• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Transition quality question

dovbniakwesley

Question

First, cdanteek, skins, zack, grandpabruce, and james hardin, thanks for your help on my last thread, "Two questions, dropped slides in a slide show dvd and timing"

I have another one. My question relates to the fade transition you can set on a slideshow (in particular, dissolve). It works great and everything but when I burn to a DVD, a funny thing happens. The picture comes out slightly pixelated. You can't notice it very much but it definately is there. If you pay close attention to the transition, you can see the pixelation, almost as if the transition did not fully complete. Keep looking and you can see that when the slide you are viewing begins to transition away, it looks great, no pixelation. The next picture comes in and looks pixelated. It transitions away and just before it disapears, it looks great.

Again, it's almost as if the transition does not fully complete. :)

Lucky me! Last Christmas my wife bought the family a Sony 42" High Def TV. When viewing the photos from our camera, they look awesome! However, when I run the slide shows with transitions (dissolve) you can easily see the proble I noted above.

Has anyone come across this problem? I have run all updates to my sw but to no avail. I am going to try and create the same slideshows without a transition and see what happens.

Thanks again.

5 answers to this question

First, cdanteek, skins, zack, grandpabruce, and james hardin, thanks for your help on my last thread, "Two questions, dropped slides in a slide show dvd and timing"

I have another one. My question relates to the fade transition you can set on a slideshow (in particular, dissolve). It works great and everything but when I burn to a DVD, a funny thing happens. The picture comes out slightly pixelated. You can't notice it very much but it definately is there. If you pay close attention to the transition, you can see the pixelation, almost as if the transition did not fully complete. Keep looking and you can see that when the slide you are viewing begins to transition away, it looks great, no pixelation. The next picture comes in and looks pixelated. It transitions away and just before it disapears, it looks great.

Again, it's almost as if the transition does not fully complete. :)

Lucky me! Last Christmas my wife bought the family a Sony 42" High Def TV. When viewing the photos from our camera, they look awesome! However, when I run the slide shows with transitions (dissolve) you can easily see the proble I noted above.

Has anyone come across this problem? I have run all updates to my sw but to no avail. I am going to try and create the same slideshows without a transition and see what happens.

Thanks again.

It may be possible that your computer just can't keep up. Please post your computer specs in your signature.

Have you tried to burn to a iso (image) file rather than directly to a DVD blank? This separates the encoding of the project from the actual burning and usually gives better results. Once you have the iso file encoded, you can preview it in Disc copier to see if the artifacts are there.

Wow, fast response!

Here are my pc specs (less than a year old):

AMD Athelon 64 3200+ processor

1 GIG RAM

16X multi layer dvd burner

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card with 256 mg RAM

As far as creating the ISO file, I will try this. However, you say that I can check and see if the artifacts are there by viewing it in disc copier. Excuse my dumb question (newbie!), but when you say I can view it in disc copier, do you mean I can run the slide show and check the quality? Also, by artifacts, what do you mean?

I am not knowledeable re: iso files.

Thanks again!

Wow, fast response!

Here are my pc specs (less than a year old):

AMD Athelon 64 3200+ processor

1 GIG RAM

16X multi layer dvd burner

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card with 256 mg RAM

As far as creating the ISO file, I will try this. However, you say that I can check and see if the artifacts are there by viewing it in disc copier. Excuse my dumb question (newbie!), but when you say I can view it in disc copier, do you mean I can run the slide show and check the quality? Also, by artifacts, what do you mean?

I am not knowledeable re: iso files.

Thanks again!

I guess that I assumed that you have the full EMC V8. If not, the following may not work. When you have the project ready to be burned to a DVD blank and you select burn, there are three options. One of those is create iso (image) file. If you select that only, an image of what would be on a DVD is created but not burned to the blank. It has all the files and folders and structure intact. Once the iso file is encoded, you can open Disc Copier and it will give to the options to preview it. It is a smaller window so be aware that you may miss some things. The artifacts that I referred to are the pixelation that you are seeing around the transitions. If you think that the iso file is OK, copy it using Disc Copier or Creator Classic to the DVD blank. For now, get some good quality RW discs so you can reuse them if you are still seeing a problem.

Your computer should be OK but check for updates to Microsoft's DirectX 9c and for the drivers for your video card. You can get that from the video card manufacturer (better) or directly from nVidia.

Archived