Multi-disc project starts with DVD+R, then wants DVD+R DL

worldstomp

Question

I have burned several multi-disc projects successfully, but realized it was spanning files, as the default option. For my application, I can't have spanned files because I need to read directly off the DVD, without restoring first to the hard drive.

So, I turned off the option to span files in multi-disc projects. No problem.

Now, when I start burning a project, I put in a DVD+R, and it reports that I will need x number of discs. Then, after the 1st DVD+R completes, it prompts me to put in the next disc, but says to insert a DVD+R Dual Layer. I insert the DVD+R, and it spits it back out and will not continue, saying that the only possible disc types are Dual Layer.

This only seems to happen with "do not split files in multi-disc project" checked.

19 answers to this question

I am having the same problem here.. Did anyone ever find a solution? I have spanning/splitting disabled, and the first disc invariably works perfectly. Second disc, won't accept anything less than a Dual layer disc.. It seems that the software is trying to burn to a disc that is slightly larger than an actual dvd+r..

This really has nothing to do with me trying to use a 'secret' or 'hacked' feature.. It has 100% to do with an advertised feature not working. It seems so simple too.. It figures out how many of the files will fit on the disc.. burns them.. goes to the next disc, repeats the process with the remaining files.. rinse.. repeat.. very simple. All I want to do is burn a folder with about 25Gb of files in it, all of which are less than 1.5gb each. I really hate picking the files out manually, one disc at a time.. very tedious.

I do note, that if I insert a 4.7gb dvd+r, it tells me that i's too small, and that I need a 4.8Gb disc.

If no one has a solution to make this software work right.. does anyone know any software that does this properly?

I can't use anything that will burn to disc in a proprietary or split format, as it has to go in a non-windows media player.

Thank you for your help! :)

You are sure that no single file exceeds 4.3gb in your project?

I rebooted, and no file exceeds 4gb (nothing more than 1gb for that matter). Here is a screenshot of what I'm getting:

EMC_1.JPG

Notice that it tells me that I'll need 7 4.4GB DVD+R's.

I press OK, and it burns the first disc. Then, when it's ready for the next disc, I get this:

EMC_2.JPG

and it won't take any more DVD+R's

This is not the way optical media was ever intended to work and I would suggest to you that some risk exists by using it. I for one will not!

I will continue to manually adjust my project so that they fit onto one disc. Overall project may require many discs, but no multi disc project are allowed in this house!

I don't understand. If I'm not spanning files across discs, who cares if it's a multi-disc set. I can still retrieve any file I want off any disc without needing to run any retrieve utiltiy. If one disc in the set goes bad, I only lose the info off that one disc.

I'm only using multi-disc sets as a time saver. If I'm writing enough files to fill 12 discs , I can start the job, and then it's a hands-off process to get the whole thing done. Whenever I notice my drive-tray open, swap the disc -- I don't even have to look at Roxio program.

Are you saying that you'd manually select just enough files to fit on one DVD+R, then repeat this process 12 times? That sounds like way too much manual work, versus glancing down and swapping a disc every 10 minutes.

Yes, I make projects that only fit on one DVD. I don't make any projects that are 12 DVD's long or even 6.

I don't see anything wrong with your backup system other than it doesn't work… Have you tried Repair? Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs EMC 9.

Thanks for the advise. I also keep most of my backups on extra hard drives, but I generate very large audio/video files, and the cost/GB is prohibitive to using hard drives for these files. This system works for me if I can work out this bug.

I'm going to try a fresh install on another machine & see if it does the same thing. Anyone else seen this?

This only seems to happen with "do not split files in multi-disc project" checked.

That's your answer actually. The file set is larger than the DVD can accept and as you told it NOT to split the files, it's asking for a bigger capacity disc.

Try splitting the set prior to burning and then send both sets to separate DVDs

So has anyone fixed this problem yet? Very annoying to pay top dollar for software that claims to do so much only to find that it is falsely advertised and even the stuff it can do (on occaison) it does not do very well. Reinstalling the software does not solve anything, the problem persists. I think we're a little overdue for an update. Hey Roxio, people are buying your software now but they wont in the future if you insist on releasing it in such an unsellable condition. Rant complete.

No fixes in this thread.

We never did get this resolved… If you read the thread, you can see that I got the error once, but a reboot cleared it up and I was not able to reproduce it after that!

If you read through the thread, you will also not that as fellow users, we strongly recommend against using disc spanning!!!

James:

Thanks for responding. I have rebooted several times and this has not helped resolve the problem. I have had this problem for about 2 months now.

I agree that splitting individual files amongst discs is a bad idea since only Roxio Retrieve is the one program that can recover these files. However, it is for this reason that I am selecting the "Do not split files in multi-disc projects". I need the ability to go into any disc and recover any of the files that I have burned through Explorer without depending on Roxio Retrieve. Also, note that I burn about 25 GB of data per project (about 1 project per week) and creating each disc individually would be very time consuming.

You recommended using hard drives for large backups. Note that I do keep 2 copies of my projects on hard drives, but I also burn it on to DVD as a third source of backup.

