• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ricktoronto

Illegal Request/snese Code 0x26 Won't Burn +dl From Image

Question

Is Toast making DVD-9 (DL) image files that it then cannot burn? I am using a LaCie 16X D2 drive with Firewire and I cannot burn 7.8GB DVD image made from Toast compressing a new DVD video from 8.6GB to 7.8 GB.

It will burn DVD non-DL in + and - and will burn data to a Fuji +DL disk just not the .toast image file it made.

The messages are the drive reports:

Sense Key Illegal Request

Sense Code 0x26

Invalid Field in Parameter List.

The firmware and such is all up to date on the drive (which added Fuji disk support, formerly only Verbatim).

21 answers to this question

I was having the same problem on Toast 6 and asked for about 2 months with no answer other than to upgrade to Toast 7. Which I spent the money and did. Still having the same issue. It seems like nobody can answer the question.

I continue to have the same error message with one (multi-part) Video_TS file using Toast 7 up to the current version 7.1.2 using a Pioneer DVR-109 with up-to-date firmware and Verbatim DL media, among others.

I made a disc image of the file which came out at 7.82 GB when I do a get info, but I get another error message if I attempt to burn the .dmg saying that it is 8 GB and only 7.96 GB are available. For some reason the compression (Popcorn 1) in Toast will not work and neither will Popcorn when run separately.

Disc Utility does not seem to like the file either, even though it was used to create the disc image from the Video_TS file.

I can't seem to get a handle on whatever it is that is the problem.

I am having the same issue with a Pioneer DVR_111D, ( F/W 1.29), externial via usb port on a Macbbok pro 17 inch core 2 duo, using toast 7.1.2. It works on the internal drive just fine, however usng the external drive it will not burn dual layer media. I have tried 2 different of the same above drives, and 2 different media brands(+R DL Verbatim and Memorex +R DL). It will read DVD's Correctly and Burn single layer +r TY disc's. I also get the same error's. Does anyone have an idea ? I can't come up with anyting after doing about 4 hours of research on the net.

Please help........

Thanks

I too am receiving the same error. I have successfully burned Video_TS folders of 7.81GB so I assume my process is good and my hardware is fine.

Now I'm trying to burn a different batch of content. The Video_TS folder is slightly smaller at 7.72GG and can be played back from the hard disk using Apple's DVD player.

Here's what I'm using:

PowerBook G4 w/ Mac OS X 10.4.8

Fresh install of Toast 7.1.2

Setup for DVD-ROM (UDF)

Plextor PX-716A burner via Firewire with Firmware 1.10 (most recent)

Verbatim DVD+R DL rated for 2.4X

Inserting the DL media, selecting 2X speed, and Toast starts to load the cache and almost imediately, the following error dialog is displayed:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x26

INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST

I've tried creating a disc image and burning that. Same error. I've tried creating DVD from Video_TS folder, same error. I've tried "best speed", 1X, and 4X...same result.

Does anyone have any idea? The only thing I've read is try different media; but supposedly Verbatim is the DL with which most people have had success. I've tried five different blank discs with the same result. Someone please help!

Thank you.

Does anyone have any idea? The only thing I've read is try different media; but supposedly Verbatim is the DL with which most people have had success. I've tried five different blank discs with the same result. Someone please help!

Thank you.

Puzzling. This could be a Firewire issue. I suggest downloading and applying the OS 10.4.8 combined system update for PowerPC Macs. This is a common fix for odd USB and Firewire issues that occur following incremental system updates. Let us know if this cures the problem.

Your drive should be fine with the Verbatim DL media.

Puzzling. This could be a Firewire issue. I suggest downloading and applying the OS 10.4.8 combined system update for PowerPC Macs. This is a common fix for odd USB and Firewire issues that occur following incremental system updates. Let us know if this cures the problem.

Your drive should be fine with the Verbatim DL media.

tsantee,

I can not speak for the others, but I have tried burning the files that generate the error message from my boot drive also. It made no difference.

