• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Multiple Problems

Bruce S

Question

I am the family tech support -retired software engineer having provided professional support for high end simulation software (how about $185K per disk) as well as virtually all MS Windows platforms. Point is, I am not a novice. My daughter just received a new Dell XPS 700. As I configured it for her I know it has plenty of horsepower. She had used EC 7.5 on her old system but purchased 9.0 figuring newer is better. What a mistake.

1. Could not open 7.5 DVD creations - no backward compatibility?

2. Built a new DVD project but continually gets "DVDContext.cpp(17):xxx Error 80004005" error. We did kludge a workaround by toggling between viewing the title image and the storyline in a convoluted fashion. And yes, the Nvidia video card has the latest (11/06) drivers. DirectX 9 is also current.

3. Cannot get the edit audio to come up in the DVD project. Fit to project length works intermittently.

4. Other difficulties I am not going to waste my time any further enumerating.

I am returning 9.0 for a refund. In my professional (see paragraph 1) opinion, this software has been released in alpha state (not even beta). The bugs and problems are guaranteed to totally intimidate your standard home user. Sorry Roxio, you lost ground on this one.

10 answers to this question

BRUCE...HELP!!!!!!! FROM MYDVD 6..UPGRADED TO MYDVY9 DELUXE....THEN TO THE *SWEET* EZM CREATOR 9 (WHCIH INCLUDED mydvd9)....soOOOOOOOO MANY PROBLEMS...I HAVE SPENT MORE TIME WITH HELP...AND TRYING TO GET HELP THAN I HAVE WITH THE PROGRAM! do you know of another program that has chapters and menues that I can create like MYDVD9??? I am ready to request a refund and give up on Roxio!!! email me at goadk123@yahoo.com...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

The Bruce that you are posting a response to, has not been back to the forums since late November of last year.

You would be better off starting a new thread.

Bruce,

I totally agree with you this is not ready for prime time software. There are a few here that seem to challange anyone that post problems. I suspect that they may be Roxio employee's. I have had so many problems with this software that it would take a book to list them all. I have tried everything from mulitple repairs, reinstalls, video driver updates, CD and DVD firmware updates, you name it I have tried it. My computer is a DELL XPS600 2G Ram Nvidia 7900GS X2 and two 300G HD's. I firmly believe that Easy Media Creator 9 has some serious issues that Roxio does not want to admit. This is the only program out of many installed on my computer. Only Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 has issues. I would have returned the software for a refund but I waited too long. I wasted time thinking that a fix was in the works. Tech support is really lacking, most times I get connected with a person who has a problems understanding or speaking english. I have about a dozen outstanding tickests with no response yet. I have seen many users post the exact same problems I have, and no one yet has come up with a fix that actully works. It is very easy to blame problems on spyware, Web Browsers, lack of computer resources, bad drivers, and the list goes on and on. Good coding practices should at minimum detect and report what the exact problem may be. Instead there are unexplained crashes, hangs, and error messages thatyou nothing. Since I am stuck with this software I will keep checking on the chance a fix is posted. My guess is the fix will be to buy Easy Media Creator 10 with a host of new problems.

I went back to EC 7.5 and thanks to this group I discovered that I had to remove MSIE 7 (it kills the 'Add Title' function. At least that version works OK for what my daughter does. Thanks again,

Bruce

I am the family tech support -retired software engineer having provided professional support for high end simulation software (how about $185K per disk) as well as virtually all MS Windows platforms. Point is, I am not a novice. My daughter just received a new Dell XPS 700. As I configured it for her I know it has plenty of horsepower. She had used EC 7.5 on her old system but purchased 9.0 figuring newer is better. What a mistake.

2. Built a new DVD project but continually gets "DVDContext.cpp(17):xxx Error 80004005" error. We did kludge a workaround by toggling between viewing the title image and the storyline in a convoluted fashion. And yes, the Nvidia video card has the latest (11/06) drivers. DirectX 9 is also current.

3. Cannot get the edit audio to come up in the DVD project. Fit to project length works intermittently.

I am returning 9.0 for a refund. In my professional (see paragraph 1) opinion, this software has been released in alpha state (not even beta). The bugs and problems are guaranteed to totally intimidate your standard home user. Sorry Roxio, you lost ground on this one.

Bruce,

I totally agree with you this is not ready for prime time software. There are a few here that seem to challange anyone that post problems. I suspect that they may be Roxio employee's. I have had so many problems with this software that it would take a book to list them all. I have tried everything from mulitple repairs, reinstalls, video driver updates, CD and DVD firmware updates, you name it I have tried it. My computer is a DELL XPS600 2G Ram Nvidia 7900GS X2 and two 300G HD's. I firmly believe that Easy Media Creator 9 has some serious issues that Roxio does not want to admit. This is the only program out of many installed on my computer. Only Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 has issues. I would have returned the software for a refund but I waited too long. I wasted time thinking that a fix was in the works. Tech support is really lacking, most times I get connected with a person who has a problems understanding or speaking english. I have about a dozen outstanding tickests with no response yet. I have seen many users post the exact same problems I have, and no one yet has come up with a fix that actully works. It is very easy to blame problems on spyware, Web Browsers, lack of computer resources, bad drivers, and the list goes on and on. Good coding practices should at minimum detect and report what the exact problem may be. Instead there are unexplained crashes, hangs, and error messages thatyou nothing. Since I am stuck with this software I will keep checking on the chance a fix is posted. My guess is the fix will be to buy Easy Media Creator 10 with a host of new problems.

