• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This Forum needs a Pinned Post for Newb's

smonteijr

Question

To whomever is the webmaster,

Please begin a pinned post entitled New Posters Start Here. I believe this will help reduce questions and provide information for quicker responses. For example, someone will post a question, and the first response will be "What are your specs?"

- Some possibilities: Number each subject within the post

1. How do I register my product 2. yadda yadda 3. yadda yadda

A 1. Please see the pinned post on the top of this forum 2. yadda yadda

- Request the newb's create a signature block with basic hardware information and show them how to do it.

For you old dogs, provide some input, because you know what is common in this forum? For you newb's, what information could you find helpful?

Has this ever been brought up before?

6 answers to this question

In case you don't know how to get the system specs, since I had to boot the Beast tonight anyway - start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

Click on the "plus" beside whatever it is you want details on, and it will give you the id string for the device (Video card, CD drives, etc) that you want. This is NOT the same as what it says on the box. The burner in my REAL computer (Win98 SE, AMD K6-2 400MHz) says HP but the id string says it is a Phillips. (Unfortunately, there are some things I can't do with my REAL computer, and have to turn on the Beast - WinXP Celeron 2.4MHz.)

The info doesn't have to be in your signature, putting it in the post is fine.

Altho the biggest reason to ask for the info is to see if you have enough resources to run Easy Media Creator. (I don't have enough memory, for one thing - but I don't try to run EMC 9, either.)

Lynn

Frankly I can't imagine why the system specs are relative. The OS version perhaps but virtually all users have equipment more than capable of the basic levels of rendering and such that EMC provides.

Because they come here everyday with less!

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP Home/Pro/MCE (Service Pack 2), Windows XP Pro x64 Edition, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later)*

For burning music and data discs: 500 MHz Intel® Pentium III or equivalent; 128 MB RAM

For DVD, slideshow or video authoring: 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent; 256 MB RAM

For real-time MPEG-2 capture and burning:1.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent; 256 MB RAM

For viewing DivX HD or H.264 video files in full screen mode: 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent; 512 MB RAM

7200 RPM hard disk drive recommended for video projects

1 GB of free hard disk space for typical installation of all components

1 GB of free hard disk space for every 5 minutes of video for video capture

Up to 9 GB of free hard disk space for copying DVD-Video** discs

1024x768, 16-bit color graphics card; 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended

DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card and graphics card

QuickTime 7 or greater for burning of M4A files

Windows Media Player 9 or higher for Windows 2000 systems; Windows Media Player 10 or higher for Windows XP and Vista systems

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher

CD-ROM drive to install the software

Internet connection required for registration, activation, product updates, and some features including photo sharing and Gracenote® MusicID™ support (to retrieve artist, album and track information). Any Internet charges are the user's responsibility.

Import, capture, editing, copying, burning, export, or viewing MPEG-2 files, DVD-Video titles or HD-V video, and burning of DVD, mini DVD or SVCD discs requires a one-time product activation via the Internet. Product activation is fast, free and anonymous.

Optional:

For burning: multimedia compliant CD, DVD, or BD recordable drive

For audio capture or playback: 16-bit Windows compatible sound card and speakers

For video capture: OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 FireWire card (for use with DV camera) or analog video capture device

For mobile phone support: multimedia capable mobile phone with USB cable or Bluetooth connectivity. For information about supported phones visit www.roxio.com/support

For ring tone support (US only): requires a multimedia capable mobile phone, and Internet connection and text messaging with your service provider. Any text messaging charges are the user's responsibility. For information about supported phones visit www.xingtone.com

For video conferencing support: web camera, compatible sound card and speakers, microphone and broadband Internet connection. Any Internet charges are the user's responsibility. For information about supported equipment visit www.sightspeed.com

For Windows Media portable player support: player compatible with Windows Media Device Manager 9 or higher

For iPod support: iTunes 6.0.1 or higher

For PSP support: PSP firmware 2.6 or higher

For TiVo file support: TiVo Desktop 2.3 or higher

Broadband Internet connection required for LiveShare photo sharing features

UPnP compliant home network router for the LiveShare and MediaSpace features

Supported Input Formats:

Video: AVI, DV, HD-V, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, IFO/VOB, DivX, DivX HD, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, H.264, OpenDVD

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

Supported Output Formats:

Video: AVI, DV-AVI, HD-V, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DivX, DivX HD, WMV, WMV HD, H.264, MP4, 3GP

Audio: MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MPEG-1/2, M4A, AAC, Playlists (M3U, PLS, XSPF, WPL, HighMAT, MPV)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

Video disc formats: DVD, Video CD (VCD), Super Video CD (SVCD), Mini DVD, BDAV

Recordable Formats:

Supports all popular recordable formats: CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM, BD-R/RE, BD-R/RE DL

Supports popular image formats: ISO, C2D, and BIN/CUE

*Drag-to-Disc and CinePlayer do not run on Windows 2000.

** Does not copy encrypted or copy-protected discs

Frankly I can't imagine why the system specs are relative. The OS version perhaps but virtually all users have equipment more than capable of the basic levels of rendering and such that EMC provides.

Depends on what each persons definition of "basic levels of rendering" is. If it means for example, the ability to use all of the transitions, including the 3D ones, then it is of course very important. One has to have the hardware to handle it, which there are a lot of users out there that do not. The big piece of hardware that is important is the video adapter. Most onboard video does not fully support all of the functions of Directx 9, which the product requires to do a lot of the rendering. There are a lot of pc's in use, and still sold today, that this applies to, so that's one reaason why system specs are important.

Archived