I have not run the combined updater again as yet and so can not speak to that...it never hurts and sometimes helps with thing that may have been messed up with an upgrade which is why I always use the combined update rather than letting the update run automatically.

I have no idea what the error message means, but there are enough other problems with Toast handling media that I would not be surprised that this is just another. My experience with media has led me to believe that it is much poorer quality than most people imagine. I do not think that this problem is a media related issue though, but I have no way of proving that other than to surmise that it is not because it happened when using a wide variety of media, including Verbatim, which has generally worked well for me.

I recently found another application to burn a file that Toast could not handle.

Cheers,

Richard

Edit: Just to clarify, I previously used a FW 800 HD to store the Video_TS files, using an internal boot HD and internal optical drive to burn the DVD. I have used the internal boot HD to store the Video_TS and have continued to use the internal optical drive with no difference in result. Therefore, I have concluded that the problem is not the result of a Firewire issue, at least in my experience.

The problem, in my view is how Toast deals with a number of problems such as defective media (there is a lot more of it out there than you may be taking into account and an application should be expected to deal with such a predictable occurrence better than Toast does). There are some other issues where Toast's behavior is, quite simply, bizarre such as one instance where Toast decided that a file which was 7.8 GB in size was 8 GB and that the DL media only had 7.9 GB of space available and hence would not burn it...even with Popcorn.

Toast continues to fail to save the cache (multiplexed) as it has been stated to me that it is supposed to do. This results in wasted effort on the occasions when Toast does "let go" of defective media. when new media is inserted Toast will begin to multiplex the file all over again. Saving the file as a .Toast file creates a different naming of the file if you then burn it to a DVD. It also takes extra time to burn the file as a .Toast file and then burn it when Toast is supposed to maintain the cache file until Toast is closed.

I would suggest that the occurrence of these problems is not as uncommon as you may believe. The reporting of these problems is probably uncommon due to the poor support which Roxio provides. I was at a user group meeting this week and the presenter of an evaluation of Toast 7 was very (justifiably) annoyed with Roxio because the registration on the Roxio web site to gain access to updates would not work and his email address was "already taken" so he could not reregister and no one at Roxio would respond to his request for assistance. I have experienced this in the past and it does cut down on people reporting problems, but not the occurrence of the problem itself. Needless to say the evaluation of Toast 7 was colored by the reviewers bad experiences.

When I get a chance I will reinstall the OS 10.4.8 combined updater just to see if it makes any difference. (I have used this "trick" in the past to deal with some issues, but I have my doubts that it is at the core of this issue. Nonetheless I will try it and see.)

Edited by richard_briscoe

I have done every check/test and more and NOTHING WORKS WITH TOAST 7.1.2!!!! you need to fix this issue in toast beacuse I can assure you it is not somebody else who should be working on this other than Roxio. Please fix this issue, this is taking too long for roxio non action support. The first step is admitting there is an issue tha you should be working on......

Richard

I have done every check/test and more and NOTHING WORKS WITH TOAST 7.1.2!!!! you need to fix this issue in toast beacuse I can assure you it is not somebody else who should be working on this other than Roxio. Please fix this issue, this is taking too long for roxio non action support. The first step is admitting there is an issue tha you should be working on......

Richard

:)

I have a similar problem, after performing some trial and error after purchasing Toast 7, it appears that the problem lies specifically with the compression. I can successfully burn using DVD-ROM (UDF) or using DVD from VIDEO_TS as long as there is no compression. The minute I go past 4.3GB (sorry no dual-layer for me yet), it gives the "INVALID FIELD IN CDB" error when trying to write to the disc. I opened a ticket, and am hoping.....

