• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Folder Depth Validation Warning

RIVKID

Question

Not sure what this error really means, it seems to be saying that the file name is too long, but I'm backing up an NTFS partition TO an NTFS partition, so why would there be a difference in the file name capability? I get this error when the backup job is first starting and validates the backup process before any fiiles are actualy backed up.

I cant find any reference to this error in the documentation, is there any resolution to this type of error?

11 answers to this question

Did you set it to No Bridge?

Roxio Backup does not give all options like Classic does… Try this:

Under View/Edit Project – How tab, clear the checkmark by "Validate source files before backing up".

I don't use the program much but I seem to recall that was needed to keep the pathname under control.

Under View/Edit Project – How tab, clear the checkmark by "Validate source files before backing up".

I don't use the program much but I seem to recall that was needed to keep the pathname under control.

Dear James,

Clearing the "Validate source files before backing up" checkbox did the trick!

Thanks for your help.

Bill...

Dear James,

Clearing the "Validate source files before backing up" checkbox did the trick!

Thanks for your help.

Bill...

LUCKEY GUESS on my part…

I believe that Validate only checks to make sure the files are still there. If you had TEST.DOC in the backup set and it no longer existed, you would receive a warning.

On the other hand if TEST.DOC was corrupted, the program would have no way to know that and would be happy to copy the corrupt file into your backup…

Folks often expect far too much from a backup program. If I backup files from a CAD program, do I really think Roxio is going to know anything about the integrity of those files???

Thanks, James. I have not used the backup program. I just remember you posting the No Bridge info, way way way back when. :)

Version: Easy Media Creator 8.05 (Build 805B30B ENU)

I'm using Roxio Backup to backup 9.68GB of data onto three DVD-R discs.

After creating a backup project I selected it and clicked the Burn button. It told me I had one or more files that were larger than 4GB so it was switching to using the UDF file system. I didn't get the exact text of the error message, but that was the gist of it. On subsequent runnings of the same backup project this message did not appear.

Next, a message box appeared that said:

Please wait...

Creating layout for backup project "Test"...

Next, the "Roxio Backup - Burn Setup" dialog appeared. I left everything at its default setting and clicked the OK button.

Next, the "Roxio Backup - Progress Information" dialog appeared.

A few seconds later a yellow balloon dialog appeared which said:

One or more paths in this project exceed the maximum length allowed by the current file system. You may continue to burn this disc, but the files in these paths may not be readable. ("\$BAK004$\D_000\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate")

The yellow balloon dialog had three buttons at the bottom: "OK", "OK to ALL" and "Cancel".

That's not a very long path, but apparently too long for UDF.

It's Catch 22. I can't backup to a non-UDF disc because I have a file that's too big and I can't backup to a UDF disc because I have a path that's too long.

Any suggestions, Roxio?

Thanks, James. I have not used the backup program. I just remember you posting the No Bridge info, way way way back when. :)

Yes that was back when Backup was part of Classic – V6/7.

Now it is a standalone program but I figured it might have inherited Classic's "Joliet reference" when Validate is selected.

Version: Easy Media Creator 8.05 (Build 805B30B ENU)

I'm using Roxio Backup to backup 9.68GB of data onto three DVD-R discs.

After creating a backup project I selected it and clicked the Burn button. It told me I had one or more files that were larger than 4GB so it was switching to using the UDF file system. I didn't get the exact text of the error message, but that was the gist of it. On subsequent runnings of the same backup project this message did not appear.

Next, a message box appeared that said:

Please wait...

Creating layout for backup project "Test"...

Next, the "Roxio Backup - Burn Setup" dialog appeared. I left everything at its default setting and clicked the OK button.

Next, the "Roxio Backup - Progress Information" dialog appeared.

A few seconds later a yellow balloon dialog appeared which said:

One or more paths in this project exceed the maximum length allowed by the current file system. You may continue to burn this disc, but the files in these paths may not be readable. ("\$BAK004$\D_000\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate")

The yellow balloon dialog had three buttons at the bottom: "OK", "OK to ALL" and "Cancel".

That's not a very long path, but apparently too long for UDF.

It's Catch 22. I can't backup to a non-UDF disc because I have a file that's too big and I can't backup to a UDF disc because I have a path that's too long.

Any suggestions, Roxio?

Did you set it to No Bridge?

I too, have the exactly same problem.

Using RoxioBackup from SUite 8

WIth a blank media (deep) formated with Roxio itself

Thanks for any kind help

I am still waiting for someone to describe in detail what the problem is??? At least you told us what program you used.

No idea what "(deep) formatted" means? Media cannot be both 'blank' and 'formatted' at the same time. Has to be one or the other and no authoring program, Classic or RoxioBackup, can use formatted media.

Not sure what this error really means, it seems to be saying that the file name is too long, but I'm backing up an NTFS partition TO an NTFS partition, so why would there be a difference in the file name capability? I get this error when the backup job is first starting and validates the backup process before any fiiles are actualy backed up.

I cant find any reference to this error in the documentation, is there any resolution to this type of error?

Which program in the Suite are you using?

What settings?

What is the exact text of the error message?

This is common with Optical media which uses a completely different file system that only looks like FAT/NTFS.

Archived