• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable to open DVR-MS files

Ricsa

Question

I'm unable to open a dvr-ms file in any of the relevant EMC 9 suite applications. For example videowave tries to transcode the file but is unsuccessful.

Now I'm based in Australia so the dvr-ms stream is DVB-T as opposed to the ATSC stream used in North America. Could this be the problem? The latest Ulead Video Studio has this problem and they are yet to come up with a suitable fix.

I've tried different files from different channels and none of them are protected. I am able to open & convert to mpeg using VideoReDo but I was hoping I wouldn't need this extra step.

Any insights greatly appreciated as I bought this software primarily to edit/convert dvr-ms files.

Thanks

Ricsa

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure about the ATSC stream but in Australia DVB-T is used to transmit both SD (576i [720x576]) and HD (576p, 720p, 1080i) content. I am recording all shows in SD. Both SD and HD are mpeg2 streams and not mpeg4. For instance using VideoReDo I can convert a 2GB DVR-MS show to mpeg format in around 2 mins as there is no need to re-encode.

I still think it has something to do with the different streams. VideoReDo is not the only editor that can open these shows. The latest version of Nero's (7.5...) Vision can also open the files. Unfortunately the video editors I wish to use (EMC9, Ulead) seem to be having issues.

I'll raise this with Roxio and see what turns up.

Thanks for your input Gary.

Cheers

Ricsa

I thought HiDef broadcasts were in MPEG4??

For example videowave tries to transcode the file but is unsuccessful.
The TV card should have installed the appropriate codec. Maybe we should figure out why the transcode doesn't work. I would have to do more research on hidef TV cards. Are the dvr-ms files in MPEG4 or MPEG2? With standard def TV, the dvr-ms files are nohting more than a proprietary MPEG2 with a metadata header that includes stuff like channel, time, station identifier, etc. The 'transcode' just takes this out and really does nothing to the video.

DVB-T and ATSC are high def TV streams. A larger percentage of people in the USA are still receiving standard def TV. Sounds like a codec issue.

Hi Gary thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting I look at alternative MPEG2 codecs?

Cheers

Ricsa

I've been using a trial of VideoReDo in the hope that EMC would meet all my needs in one package, so to speak. However it does look as if I'll need to shell out for VideoReDo as well, do the conversion, then import. It's an extra step but probably the best solution for now.

Cheers

Ric

Archived