Powermac G5 dual 1.8GHz

3GB Ram

Dual 250GB drives

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082B:

Firmware Revision: C03D

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 0 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

IS ANYONE FROM ROXIO GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS OR DO WE HAVE TO START A CLASS ACTION FOR ANYTHING TO GET DONE> Roxio , start working on this, toast 7 will not burn any DL dics of mine!!!! I have asked for help 10 times now and all Roxio "helpers' sit around and do nothing, which makes me believe that either they know this issue and have zero fixes for it OR they don't know about it and just don't care. Whatever the case, this website is now loaded with requests to fix this issue> Roxio, why are you doing nothing? John care to answer or anyone from roxio? this is such a mess , it is almost funny, repeat almost funny, to bad I have now wasted $50.00 in DL media just trying to get this to work!!!!!!!!!!

pissed off any looking for any action from roxio

Edited by brewcrew9

:huh: Same error here with Toast v7.1.2. (Mac OS 10.4.8@G5 DP, 2,5 Gb RAM) trying to burn a DL DVD+R (Verbatim) with videomaterial from the EyeTV Library. The internal PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D (with Firmware Revision: 1.17) drive produces this message:

Sense Key Illegal Request

Sense Code 0x26

Invalid Field in Parameter List

A couple of months ago, I had zero problems with burning a DL DVD. But time goes on, and this thread confirms my current situation with Toast; and, according to the Tech Doc, in Toast v8 it's the same issue.

:) I noticed also that while running in simulation mode, Toast was actually writing on the disc, which is new to me when I aborted the process halfway, and a bitter suprise as I could just throw away that disk, and they aren't cheap.

Well, perhaps I need to burn everything in iDVD and forget about Toast altogether, but the combination with EyeTV is quite attractive.

For now, it's depressing!

Edited by Jermac

I have 2-Pioneer 110-Ds flashed to 110(Firmware 1.41), hooked up to an iMac intel by firewire hub and I can burn +r DLs with both. I use Verbatims and I burn at no faster than 4x. I am using Toast 7.1.2 . I don't think it is Toast that is causing you your problem.

Edited by lakewoodlawnman

That's an interesting comparison, thanks for sharing!

I am currently contacting Pioneer about this error message and to check which media this particular drive supports. I would guess that Verbatim is on their preferred media list. I will check back in with the results.

I have done every check/test and more and NOTHING WORKS WITH TOAST 7.1.2!!!!

Richard

After creating almost 10 DVD+R/DL coasters using *2* different (and brand new) burners (Sony 830UL/T and

Samsung [forget the exact model]) and 2 different brands of media (Memorex and GQ [rebadged Sony I think])

I have been unable to burn DL discs recently.

It's just a 7.5GB data (DVDROM) image. Not a DVD-Video.

What happens is that the 'burn' WORKS. But the VERIFY fails with "I/O error". IF I look in the kernel log files

I see device errors like this (and I get the SAME error on 2 different systems when trying to read the DL disc):

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x3e, ASCQ = 0x02

disk2: I/O error.

Brand new drives, quad G5 with ECC memory, the 'burn' works, but EVERY single verify for the last 8 or 10

attempts fails. If I take the disc to another system with a DL drive and attempt to read some (but not all) files

on the disc the same error as above happens.

I *used* to be able to burn and verify DL discs - but something in the last couple months has changed. I'll

try a 3rd brand of media and hope for the best.

BUT what other burning programs/software is available for OSX?

Memorex and GQ are 2 of the worse brands on the market. I'm not surprised you get verify errors. The media is bad.

It goes bad sitting in the cakebox in a cool/dim place? Was working fine until a couple months ago - hadn't

needed to burn a DL disc in a while, then last night 100% failure rate. Even junk media would give 1 out of 5

And why doesn't it fail on the WRITE portion? And why not a ECC error on sector or READ error? Why a

0x3e error which means 'logical unit has not self-configured yet'?

Bad media maybe, and I'll try another brand. The nice thing about the GQ was that it was full surface inkjet

printable (and USED to work fine). Maybe it has rotted sitting on the shelf :)

It goes bad sitting in the cakebox in a cool/dim place? Was working fine until a couple months ago - hadn't

needed to burn a DL disc in a while, then last night 100% failure rate. Even junk media would give 1 out of 5

And why doesn't it fail on the WRITE portion? And why not a ECC error on sector or READ error? Why a

0x3e error which means 'logical unit has not self-configured yet'?

