Creator 7 Quit Working

dickparkans

Question

Creator 7 digital media suite worked fine. Windows Xp. All of a sudden you can open the the desktop icon and get the main menu but then it closes after about 30 seconds with no other information. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and updated the software. It doesn't make a difference. Help!!!

Dick

8 answers to this question

Ok,

I'm having the exact same problem. EMC is launching (see the main menu) but I can't choose any options... and close after 20 to 30 sec. Some times I get a 'program not responding'

I tried the solutions proposed. None worked. Any other suggestion? :)

Guest mlpasley
Ok,

I tried the solutions proposed. None worked. Any other suggestion? :)

Roxio Technical Support? You might have a problem specific to your computer and they don't usually charge for installation issues. Or you could email them or try the live chat.

Try this fix, first:

Rename your Media Manager folder. Media Manager is a hidden file. Go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options, click on View, scroll down to Hidden Files and folders, and click in the circle to the left of Show hidden files and folders. Click on Apply, then Ok.

a. Close all open applications, especially Roxio applications.

b. Open My Computer.

c. Double click on the C: drive and browse to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Roxio, where USERNAME is the name of the user you are currently logged in as.

d. Right click on the MediaManager folder and choose rename.

e. Name the folder MediaManager.old

f. Reboot and see if all works okay.

Dick,

I had a similar problem with my EMC 7.5 recently. The home window would come up and I could select a tool such as videowave or capture. The tools would appear for a little while and then disappear. I couldn't do anything with the software. I tried all of the great suggestions that people post here and didn't have any luck either. I then ran all my virus software (Trendmicro, microsoft antispy, adaware, bot something) and they found a few trojans and other malware. EMC 7.5 still didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled twice and nothing. For the heck of it I ran a malware scan check on the microsoft website and four hours later it found 4 trojans which tried to run but were stopped by trend micro. I thought my computer was clean but it wasn't. Once I got rid of the malware, EMC 7.5 worked as it always did. Hope this helps and here is the link for the microsoft malware software, it is free...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

John

Guest mlpasley
For the heck of it I ran a malware scan check on the microsoft website and four hours later it found 4 trojans which tried to run but were stopped by trend micro. I thought my computer was clean but it wasn't. Once I got rid of the malware, EMC 7.5 worked as it always did. Hope this helps and here is the link for the microsoft malware software, it is free...

John

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. Sometimes we forget to ask if people have checked for malware.

Dick,

I had a similar problem with my EMC 7.5 recently. The home window would come up and I could select a tool such as videowave or capture. The tools would appear for a little while and then disappear. I couldn't do anything with the software. I tried all of the great suggestions that people post here and didn't have any luck either. I then ran all my virus software (Trendmicro, microsoft antispy, adaware, bot something) and they found a few trojans and other malware. EMC 7.5 still didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled twice and nothing. For the heck of it I ran a malware scan check on the microsoft website and four hours later it found 4 trojans which tried to run but were stopped by trend micro. I thought my computer was clean but it wasn't. Once I got rid of the malware, EMC 7.5 worked as it always did. Hope this helps and here is the link for the microsoft malware software, it is free...

John

forgot to mention one thing, I had installed Quickbooks and EMC 7.5 stopped working near the same time. I have heard that Quickbooks can mess up .dll files even after an uninstall of quickbooks which I did. Also, the link for the windows scan I used is called windows live safety center

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

That is what I ran that fixed my computer. Maybe it replaced the .dll that quickbooks corrupted, not sure but it did get rid of a bunch of malware.

I did what you said, kind of. Hidden files are already shown. The only way I could find MediaManager folder was to search the C drive. I changed the name to *.old. I rebooted and still the same problem. Double click on startup icon, Creator starts to open, then goes away.

I have been gone for a few days and just got back. Try the following. They came from a Roxio tech note, way back when:

Home Menu Closes

Symptom:

Home menu launches but is non-functional Or automatically closes / Runtime Error Launching Media Manager

Solution:

This can be caused by a number of system specific issues such as incorrect registry permissions or improperly registered DAO components.

Please try each of the steps in order until your issue is resolved.

1. Register the DAO360.DLL File

a. Click on the 'Start' button and then click on 'run'

b. In the run dialogue box, type or copy/paste the following line exactly:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO360.DLL"

c. Once that line appears in the run box, click on 'OK'

d. You should see a message that the registration 'succeeded'. Click 'OK'

e. Now try launching the Easy Media Creator 7 Home or Media Manager

2. Add additional registry permissions for Roxio specific registry keys

a. Click on the 'Start' button and then click on 'run'

b. Type the following command in the 'run' dialogue box (choose the correct line for your operating system):

Windows XP: regedit

Windows 2000: regdt32

c. Once you've typed 'regedit' (XP) or 'regedt32' that line appears in the run box, click on 'OK'

d. In the registry, navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Roxio. (If you're using Windows 2000, find the window for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and

navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Roxio)

e. If you're using Windows XP, right click on the ‘Roxio’ key and choose permissions. If you're using Windows 2000, highlight the 'Roxio'

key and click on the 'security' pulldown menu and choose 'permissions'

f. Highlight the ‘Administrators’ group and put a checkmark under the 'Allow' heading for 'Full Control.

g. Highlight the ‘SYSTEM’ group and put a checkmark under the 'Allow' heading for 'Full Control.

h. Now try launching the Easy Media Creator 7 Home or Media Manager

3. Uninstall/Reinstall Microsoft Office '97 or Higher

In some cases where the Microsoft DAO component is damaged, you may be able to repair it by uninstalling Microsoft Office '97 or higher,

rebooting your computer, and then reinstalling Microsoft Office

Creator 7 digital media suite worked fine. Windows Xp. All of a sudden you can open the the desktop icon and get the main menu but then it closes after about 30 seconds with no other information. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and updated the software. It doesn't make a difference. Help!!!

Dick

Try this fix, first:

Rename your Media Manager folder. Media Manager is a hidden file. Go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options, click on View, scroll down to Hidden Files and folders, and click in the circle to the left of Show hidden files and folders. Click on Apply, then Ok.

a. Close all open applications, especially Roxio applications.

b. Open My Computer.

c. Double click on the C: drive and browse to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Roxio, where USERNAME is the name of the user you are currently logged in as.

d. Right click on the MediaManager folder and choose rename.

e. Name the folder MediaManager.old

f. Reboot and see if all works okay.

Archived