Old version cd creator + win xp upgrade

psychomom

I am running Win ME and am going to upgrade to Win XP. Have OLD version of Easy CD Creator 4 and DirectCD 3. Are there drivers I can download to make these run on Win XP? Thanks for any help.

Not only does ECDC 4 (and associated DirectCD) NOT work with WinXP, every time you boot WinXP will be complaining that it may cause the system to become unstable and so will not be loaded.

WinXP has built-in CD burning for both data and music. That may be all you need.

BUT: if you have any files on DirectCD discs that you want to KEEP, re-burn them using DataProject BEFORE the transfer.

I don't recommend DirectCD (or any Packet-Writing - Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) for anything except permantly LOSING data.

Lynn

Not only does ECDC 4 (and associated DirectCD) NOT work with WinXP, every time you boot WinXP will be complaining that it may cause the system to become unstable and so will not be loaded.

WinXP has built-in CD burning for both data and music. That may be all you need.

BUT: if you have any files on DirectCD discs that you want to KEEP, re-burn them using DataProject BEFORE the transfer.

I don't recommend DirectCD (or any Packet-Writing - Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) for anything except permantly LOSING data.

Lynn

Thanks for your prompt reply. I want to make sure I've got this straight:

winXP has cd burning software built into it? So does this mean I just keep my cd drive as is when I upgrade to xp?

I DO have lots of photo and other files on direct CD discs that I need. You say to use DataProject--is this a free download?

To avoid problems when I load xp, should I delete easy creator & direct cd first? (using add/remove programs in win ME I assume?) Then will xp's software run my cd drive?

I appreciate all your help.

If you don't have the ECDC shortcut on your desktop, click on the Start button (or use the windows key) > Roxio Easy CD Creator > Applications > Easy CD Creator, or Roxio Easy CD Creator > Project Selector. Then choose DataProject. Get ALL that off of DirectCD discs onto CD-R, l assuming you can still retrieve it.. (If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.)

I would DEFINATELY get ECDC 4 out of there before adding WinXP. WinXP should recognize the burner. (Right-click on whatever, and send to the burner drive, and follow the prompts; music is handled via WinPlayer.)

I kept my old computer (ok, I took it to the shop where I bought the new one, and then retrieved it in working condition), so I have two completely separate systems. I don't just mean Hard Drives, I mean systems, down to the mouse & keyboard. I find it handy. (At this point, the Win98 SE is the main computer; shortly, however, I may have a "new" Win2000 refurbished computer ...)

Lynn

Thanks for your prompt reply. I want to make sure I've got this straight:

winXP has cd burning software built into it? So does this mean I just keep my cd drive as is when I upgrade to xp?

I DO have lots of photo and other files on direct CD discs that I need. You say to use DataProject--is this a free download?

To avoid problems when I load xp, should I delete easy creator & direct cd first? (using add/remove programs in win ME I assume?) Then will xp's software run my cd drive?

I appreciate all your help.

Lynn,

Thanks so much for your great advice! I think I'm ready to take the plunge!

If you are using an 'update' disc from MS, I would strongly advise against running that over the top of ME - that gives a very flaky installation.

The best way is to boot with the XP CD in the drive, reformat and install over a clean drive. If it's an 'upgrade' disc all that will happen is that at some point in the install, it will ask for the original 9x CD to be inserted (to prove that you actyally HAVE one) and then it spits it out, you re-insert the XP disc and it carries on.

It does NOT need 9x to actually be on the hard drive

Run the updates but do NOT let it install Internet Explorer 7 - that is classed as 'critical' but it is vausing problems with some programs

Once you have it in, check on ebay or similar for ECD6 or 7 - they are going relatively cheaply there

If you are using an 'update' disc from MS, I would strongly advise against running that over the top of ME - that gives a very flaky installation.

The best way is to boot with the XP CD in the drive, reformat and install over a clean drive. If it's an 'upgrade' disc all that will happen is that at some point in the install, it will ask for the original 9x CD to be inserted (to prove that you actyally HAVE one) and then it spits it out, you re-insert the XP disc and it carries on.

It does NOT need 9x to actually be on the hard drive

Run the updates but do NOT let it install Internet Explorer 7 - that is classed as 'critical' but it is vausing problems with some programs

Once you have it in, check on ebay or similar for ECD6 or 7 - they are going relatively cheaply there

Daithi,

Would it work to get a new Hard Drive, set it as Master (and put the connections in it that are now on the present drive), set the old one to Slave (and put the secondary connecations on it), and install on the new Hard Drive?

(OK, so I've been playing with the innards of computers for a bit now. OP may not have anyone around with that kind of experience.)

Lynn

You'd probably still need the original 9x CD Lynn to do that - also the registry on the old drive will still assume it's drive C so if you try to dual boot, it could get a severe case of indigestion.

Best way to do that would be to switch the boot drive in BIOS - to boot from Primary Slave for 9x and Primary Master for XP

Only other way would be a partitioned h/d with both OSs on different partitions and a boot manager to switrch bewteen them - That should work but it will still mean a fresh install of both OSs

You'd probably still need the original 9x CD Lynn to do that - also the registry on the old drive will still assume it's drive C so if you try to dual boot, it could get a severe case of indigestion.

Best way to do that would be to switch the boot drive in BIOS - to boot from Primary Slave for 9x and Primary Master for XP

Only other way would be a partitioned h/d with both OSs on different partitions and a boot manager to switch bewteen them - That should work but it will still mean a fresh install of both OSs

mmm ... I don't suppose OP is following this, but - so you set the BIOS on each drive separately, that the 9.x is set to first seek the slave, while the XP is set to seek first the floppy or CD-ROM, then the Master ...?

Lynn

mmm ... I don't suppose OP is following this, but - so you set the BIOS on each drive separately, that the 9.x is set to first seek the slave, while the XP is set to seek first the floppy or CD-ROM, then the Master ...?

Lynn

What I usually do is et the BIOS to boot hard drive first, then CD then floppy. However - in most modern BIOS you can select which hard drive is first boot and bypass the rest

What I usually do is et the BIOS to boot hard drive first, then CD then floppy. However - in most modern BIOS you can select which hard drive is first boot and bypass the rest

At interconnection.org we set it for CD-ROM first, then floppy, then HD. Then we reboot with a CD in there to reformat the HD, to get it ready for a new Operating System install.

Lynn

At interconnection.org we set it for CD-ROM first, then floppy, then HD. Then we reboot with a CD in there to reformat the HD, to get it ready for a new Operating System install.

Lynn

My box I just hit F12 to switch between floppy/CD/hard drive/USB/Zip/LS120/whathaveyou

The BIOS is set to boot from hard drive first (if I don't hit that key) - just preference really (shaves a few seconds off the boot time cos it ain't looking all round the place for a boot record :)

Archived