Bad media maybe, and I'll try another brand. The nice thing about the GQ was that it was full surface inkjet

printable (and USED to work fine). Maybe it has rotted sitting on the shelf :)

FINALLY burned a DVD+R/DL disc! Not in the format I wanted (ISO9660) but success in any form is welcome.

"Finder" using a burnfolder was able to BURN AND VERIFY a GQ disc.

Toast 5.2.3 + Sony or Samsung burner produced a coaster.

Toast 6.1 + Memorex burner produced a coaster.

Toast 7.1.2 + Sony or Samsung burner produced a coaster

Do we see a pattern here?

OSX ("Finder") + Samsung produced a VERIFIED good burn.

So, all I need to do is find a way to burn an image file to disc using Finder and I'll be all set.

The pattern I see is the media doesn't work. I would be very careful trusting a verified disc from the finder. Verify can be done many ways and Toast is very thorough in it's checks. If you are getting an error, you have a problem someplace.

The Sony and Samsung drives also have firmware issues and it's best to update the firmware.

Also, if you are burning a DVD video image in Toast, the layer break must be set. This can't always be done from an image. I suggest mount the image and buring in DVD-ROM format if that is the case.

The pattern I see is the media doesn't work. I would be very careful trusting a verified disc from the finder. Verify can be done many ways and Toast is very thorough in it's checks. If you are getting an error, you have a problem someplace.

The Sony and Samsung drives also have firmware issues and it's best to update the firmware.

Also, if you are burning a DVD video image in Toast, the layer break must be set. This can't always be done from an image. I suggest mount the image and buring in DVD-ROM format if that is the case.

The verification has, in all 12 or 15 coasters, failed at the ~50% mark. This is not a DVD Video. It is a DVD ROM

and it's Toast's job as the burning software, to do the layer break.

I can indeed trust the Finder verify in this case. I mounted the volume and computed MD5 checksums on all

the files. Guess what? The MD5 checksums match the original files. I don't know about you but to me that is

conclusive proof that the files on the DVDROM are the same as the files on in my directory.

Interesting mention of the layer break though - thanks for pointing that out. It gives a BIG clue to the Toast

bug. IF I burn DVD-Video then Toast does a good job of computing the layer break - I rarely have a problem

when burning dual layer DVD Video.

However, this is the first 8GB DVD-ROM that I have burned in some time and it is consistently failing. I

created the ISO9660 image and am attempting to burn the .img file to DL media from a ISO9660 image

file that is 8+GB in size.

And it is consistently failing at sector 2,016,200 or so - almost exactly 50% of the way thru the data. That

same location has come up several times. At about the 1/2 way mark the verify fails.

I think Toast works great for DVD Video and does the layer break well. However, if you have a DL sized

DVDROM image then the burn will appear to be successful but the verify will fail at the layer break point.

Now that I have a better feel (and thanks for reminding me of the layer break!) for the problem I will use

the linux system to burn 8+GB DVD-ROM images and leave the DVD-Video to Toast.

Edited by sms000

Toast has no way of setting the layer break from an image since it doesn't know what's in the image. It just writes the data as is. The best way to do this is by mounting the image and then using Disc Copy format to select the mounted image in the pop up. Toast can parse the data in the image if needed to optimize the layer break.

Also, for DVD+R DL, the drive sets the layer break. It burns 50% on layer 0, 50% on layer 1. There is no way around that. If the disc is very close to the max for a DVD+R DL (7.98GB), I'm not surprised it fails verification at the outer edge of the disc.

Ask any pro and they will tell you to not burn to the edge because the recording layer gets bad close to the edge. You will have a lot more errors out there.

Verification can errors can also be a sign of bad RAM.

