• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

data dvd format/file type issue/question?

m0rgan

Question

hello i have (well wasted my money on the software)nero at the moment and i was thinking about buying your easy media creator but before i go and spend i would like to ask a question about your data dvd formats and the process in wich it is burned. i would like to make sure that the same thing doesnt happen again. i made backups of all my files and made backups of my games ect. some movie clips zips blah blah. and they were all burned in raw format for some reason well ive only found one dvd drive that will read the disks and that is the pioneer drive i have(the wedding pictures and movies i have will only work on my drive) /wasted time and money anyways i want to make sure that the same thing isnt goin to happen with your software will it make data dvd's in i guess cdfs or whatever the unversal format is or will it burn everything into this raw format? thanks i know its alot to read but i hope you can understand where im coming from :)

6 answers to this question

hello i have (well wasted my money on the software)nero at the moment and i was thinking about buying your easy media creator but before i go and spend i would like to ask a question about your data dvd formats and the process in wich it is burned. i would like to make sure that the same thing doesnt happen again. i made backups of all my files and made backups of my games ect. some movie clips zips blah blah. and they were all burned in raw format for some reason well ive only found one dvd drive that will read the disks and that is the pioneer drive i have(the wedding pictures and movies i have will only work on my drive) /wasted time and money anyways i want to make sure that the same thing isnt goin to happen with your software will it make data dvd's in i guess cdfs or whatever the unversal format is or will it burn everything into this raw format? thanks i know its alot to read but i hope you can understand where im coming from :)

morgan: There is no such thing as burning in RAW format…

RAW is blank media with nothing on it! Once burned it will be Joliet, ISO9660 or UDF as these are the only optical media File Systems in use.

CDFS is a CD File System consisting of either Joliet or ISO9660.

There are many issues that can crop up regarding PCs and reading consumer burned media. Not as bad as it used to be, but still there. For example I have 3 PCs, but only one can read DVD RW media or DL media. All 3 can read DVD R media.

For Data, the most compatible and reliable method of burning is to use Authoring (Classic in the Roxio Suite) with R media and set to Read Only during burn.

Second most is Authoring with R media set to Finalize Session.

Least reliable is using RW media and packet writing (Drag to Disc or Nero's InCD).

There are many issues that can crop up regarding PCs and reading consumer burned media. Not as bad as it used to be, but still there. For example I have 3 PCs, but only one can read DVD RW media or DL media. All 3 can read DVD R media.

Reading DVD + - RW or + - DL media is not a PC problem. It's a drive problem and or software format problem that burned to that media. I have a w98 machine that can read home burned DVD+R DL media. It does matter what drive I have installed in that PC to read the media.

cdanteek

Reading DVD + - RW or + - DL media is not a PC problem. It's a drive problem and or software format problem that burned to that media. I have a w98 machine that can read home burned DVD+R DL media. It does matter what drive I have installed in that PC to read the media.

cdanteek

99.9% correct. However XP had issues with reading DVD Sessions that was not fixed until SP2 (at least I think it was SP2, could have been SP1). …and technically that is an OS issue.

But these minor errors of syntax do not distract from what I was trying to convey to morgan.

You are talking to a Roxio sponsored forum, so you are not talking to owners of the company. We are users, just like you will be.

I will say that it sounds like you used InCD to burn your files, which is about the worst program you could use to do that. I would say that Nero probably was not the problem, and although I prefer Roxio to Nero (I have both), you will need to spend a little time with the manual/turtorials before you start using the software, or you will more than likely have the same problems that you did with Nero.

Archived