China to stop making DVD players in 2008

cdanteek

While Blu-ray and HD DVD players have a long way to go to catch up on DVD player sales, in China around 20 leading DVD player manufacturers announced plans to stop producing DVD players from 2008. Instead, they will be replacing their models with Enhanced Versatile Disc (EVD) players, although some will be backwards compatible with DVD. The companies plan to announce this ending of DVD player production on Wednesday, in which they will display over 50 EVD player models, averaging around 700 Yuan (US$89) each.

While the EVD format uses existing red-laser technology, it will be cheaper to produce as it does not have the high annual foreign patent holder license fees that Blu-ray and HD DVD both carry. By dropping DVD players and replacing them with EVD players, this will also help make EVD compete with HD DVD and Blu-ray as the next generation DVD format in China, not to mention reduce their reliance on foreign technology.

Article

And people wonder why some of us save our completed movies as AVI footage.........

Anyone taking odds on how long we'll be able to find a DVD player to play the DVD movies that we are making today?

And people wonder why some of us save our completed movies as AVI footage.........

Anyone taking odds on how long we'll be able to find a DVD player to play the DVD movies that we are making today?

Well they're still making VCR's so maybe someone in Bohemia will decide to keep making dvd players. I get lots of emails for DVD recorder/VCR combo units. They may just be trying to drum up sales now for the newest technology at higher prices.

maybe someone in Bohemia will decide to keep making dvd players. I get lots of emails for DVD recorder/VCR combo units.

So long as they keep making good beer in Bohemia, I don't care :)

That's the REAL home of Pilsen and Budweiser (two towns in Bohemia)

Archived