I would do a file compare of the files burned to the disc and the mount image to make sure they compare OK.

Toast has no way of setting the layer break from an image since it doesn't know what's in the image. It just writes the data as is. The best way to do this is by mounting the image and then using Disc Copy format to select the mounted image in the pop up. Toast can parse the data in the image if needed to optimize the layer break.

Also, for DVD+R DL, the drive sets the layer break. It burns 50% on layer 0, 50% on layer 1. There is no way around that. If the disc is very close to the max for a DVD+R DL (7.98GB), I'm not surprised it fails verification at the outer edge of the disc.

Ask any pro and they will tell you to not burn to the edge because the recording layer gets bad close to the edge. You will have a lot more errors out there.

Verification can errors can also be a sign of bad RAM.

I would do a file compare of the files burned to the disc and the mount image to make sure they compare OK.

Obviously, since I'm the new kid on the block here I can't know anything. Such as there existing commands

that a program can issue to do the layer switch - the drive will do it if the program does not but once the program

has been told "Burn this many bytes" it has for DVD+R/DL all the information it needs. DVD-R (minus) DL is

different and obnoxious in this regard but for DVD+R/DL the block numbering is sequential - no gaps.

You did see that I said ECC ram earlier, right?

And it's NOT 50% on layer-0 and 50% on layer-1. The two layers are not the same size. But then I don't

know anything.

I still maintain it's a bug in Toast that it can't figure out for DVD+R/DL how many bytes will fit on layer-0

(which BTW must be larger than layer-1) and do a layer switch.

I'll go away now that I've figured out how to work around the problem

Oh, and did you see where I mentioned that I *DID* do a MD5 checksum verification? Or were you too busy

assuming new posters are incapable of knowing anything or encountering a real bug.

Good bye.

Yes I saw you did a checksum and I saw you had ECC ram. But the checksum was on the finder burned disc, not the Toast burned disc. Samsung and Sony both have DVD+R DL problems with the layer break.

DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL work differently.

DVD+R DL requires that layer 0 and layer 1 be equal. There is no way around this. The drive burn 50% layer 0 and 50% layer 1. The software has no control over this as it is all handled in firmware. If you burn 4 GB on a DL disc, layer 0 will have 2GB, layer 1 will have 2GB. DVD+R DL also requires that the tracks be OTP. PTP is not supported. When burning DVD Video, Toast will scan the video contents and set the layer break in the IFO file to non-seamless and find a valid error correction block in the MPEG. It sets that someplace at the 50% mark. The video layer break can only be set if Toast can scan the contents. This only happens from a mounted image, Video format or DVD-ROM format. A DVD image will not be scanned

DVD-R DL requires layer 0 to be completely burned before layer 1. If 6GB of data is burned to DVD-R DL, 4.3GB is on layer 0 and the remain in on layer 1. Again, the firmware handles this and Toast has no control. DVD-R DL are poor for video because the layer break doesn't work correctly. It's possible a 7.9GB DVD image will not fit on a DVD-R DL because the error correction block doesn't fall in a valid area and the resulting disc will be over the size of the disc.

DVD-ROM that are master can have even layers and the layer break can be set any place as long as it is on a ECB, etc. However, if you look at just about any DVD they all have layer break in a way that layer 0 and 1 are equal. Master DVD can have OTP and PTP, but PTP is rare. Mastered DVD can also have seamless and non-seamless gaps, but DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL require non-seamless.

As for Disc Image, Toast will create a disc image any size you want. It depends on the format. Also, some content simply can be compressed (audio for example) when re-compressing.

I've burned many (several 100) DVD+R DL in Pioneer drives and they always burn and verify correctly.

Both Samsung and Sony drives have firmware bugs that do not correctly return the write speeds and capacity of media. Samsung has fixed these issues in some of their drives firmware. Sony probably has too. If the firmware is out of date, it's best to update it.

The Sony 830 firmware should be SS23. I don't recall which Samsung drive you have.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php