compressing vhs

biledemon

Question

hi need some help or advice i am putting some old vhs movies onto dvd wich i have managed to do, but a few of them are bigger than 4.7gb. i have put 1 onto 2 dvd's but is there a way of compressing them to fit onto 1 dvd. i have tried using disc copier but when i click on add new movie i scroll down to my video folder where the films are but it doesn't show any of the films just an empty folder. they are saved in the folder as mpeg video any help would be much appreciated as i am pretty new to all this thanks. :)

2 answers to this question

A 4.7gb disc holds about 1 hour of Movie at Best quality. Putting more than that on is done so but at the price of video quality…

VHS capture is not at best quality to begin with so it will not suffer much more loss without looking really bad. But "quality" is subjective from user to user.

Use some RW media to experiment with. Try putting together about 2 hours of movie in MyDVD. – In V8 you cannot exceed 2 hours or it will get cut off.

Now burn that at Best quality to File (ISO). Ignore the length/size warning.

Use Disc Copier to burn the ISO file to disc and allow it to recompress the file.

Play the resulting disc and see what you think.

Try some other experiments using benchmark times, like 1 1/2 hours, 1:15 to find what will work to your satisfaction.

The reason for not changing the settings right in MyDVD is that the compression engine in DC is much better. DC will recompress the file just enough to fit the media, whereas MyDVD you must select a setting in large chunks.

A 4.7gb disc holds about 1 hour of Movie at Best quality. Putting more than that on is done so but at the price of video quality…

VHS capture is not at best quality to begin with so it will not suffer much more loss without looking really bad. But "quality" is subjective from user to user.

Use some RW media to experiment with. Try putting together about 2 hours of movie in MyDVD. – In V8 you cannot exceed 2 hours or it will get cut off.

Now burn that at Best quality to File (ISO). Ignore the length/size warning.

Use Disc Copier to burn the ISO file to disc and allow it to recompress the file.

Play the resulting disc and see what you think.

Try some other experiments using benchmark times, like 1 1/2 hours, 1:15 to find what will work to your satisfaction.

The reason for not changing the settings right in MyDVD is that the compression engine in DC is much better. DC will recompress the file just enough to fit the media, whereas MyDVD you must select a setting in large chunks.

thanks for the info will give that a try.

Archived