a few features that don't seem to work. Firstly, if this would be easier if I broke this up into separate threads, I'll do so.

1) Import video - When I click capture/import, and select "Video" as the source, my media is recognized, but does nothing when I select it. I've tried both a DVD recorded with my DVD recorder, as well as one created with MyDVD Essentials 8. Neither work. Am I supposed to see a list of videos on the disk or something? All I see is the instructions to select device (which I already did).

2) Edit video - From the main window (Roxio Home), I see the link for Edit video under DVD&Video. Clicking does nothing. However, I seem to be able to edit (ie. adjust duration) from within MyDVD. I'd like to be able to edit videos directly rather than only after adding them to a DVD project. So there's two issues here - why does the link not work, and can I edit a video file without adding it to a project? For example, could I bring up an AVI file, trim something from it, and then re-save it as an AVI.

3) During the installation process, I was "told" that DLA is not compatible and must be removed. I'm working on a Dell Inpsiron laptop that came with MyDVD LE and Sonic Digitalmedia. Now when I click on a blank CD in the windows explorer (My Computer), I get an error message. I suspect this is because DLA is removed. Is there some way to re-enable this that is compatible with MyDVD Essentials?

Thanks for any guidance to the above three items.

Rob

6 answers to this question

An update:

Thanks for the response. I just wiped my entire system (Windows and all) and did a fresh install. Oddly, the Edit Video function didn't appear. Perhaps it is not included in this version and somehow got partially installed (ie. the link showed) the first time I installed. Odd.

So if I understand you correctly, with regard to the import video feature, you're suggesting that Roxio 8 does not import from DVD? That's certainly the way it's behaving (ie. it won't import), but in the instructions that come up when I select capture/import, it says the following:

============================================

Video Import

- Transfer videos from camcorders.

- Import video from DVDs.

- Capture video from a video capture card.

To begin, click the button for the device from which you wish to capture video.

The pull down menu appears to be dynamic, in that only recognized devices appear. In my case, when I insert a DVD, the DVD drive appears in the list below Video. However, selecting it does nothing. If I select Photos, and select the DVD, I get a listing (icons) of pictures on the DVD.

Further, when I do select the DVD under Video, the instructions change to the following.

Welcome to Roxio Media Import

Roxio Media Import is a tool that lets you:

- Transfer photos and videos from digital cameras and camcorders, and other portable devices.

- Import audio and video from CDs and DVDs.

- Record audio from a sound card.

- Capture video from a video capture card.

- Scan images.

To begin, click one of the buttons above to select the type of media you would like to import.

It at least appears that I should be able to import from DVD.

On that note, I've noticed that VOB is an available file type for importing video into a project. When I do so, however, I can't edit chapters or the duration (or other aspects as well for that matter), and the main menu turns and can no longer be seen. Really strange.

Any further suggestions?

Rob: You did say you had purchased MyDVD8 Essentials and somehow I overlooked that. Sorry for mistake.

Frankly we do not know what is in that package as most of here are up to speed on EMC 8, which is a different software!

I think it consists of Sonic applications, but I could not pin it down. As a result, I have no idea what you can and cannot do within the application…

You may want to go to Support on the Sonic site and ask these import questions. While both sites sell it, Sonic is better suited to support it.

The Help file also says "Not all features are present in all versions" or words to that affect.

You have a scaled down OEM version and you have to face up to that fact. Also GPB pointed out that no version of V8 was able to capture from the HD.

You may or may not be able to "import" vob files using Media Import. That is going to depend on whether your 'Essentials' version will allow it.

One thing that mostly works. Copy the vob files to your HD and rename them to mpg. They should work just like mpg files.

General Observations on Trial and OEM software… Don't install it or remove it if pre-installed. Buy the software you need to do what you want. If various levels are available, buy the level above your current needs – you will grow. Get the top of the line if you can afford it.

