MyDVD video DVD backgrounds

B R H

Question

How do I specify no Menu Background? I would simply like to set the background to be nothing but a solid color or a some simple gradients. Do I have to create my own custom graphic file to do this? Seems like this is the definition of "Easy" in EMC. There seems to be a lot of control of Text. It would be nice if some of the same tools could be used to create simple backgrounds more easily.

12 answers to this question

Even easier....

Click on EDIT background

Brings you to the Videowave editor.

Delete the existing background then Insert color panel.

Click BACK TO MENU

If you want a gradient, then you will have to create that in an image editor like PhotoSuite 9. 720X540 should do the trick.

I'm using MyDVD, not VideoWave, but it appears I have the same options. What's the real difference between these tools anyway?

Anyway, thanks for pointing these out. I hadn't messed around in the Storyline tab much yet & there are quite a few handy tools I wasn't aware of as a result.

How do I specify no Menu Background? I would simply like to set the background to be nothing but a solid color or a some simple gradients. Do I have to create my own custom graphic file to do this? Seems like this is the definition of "Easy" in EMC. There seems to be a lot of control of Text. It would be nice if some of the same tools could be used to create simple backgrounds more easily.

Right click on the screen, and browse to a solid color .jpg or .bmp. You may have to make one. I did, and it does work.

OK, but I see nothing anywhere that actually says Videowave, do you?

So why do both products exist as separate applications anyway? What does Videowave do for me that MyDVD doesn't? I haven't tried many of the applications that popped up with the Sonic & Roxio "merge". My guess is that they will gradually simmer down to the least common denominator it takes to get the job done in version 10, 11, 17, or 20! :)

After choosing the background, as outlined by grandpabruce above, you can save the menu style as a custom style.

To Create a Custom Style

• Choose File > Save as Menu Style.
  • The Save Custom Menu Style dialog box opens.

• Enter a Style name.
  • Click OK.

The new style will be available in the Select Menu Style dialog box by clicking the Change Menu Style.

Designating a style as the Default style:

In the Select Menu Style dialog box, right click the style you want and select Set as Default Menu Style.

So why do both products exist as separate applications anyway?
Technically, they aren't. There is only one, videowave9.exe that run boths applications. Launch MyDVD 9, hit Alt-Clt-Del to bring up the Task Manager. Click on Processes tab. MyDVD9.exe is not running, but you wll see videowave9.exe.

Videowave is the EDITOR - splitting clips, add transitions, overlays, text on video, PIP, etc

MyDVD is for DVD athoring - creating menu, marking chapters, etc.

Since you can now 'edit movie' within MyDVD which actually IS Videowave, you really don't need to run Videowave as a separate application. However, there are a few options not available like OUTPUT TO FILE within the MyDVD version. Don't know why, but just the way it is. Personally, there are many times I'm only editing so why would run MyDVD to just edit. I like having separate applications.

This is what I assumed & already did, but I didn't know what size image to use. I went with a 720 x 480 pixel JPG to be safe. I'm sure it will be scaled properly during encoding, but I wonder what the limitations are here (both large & small)?

Thanks. I haven't tried creating any custom Styles yet.

Archived