Does anyone know how to create a custom Disc Size project in Creator Classic (instead of the standard pre-set DVD 4.7, DVD 8.5, etc)? If there is a way to do this, then I can create a new custom disc size project of smaller size which should prevent this issue altogether.

Hey I'm still trying to get this to work properly and I just got passed from web support to phone support, who knows maybe they actually know something. Anyone else have any luck?

No luck here. If you hear back from phone support, please let us know what their resolution is.

Thanks.

That's your answer actually. The file set is larger than the DVD can accept and as you told it NOT to split the files, it's asking for a bigger capacity disc.

I don't think this is the case. The option to not split files should only prevent individual files from being split across multiple discs. It should still span the whole set across multiple discs. For example, say I have:

(8) 1GB files in my project. If I un-check "Do not split files" I get the following:

Files 1,2,3,4 on Disc 1

File 5 split between Disc 1 & 2

Files 6,7,8 on Disc 2

If I check "do not split files" I should get the following:

Files 1,2,3,4 on Disc 1

Files 5,6,7,8 on Disc 2

Also, the strange part is that when I begin the project (as in the second case) it will tell me that 2 discs will be needed. I start burning onto a 4.7GB DVD+R, but then only when it prompts me for the second disc does it insist on having a DVD+R DL.

Thanks for the advise. I also keep most of my backups on extra hard drives, but I generate very large audio/video files, and the cost/GB is prohibitive to using hard drives for these files. This system works for me if I can work out this bug.

I'm going to try a fresh install on another machine & see if it does the same thing. Anyone else seen this?

Quick question, if you manually write the files as you want EMC 9 to do automatically (files 1,2,3,4 on the first disc and files 5,6,7,8 on the second) does that work properly? Just a question to make sure there's nothing odd going on with the files.

Quick question, if you manually write the files as you want EMC 9 to do automatically (files 1,2,3,4 on the first disc and files 5,6,7,8 on the second) does that work properly? Just a question to make sure there's nothing odd going on with the files.

Yes. I've written the first batch manually. And I've tried this with at least 3 completely different sets of files.

Firstly, got the same problem. Assume alot of other people have got the same problems as well...

Get annoyed when you pay for software that is spose to do something, turns out that it doesn't, and obviously very little testing has been done to ensure that a product is ready for sale.

But something so obvious...

Going to have to look into this a little more! I was able to duplicate this with a 3 disc project.

First message indicated DL was an option. When I gave it a 4.7gb disc, it produced a second message and DL was not an option!

You are sure that no single file exceeds 4.3gb in your project?

You should understand that by checking the 'Do not Split Files' you are still ending up with a Multi disc Set.

This is not the way optical media was ever intended to work and I would suggest to you that some risk exists by using it. I for one will not!

I will continue to manually adjust my project so that they fit onto one disc. Overall project may require many discs, but no multi disc project are allowed in this house!

post-39-1165184255.jpg

I am also having this problem. I had this problem originally with EMC8 and I bought EMC9 thinking that it would resolve the issue - but it did not. EMC9 is not correctly sizing each disc when "Do not split files in multi-disc projects" is selected. In one of my projects, EMC9 requests a DVD that has a capacity of 2,301,392 blocks. However, my DVD's max capacity is only 2,297,888, and so EMC9 is unable to continue.

I have started a support case with Roxio regarding this issue and so I hope I will hear back from them. However, I did not hear back from them when I contacted them several times when I had this problem with EMC8.

My reason for wanting to use this feature is similar to "worldstomp" - I do not want to rely on Roxio Retrieve to extract files from my DVDs - I want to be able to extract any file from my DVD at any time.

Any other suggestions to get around this problem?

Thanks.

We never did get this resolved… If you read the thread, you can see that I got the error once, but a reboot cleared it up and I was not able to reproduce it after that!

If you read through the thread, you will also not that as fellow users, we strongly recommend against using disc spanning!!!

Yes, I make projects that only fit on one DVD. I don't make any projects that are 12 DVD's long or even 6.

My personal feeling is that as file sizes have increased through the years, optical media became impractical for backup. It involves too much prep and burning time. I keep smaller projects on CD or DVD but the majority get sent to an external HD which is removed. I also have internal HDs that I put in my PCs from time to time and remove after copying files.

Then I keep duplicate copies of important files on my various PCs (4) all of which are networked.

I don't see anything wrong with your backup system other than it doesn't work… Have you tried Repair? Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs EMC 9.

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to offer…

So has anyone fixed this problem yet? Very annoying to pay top dollar for software that claims to do so much only to find that it is falsely advertised and even the stuff it can do (on occaison) it does not do very well. Reinstalling the software does not solve anything, the problem persists. I think we're a little overdue for an update. Hey Roxio, people are buying your software now but they wont in the future if you insist on releasing it in such an unsellable condition. Rant complete.

I started 2 web support cases with Roxio (12/2/2006 and 12/26/2006), but I have still not heard back from them.

Hey I'm still trying to get this to work properly and I just got passed from web support to phone support, who knows maybe they actually know something. Anyone else have any luck?

I started 2 web support cases with Roxio (12/2/2006 and 12/26/2006), but I have still not heard back from them.

Archived