coengles

Cineplayer will not start

Question

I recently downloaded and installed CinePlayer 3.2. After installation, I double clicked the icon labeled "Start CinePlayer". The splash screen appears for a few moments and then disappears. Nothing else happens. I tried several times with Task Manager open and DMX.exe appears for a few seconds and then just disappears. There are no errors. I am running WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, .NET Framework 2.0.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to get this thing to work? Any and all help is appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Do you have other Sonic software installed? What version of Internet Explorer? Windows Media Player?

Reinstalling seems like the best course of action to start things off but if you continue to have problems make sure you don't have any software running in the background (system tray) that could be conflicting.

Thanks for the quick response. I had an older version of CinePlayer installed but uninstalled it. I reinstalled the newer version and received the same results. I installed on a friend's computer and CinePlayer ran just fine! The one thing I noticed was the Installer asked to Restart the computer at the end of installation. That did not happen on my computer. I have IE 7 and WMP 11. My friend also has IE 7 and WMP 11. I know CinePlayer must be activated so I turned the firewall off thinking it may have blocked access to the Internet. Received same results (splash screen then nothing). I ran spyware programs and registry cleaners but nothing seems to help. I even looked at the HOSTS file but everything there looked fine. I only paid $20 but it just seems like a waste of money. I'm in no way giving up but I'm a little frustrated.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by coengles

As I expected, you're conflicting with a previous version. You'll have to wipe your system clean of Sonic and then reinstall.

Clean install:

First uninstall all Sonic products through Add/Remove programs and then delete the following folder if they exist:

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\-username-\Application Data\Sonic

If you can’t find an application data folder, while in the Windows Explorer window browsing for these folders, select Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Hit OK and look again.

Now go to Start, regedit, and delete the following folders by right clicking on them and selecting delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sonic

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic

To ensure that you have removed as many traces of the program as possible or Add/remove Programs fails during uninstalling read about and download the following Microsoft cleanup utility and then run it removing all Sonic programs from the list.

Cleanup Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Now restart and reinstall your products.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks again. I tried everything you said and the player will just not start. There are no errors during install. Again, DMX.exe loads for a moment (splash screen) and then vanishes (no error). Not sure if there's much I can do now. I appreciate your help though.

Edited by coengles

You're not alone my friend. I'm an A+ Certified Computer tech, and Cineplayer is the only software program since 1999 that I can't crack. I've performed all the suggested fixes as you have without luck, but there is one trick I found that will make Cineplayer run. It's more of a "work-around" than a fix. I found that if I alter my User status to a "Limited User", Cineplayer runs fine. BUT, if you have Administrater Rights, you will only see the splash screen a few seconds, where upon it vanishes. THEREFORE: Go into Control Panel, User Accounts, and per the directions there change yourself to a "Limited User". {In WinXP-Pro a Limited User can't install/uninstall software or make changes to the system. So make sure to keep at least ONE person as an administrator, and the easiest way to do that is simply designate the "Guest" as an Administrator. It's a lousy way to go about making Cineplayer accessible.} On my new Dell fancy dual processor PC, I'm the Administrator so I can control everything, whereas I gave my wife "Limited User" rights, (so she doesn't go in & screw something up). However she gets to use Cineplayer trouble free! BTW, even Dell claims to not know the fix, nor do they express much interest in wanting to help anyway. (Cineplayer came with the PC, is the most recent ver, and receives all updates on a regular basis.) If I turn to Sonic for help, they insist I go to Dell; so it's a lose-lose situation. Lessoned learned? > Don't buy SONIC or DELL products!