• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Capture Screen

mshaner67

Question

Disclaimer: I searched the database prior to posting and didn't find what I was looking for. If there is info already out there I apologize - please point me in the right direction:

Quick Question: In the video import portion of EMC8, on the left side of the screen where the controls are, am I suppposed to be watching the video on my PC screen or on the DV player or both? So far I'm only able to view it on the DV player, but I get audio through my PC which leads me to believe I'm supposed to see video as well.

What's up with Smart Scan? I get nothing with this tool? It tells me it's scanning and upon completion I get nada, zero, zilch :)

System Description:

Dell Dimension XPS

1.2 years old

OS MS XP Pro

HD: 250 G

RAM: 2 G

Video: ? have to check when I get home, but should be fine

Fire Wire: 1394 DV cable 6/4 pin

DV Player: Panasonic PV-GS14 (1.2 years old) 8mm mini-DV tape

19 answers to this question

I still have to check on that. I just recently experienced my first hard drive crash (on a computer just over a year old :) ) So I still have some drivers that need updating as well as Windows. Time, or lack thereof, is slowing me way down.

Shane

The video card is:

128 MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X800 SE

I THINK this is what you're asking me???

I added the 8.0.5 update last night and still need to download a couple of WINXP updates. To date still no picture in Video Import on the left side of the screen.

Shane

Shane......I am not sure why Panasonic stated that? Here is what I quickly put together to show you what I was referring to. The top is what you showed in your playback menu as I do also. The next menu is the AV/DV out settings located at the bottom of my screenshot. I mistakingly told you in an early reply that it was in the DV out menu, It is located in the AV setting menu. I do not know what you are using as a DV recorder but I tried this once again on EMC8 and your question on smart capture and worked as required for me showing the downloading of the video on EMC capture screen and on my recorder. I once had this problem in ver. 7 and this is what it was being my DV settings? Sorry it didn't work for you. If everything was working correctly before, as Walt stated,....don't download that patch as it may bring you more problems that you need not have as some are experiencing now after d/l. You may even want to try the Panasonic forum and see if it can be worked out there if still having an issue. It sounds as though it is hardware related if the rest of your program is working correctly.

roxio.jpg

Excellent Help my man! I've never experienced such dedication :)

FYI, I tried MS Movie Maker and I was able to see the video on my PC. This leads me to believe that it is a software issue. Agree?

Thanks again,

Shane

Just an idea...Is your DV recorder set to DV out? You should be seeing the smartscan scan your tape in the preview screen as it is doing the scan. I also had this problem but it was just my DV out setting on my recorder.

Good question: I thought about that and explored the idea. The ONLY thing that I found in the camera's menu had to do with Playback - USB Function - DV Studio. I'm using a DV cable with the 6/4 pin configuration so I don't think that will help. I set it to DV studio anyhow, but nothing...

If you have suggestions on where I might look on the camcorder, I'm all over it.

Shane

In Playback mode on your DV not the record mode menu-you should have dv in/out settings. Just make sure they are set to DV Out. I have a panasonic DV but have also had a SONY which had same settings on the menu. Just remember that you will have different menu settings depending on which mode you are in ie: record mode or playback mode (Upload or view mode) hope it helps

Sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly. What video card do you have in the computer? Most display problems can be fixed by updating the drivers. V8 now dpends more on the video subsystem and that could explain why WMM works and EMC doesn't.

I still have to check on that. I just recently experienced my first hard drive crash (on a computer just over a year old :) ) So I still have some drivers that need updating as well as Windows. Time, or lack thereof, is slowing me way down.

Shane

Just an idea...Is your DV recorder set to DV out? You should be seeing the smartscan scan your tape in the preview screen as it is doing the scan. I also had this problem but it was just my DV out setting on my recorder.

In playback I have nothing except:

Search

12 bit Audio

Audio Out

USB Function

None of these alude to what you're speaking of. I did get in touch with Panasonic and they were unaware of any setting that might affect this.

I still need to download the 8.0.5 patch. Maybe that will help.

Shane

In playback I have nothing except:

Search

12 bit Audio

Audio Out

USB Function

None of these alude to what you're speaking of. I did get in touch with Panasonic and they were unaware of any setting that might affect this.

I still need to download the 8.0.5 patch. Maybe that will help.

Shane

Before downloading/installing the patch, try to capture using Windows Movie Maker. If you can't capture there then there is something wrong in your setup and/or connections.

Shane......I am not sure why Panasonic stated that? Here is what I quickly put together to show you what I was referring to. The top is what you showed in your playback menu as I do also. The next menu is the AV/DV out settings located at the bottom of my screenshot. I mistakingly told you in an early reply that it was in the DV out menu, It is located in the AV setting menu. I do not know what you are using as a DV recorder but I tried this once again on EMC8 and your question on smart capture and worked as required for me showing the downloading of the video on EMC capture screen and on my recorder. I once had this problem in ver. 7 and this is what it was being my DV settings? Sorry it didn't work for you. If everything was working correctly before, as Walt stated,....don't download that patch as it may bring you more problems that you need not have as some are experiencing now after d/l. You may even want to try the Panasonic forum and see if it can be worked out there if still having an issue. It sounds as though it is hardware related if the rest of your program is working correctly.

roxio.jpg

Woohoo!! Houston, we have a visual...uhem...video. The last windows update happened to do the trick. Unfortunately for anyone that attempted to get in touch with me for several hours, I was unattainable. Sheesh dial up in like watching the grass grow. No wait, grass growing is faster :)

Shane

Archived