sheabo35

MyDVD Won't Encode

Question

I have completed a number of projects successfully, but every so often I have a project that plays fine when I preview it in MyDVD, but when I start to burn it, the preview window shows a short amount of the video and then just shows a grey MPEG screen. The project continues to encode, but shortly after just stops and when I cancel it I get a message that there was a problem and it has to shut down.

I am taking old VHS tapes, capturing them using ATI AIW 9600XT and then editing and preparing them using Roxio 9. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Tim

10 answers to this question

I have completed a number of projects successfully, but every so often I have a project that plays fine when I preview it in MyDVD, but when I start to burn it, the preview window shows a short amount of the video and then just shows a grey MPEG screen. The project continues to encode, but shortly after just stops and when I cancel it I get a message that there was a problem and it has to shut down.

I am taking old VHS tapes, capturing them using ATI AIW 9600XT and then editing and preparing them using Roxio 9. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Tim

The gray mpg2 screen indicates that the program sees the file as a compliant format and will not re-encode. There may be one file that the program doesn't like. Try outputting the files to a mpg2 file from VideoWave. There may be something in the editing that is causing a problem. If you output to mpg2 fro DVD best quality and there is a problem, the encoding will stop. Note the time and troubleshoot the project around that time frame.

I tried going back to Videowave and outputting as an MPEG, but it does the same thing. It shows video for about 5 seconds and then goes gray. I deleted about 10 seconds from the beginning, but it still doesn't work. The entire production is from one tape, so it's not like it's from different sources. If there is corruption I assume it's from the Videowave part of the production. Any other ideas / suggestions?

Tim

I tried going back to Videowave and outputting as an MPEG, but it does the same thing. It shows video for about 5 seconds and then goes gray. I deleted about 10 seconds from the beginning, but it still doesn't work. The entire production is from one tape, so it's not like it's from different sources. If there is corruption I assume it's from the Videowave part of the production. Any other ideas / suggestions?

Tim

Gray is good, see my original post. What do you mean by "still doesn't work"? Encoding take a long time on some computers. Does your meet the minimum specifications?

What format did you capture the video in -AVI or mpg2 or some other format? Did you use Media Import?

Looks like that card is supported.so you should have been able to capture properly.

Here it comes again - did you update the drivers for that ATI card? How about the latest DirectX 9c?

Edited by sknis

I captured as an MPEG 2 using the same settings that I used forall the other videos that did work. I bring it into Videowave edit it and then immediately send it to MyDVD to finish it. This has happened to three tapes in the last week and I've also successfully made five others in the same time period.

One of them I actually recaptured and went through the process and ended up with the same result.

I guess I'm not understanding why the finished products will play on preview, but not encode.

Tim

I captured as an MPEG 2 using the same settings that I used forall the other videos that did work. I bring it into Videowave edit it and then immediately send it to MyDVD to finish it. This has happened to three tapes in the last week and I've also successfully made five others in the same time period.

One of them I actually recaptured and went through the process and ended up with the same result.

I guess I'm not understanding why the finished products will play on preview, but not encode.

Tim

i had the same problem with grey but fixed it with altering audio settings u can but try

I tried going back to Videowave and outputting as an MPEG, but it does the same thing. It shows video for about 5 seconds and then goes gray.
Is this what you are seeing? If so , then this is a GOOD THING. This means that MyDVD is NOT re-rendering your MPEG 2 files.

post-49-1165297098.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting. Previous times this has happened I've allowed the rending to continue, but at about 55% done, it just stops. No reason is given.

I have transferred over 20 tapes (recorded from TV) to DVD, but only a few have had this problem. I use the same setting on them all.

Any of the ones that have been successful have shown the movie in the encoding box for the entire movie. Are there times I should just let it continue to encode when the box goes gray?

Tim

The gray indicates that the file is already DVD compliant and MyDVD does not need to encode it. If you DO see the video in the preview, then MyDVD is actually rendering the video to make it DVD compliant.

If you are working with MPEG 2 files, the gray box is what you want to see. If it stopped at 55%, then there may be something wrong with the file at that point or some other reason.

I tried allowing the burn to continue after the image disappeared. Both failed. One stopped 50% through. The other one completed, but the pixilation made it unwatchable. there must be something in the recording aspect that MyDVD doesn't like. Fortunately this is not frequent.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Tim