• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc8 Competing Products?

jackerbes

Question

I've progressed through versions 5, 7, and now 8.

I had 8 installed one day and am now ready to bail out on Roxio. What are some competing products that are worth trying?

My needs are pretty simple, I make occasional data CD's and DVD's and rarely use anything but the Classic program and the Label Creator. I don't want any TSR's or anything volunteering help or going out on the internet without my deciding it.

EMC 8 took over my system, everthing slowed down, I could not find a way to even identify and turn off the TSR's that were killing my system.

Finding roxiowatch.exe in the task manager using about 99 percent of my assets to do nothing apparent was very irritating. I was told that I am not allowed to shut that process down and that was the crowning blow for me.

I'm out of here forever on Roxi products!

Jack

6 answers to this question

Thanks to all for the helpful and symphathetic replies. I'll probably reinstall EMC 7 for now. But I'm also keeping a file of notes that will help if I decide to give 8 another try.

You folks that are trying to get some work done really have my symphathies. I'm just a winterbound retiree just enjoying my golden Years.

Jack

Hi Jack,

i wish you luck in what ever version you decide, and even at a long shot, if you are not happy and decide to run with 7 or 7.5 , you can hold 8 untill there is a new service pack or similer that may fix the issues you have, it still will not be a full loss?

have fun and keep trying

I don't know who told you you couldn't shut down Roxiwatch but that's not true.Just go to the taskbar,right click on it and choose stop watching folders.You can also accomlish this by going to Media manager,tools and hitting stop to whatever you don't want to run.Media Manager does take a while to run the watching app the first time it runs due to it scanning your drive to find files.

I'm sorry you feel this way.Various people have had various problems with this software.We're all here just trying to figure some things out.

Finding roxiowatch.exe in the task manager using about 99 percent of my assets to do nothing apparent was very irritating.

Well it does do something - it is catalogging your files. Once done, it shouldn't take up many resources. Terry is correct. Just right click on the icon in the systray and choose STOP WATCHING. That stops the process. If you feel that you don't need this feature, you can remove it entirely.

Control Panel - Add/Remov Apps

Select EMC8 and the click on CHANGE

Go to modify. Go down the list and remove MEDIA MANAGER.

This does not totally remove the media manager. Just those parts for watchign folders, etc.

You can also remove DIGITAL HOME. This is the UPnP support which is for things like wirless speakers or DVD players that might have UPnP. Just makes setting up those things easier.

I don't have either installed.

Guest mlpasley
I've progressed through versions 5, 7, and now 8.

I'm out of here forever on Roxi products!

Jack

I'd suggest that you email Roxio Customer Service and let them know of your complaint. Roxio Tech Support would be a good idea too.

There are lots of free trial versions of other software to try.

However, if you were happy with 7, you could always go back to using that version. I'm still using 7.5 because 8 seems to need more computer resources than my computer has.

My problem is I tried going back to 7 to do my latest major DVD project.

There are a number of things I could do there that 8 does not seem to have. However, 8 has a number of things 7 does not either.

Even with all the quirks I had to put up with and crashes I get with 8 I still think you can get a better DVD out of it. :)

Yeah, I know it's weird.

I can't get some items to work exactly like I wanted to (or at all it seems) so I weighed my options. 8 was still giving me better looking and running movie clips.

I just hope they get it all fixed by the time I do my next major project.

I'll just keep using 7+ to do my minor ones for now.

Thanks to all for the helpful and symphathetic replies. I'll probably reinstall EMC 7 for now. But I'm also keeping a file of notes that will help if I decide to give 8 another try.

You folks that are trying to get some work done really have my symphathies. I'm just a winterbound retiree just enjoying my golden Years.

Jack

Archived