Unlocking .VRO Files

Peace Freak

Question

I was recently given a DVD-RW that was made on a Pioneer home type DVD recorder/player.

The format of the movie on the disk is .VRO... I have not been able to even copy it to the desktop using the Finder or any other video software.

However, Toast does see the file. But I get the following message:

This DVD cannot be copied here.

It can, however, be added to the video pane from the Media Browser.

So I go to the Media Browser and and can see it but the file, ‘Chapter 1’ is a padlock icon and I cannot drag it to the Video pane...

Are there any Toast Masters out there that might have a way around this conundrum? How can I unlock this file on the DVD?

Thanks!

Damien

3 answers to this question

I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder and frequently use Toast to extract the video from VR-mode discs using the Toast Media Browser. I have seen the padlock at rare times. In fact, yesterday I saw a padlock on all the titles. When I ejected and reinserted the disc all was fine. I don't know what to suggest other than quitting and reopening Toast and ejecting and reinserting the disc. Do you have the same thing happen with any VR-mode disc or just with this one?

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ejected the disk a number of times, and even restarted, but I always get that padlock! Hmmm...

This disk is the only one I have... It was given to me by another Mac user, who was given the disk which has a recording of a TV program on it. My friend could not view it on her Mac, so I was asked to see if there was a way to view it, or even convert it to a more Mac friendly format...

I hope someone can help out on this one!

I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder and frequently use Toast to extract the video from VR-mode discs using the Toast Media Browser. I have seen the padlock at rare times. In fact, yesterday I saw a padlock on all the titles. When I ejected and reinserted the disc all was fine. I don't know what to suggest other than quitting and reopening Toast and ejecting and reinserting the disc. Do you have the same thing happen with any VR-mode disc or just with this one?

Toast is one of the few Mac applications that can read the VR-mode DVDs. PixeVRF Browser from Pixela and some applications from Software Architects also read these but the least you'll spend is $49.95 for a download to find out if it works with that specific disc.

The owner of that Pioneer recorder should know that discs must be burned in video mode and finalized before the disc can be played by other machines. VR-mode on plays in standalone recorders and may not even work with different brands of recorders.

Archived