• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Backing up to a CD-R

fred_hoeptner

Question

I have Easy Media Creator 7.5, Windows XP, and a Dell computer with Samsung CD drive about 1 1/2 years old. The drive works fine when saving files to a CD-R using the "save as/save in" function.

I have repeatedly tried to save a folder of data files to a blank CD-R using EMC 7.5's "create backup project" wizard. When I check the CD-R afterward, the computer indicates that it is blank, usually with no message. It shows a capacity of 522 MB and a free space of 522 MB. But several times I got an error message, something about a formatting problem, but I don't seem to be able to recover that message now.

Can someone please suggest what I am doing wrong? How does one format a CD-R? I cannot find any opportunity to do that using Roxio's wizard.

4 answers to this question

If it's just wanting to back up a certain folder on your computer, I would use Creator Classic that has already been suggested. You can finalize the disc so no other files can be added later OR you can un-check that box (box will be shown when you click on Burn) and make the disc an "Appendable" type disc and then later add more file to the same disc. You can burn all the files to CD-R media or depending on the amount of files you have you can burn to a 4.7GB disc also.

Frank...

The only time a CD should be formatted is if you are using Drag to Disc (packet writing) which I wouldn't recommend for any long term storage solution.

I don't have version 7.5 installed anymore but you may have to use the backup feature and look at Restore to be able to see the files.

Many thanks for your response, which seems to be correct. I would like to be able to access the backed up files directly from the CD without going through the rather cumbersome "restore" process. Does the current version of Easy Media Creator allow this? If so, I'll upgrade. (Of course, I guess that I can always go back to using floppy discs, which were far more convenient for this purpose.)

The only time a CD should be formatted is if you are using Drag to Disc (packet writing) which I wouldn't recommend for any long term storage solution.

I don't have version 7.5 installed anymore but you may have to use the backup feature and look at Restore to be able to see the files.

If the idea is to backup something so that it will be stable for at least a few years, I'd suggest using a CD-R and Creator Classic.

It the idea is a "great-big floppy-disc", then you DON'T want to use optical media, because the options (Packet-Writing and CD-RW) are too unstable/unreliable - this has to do with the way Packet-Writing and CD-RWs work, and is applicable to ALL Brands and ALL Versions. (There's a pinned topic about this on the EMC 7 / 7.5 Backup / Data / Copy Forum.)

The closest technology to a "great-big floppy-disc" is a Flash drive (aka Thumb / Pen / Keychain / Jump drive).

Lynn

Archived