Bruce,

You are wrong about the folks here being Roxio employees, unless they have the Roxio logo by their name.

Your computer should run EMC 9 with no problems at all. You have a Dell that no doubt came loaded with a bunch of lite versions of software. I have never had a Dell computer, but a lot of the folks who post here have them, and the first thing that some of them did was dump all of the software that came on the Dell, prior to installing the Roxio suite. They did not have any problems with the software, then.

That may not apply to you, but it could be an option. Hopefully, one of the others who have a Dell will drop in here and offer more information.

There are software programs out there that cost hundreds of dollars more than EMC 9. They may better suite your needs, although I have not experienced the problems you have, when using the program.

I use VideoWave for all of my production work, so if you aren't using it, you should be.

Oh, I agree with you on the backwards compatibility. I finished all of the projects that I was working on in EMC 7.5 before I installed EMC 9. It is irritating that you can't open a 7.5 project in 9 without losing all text and most of the transitions.

You are wrong about the folks here being Roxio employees, unless they have the Roxio logo by their name.

Your computer should run EMC 9 with no problems at all. You have a Dell that no doubt came loaded with a bunch of lite versions of software. I have never had a Dell computer, but a lot of the folks who post here have them, and the first thing that some of them did was dump all of the software that came on the Dell, prior to installing the Roxio suite. They did not have any problems with the software, then.

That may not apply to you, but it could be an option. Hopefully, one of the others who have a Dell will drop in here and offer more information.

Been there done that. I cleared everything, also did a clean install by following Roxio instructions. I run Diskkeeper which keeps my disk defragged to the max. I have run virus scans, malware scans, spyware scans. It is so frustrating and from reading post on this forums I am not alone. There is just no logical reason for software to be behaving the way Easy Media Creator does. I am not sure why some folks on here insist that there could not possibly be a defect in the software. I would really like to witness someone run all the included software without a hitch. I am keeping a log of every error I get and will be posting it soon.

Thanks

Been there done that. I cleared everything, also did a clean install by following Roxio instructions. I run Diskkeeper which keeps my disk defragged to the max. I have run virus scans, malware scans, spyware scans. It is so frustrating and from reading post on this forums I am not alone. There is just no logical reason for software to be behaving the way Easy Media Creator does. I am not sure why some folks on here insist that there could not possibly be a defect in the software. I would really like to witness someone run all the included software without a hitch. I am keeping a log of every error I get and will be posting it soon.

Thanks

Come on over to my house. We'll have a few beers while I am running through all of the programs. :)

BRUCE...HELP!!!!!!! FROM MYDVD 6..UPGRADED TO MYDVY9 DELUXE....THEN TO THE *SWEET* EZM CREATOR 9 (WHCIH INCLUDED mydvd9)....soOOOOOOOO MANY PROBLEMS...I HAVE SPENT MORE TIME WITH HELP...AND TRYING TO GET HELP THAN I HAVE WITH THE PROGRAM! do you know of another program that has chapters and menues that I can create like MYDVD9??? I am ready to request a refund and give up on Roxio!!! email me at goadk123@yahoo.com...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I have been trying to resolve a problem with Roxio EMC8 on a new computer with about the same specs as shown by Bruce S, for the two weeks - quite simple 8000xxxxx errors while encoding a previously completed home movie. This movie was made by the same EMC8 on a prior Dell 8200 computer without any problem. And, I would admit that computer had more rubbish on it than this new one and no problem with EMC8 doing what it is suppose to do.

What is the consumer to do? I have been on both the Dell and Roxio Forums looking for answers. I have done the fixes, check that the drivers are current, did the IE 7 removal, removed the Dell's trial softwares, uninstalled and installed EMC8, work with Dell technicians, etc., etc. All Roxio's support is saying is to try version 9 "it may help". After reading the all the problems with version 9 - some similar with what I am having now with version 8 and still Roxio support is not able to pinpoint the problem and resolve these issues, why would anyone want to upgrade?

Now, I find that I cannot uninstall the Roxio EMC8 off my old Dell 8200 computer which worked days before I made the transfer to this new Dell XPS 410. When I try to remove it I get the following: "Error 1324 - The path program files contains an invalid character". Does anyone has a solution to this? Roxio should have a suitable support environ with links for these error messages. Web Ticket and Roxanne do not provide adequate support. Can Roxio explain what the truly simplest configuration under which EMCx will work using all its features will work?

Thank anyone for helping with a solution.

Archived