Exceptions to trial software: If looking at several manufactures and they offer a trial version, by all means install and use it then remove it. Do it one at a time and keep notes of what you tried so it is an apples to apples comparison.

I recently purchased MyDVD Essentials 8 and there are (at least) a few features that don't seem to work. Firstly, if this would be easier if I broke this up into separate threads, I'll do so.

1) Import video - When I click capture/import, and select "Video" as the source, my media is recognized, but does nothing when I select it. I've tried both a DVD recorded with my DVD recorder, as well as one created with MyDVD Essentials 8. Neither work. Am I supposed to see a list of videos on the disk or something? All I see is the instructions to select device (which I already did).

2) Edit video - From the main window (Roxio Home), I see the link for Edit video under DVD&Video. Clicking does nothing. However, I seem to be able to edit (ie. adjust duration) from within MyDVD. I'd like to be able to edit videos directly rather than only after adding them to a DVD project. So there's two issues here - why does the link not work, and can I edit a video file without adding it to a project? For example, could I bring up an AVI file, trim something from it, and then re-save it as an AVI.

3) During the installation process, I was "told" that DLA is not compatible and must be removed. I'm working on a Dell Inpsiron laptop that came with MyDVD LE and Sonic Digitalmedia. Now when I click on a blank CD in the windows explorer (My Computer), I get an error message. I suspect this is because DLA is removed. Is there some way to re-enable this that is compatible with MyDVD Essentials?

Thanks for any guidance to the above three items.

Rob

I have never had the Essentials version, so I am not sure what is disabled and what is not. I know it is a very stripped down version of the software, so I would imagine that there are quite a few features that are not available.

I do know that for video work, no version of Roxio 8 will capture from the hard drive. If you are capturing from a camcorder, you either need to be connected to your computer via firewire, or use the software that came with the camcorder and use the file in VideoWave, if the MyDVD 8 includes it.

The Help file also says "Not all features are present in all versions" or words to that affect.

You have a scaled down OEM version and you have to face up to that fact. Also GPB pointed out that no version of V8 was able to capture from the HD.

I "had" a scaled down OEM version, but followed the invitation to purchase an upgrade. Essentials was the logical upgrade path for me, since all I really need it to do is adjust duration and add chapters. These are both handled quite nicely in Essentials version, though they weren't in my scaled down OEM version that came with my Dell. I don't mind forking over a few dollars, but I'm not interested in spending more than I need to. I had previously been converting my DVD's to AVI format using Auto Gordian Knot (Open source) and then importing into MyDVD. The import option in Essentials appears to bypass the AutoGK step. I'm just a bit confused as to whether I'm dealing with a watered down software limitation, or a defect. Their marketing people have done a nice job everywhere else in the software so as to point me to an upgrade after clicking on a feature that's not available in Essentials - it seems odd that they wouldn't say that in the import screen as well like "In order to import from a DVD you need to upgrade, click here to do so" or whatever.

One thing that mostly works. Copy the vob files to your HD and rename them to mpg. They should work just like mpg files.

General Observations on Trial and OEM software… Don't install it or remove it if pre-installed. Buy the software you need to do what you want.

As I said, I'm working with the full package from Roxio. It's not linked at all with my Sonic/Dell version that I had previously - it's a separate standalone package that I purchased as an "upgrade". I have indeed bought the software that does what I need, but I'm confused as to this particular function. I wasn't aware that vob files were merely mpg files in disguise, so I'll give that a whirl. Perhaps I won't need to import after all (athough I'm still in the dark with regard to the defect/limitation issue).

In summary, I just need to know how I can contact Roxio to see if the import from DVD is a defect or a limitation in Essentials? If it's a limitation, I'll live with that (the VOB rename to mpg should work nicely), but if it's a defect, obviously I'd like a fix, not merely a work around as the vob to mpg seems to be. I've done a bit of research on it and found somewhere where it indicated that mostly they're mpg files, but not necessarily always.

Thanks,

Rob

Archived