Very annoyed

thibodeauxmartin@bellsouth.net

Question

O.k. I'm very annoyed with Roxio now. I'm having issues with the software (easy media creator 8). I can not get it working. I've tried contacting Roxio about these problems to no avail.Roxio wants me to pay $35 dollars for me to call in order to get their defective software working properly. When I explain to them that the software is defective they insist it is not - but it does not work correctly which I believe is the only qualification for a defective product. I try to burn discs with mydvd and get an error message that says videowave8 has encountered an error and needs to close. The application then closes. I have a brand-new hp dv9000 laptop with an intel core-2 duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, and an nvidia graphics card. I searched the knowledge base and it said to download and install a hotfix (the nullmixer hotfix) so I did although I'm not having issues with nullmixer. I then downloaded the update for the software on Roxio's website and received an error message when attempting to install - The upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows installer because the program to be updated may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version. I downloaded the update for easy media creator 8. Now when I try to go to "Create dvd" it gives the error "the certificate is missing or corrupt. So the update has just created more issues. In short - anyone thinking about purchasing should be wary - the price tag may say 100 dollars but if you want to actually use the software (something I thought was obvious when I purchased it) you may end up spending more than that on service calls to get it operating, and Roxio has been of absolutely no help to me.

8 answers to this question

FYI, I deleted the latest post from thibodeauxmartin. Let me explain how software support works as we obviously have a communication problem.

Only premium support costs $35, that is talking to a tech on the phone and it costs us by far the most out of any support we offer. Note: if you have EMC 9, this same phone support is free.

Email (if your Roxanne session gives you no info, an email support option is avilable), Chat, Forums are also free and allow communication with employees directly as well as the forums allowing other users to help out.

Knowledge Base and Roxanne are also free, but dont only tap our reserve of knowledge that has been published and dont allow you to communicate directly with an employee or anyone else.

All that being said, I would like to see your reply to the 5 points from the previous poster. The answer you gave that I deleted seemed to imply you just ignored what they posted.

O.k. I'm very annoyed with Roxio now. I'm having issues with the software (easy media creator 8). I can not get it working. I've tried contacting Roxio about these problems to no avail.Roxio wants me to pay $35 dollars for me to call in order to get their defective software working properly. When I explain to them that the software is defective they insist it is not - but it does not work correctly which I believe is the only qualification for a defective product. I try to burn discs with mydvd and get an error message that says videowave8 has encountered an error and needs to close. The application then closes. I have a brand-new hp dv9000 laptop with an intel core-2 duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, and an nvidia graphics card. I searched the knowledge base and it said to download and install a hotfix (the nullmixer hotfix) so I did although I'm not having issues with nullmixer. I then downloaded the update for the software on Roxio's website and received an error message when attempting to install - The upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows installer because the program to be updated may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version. I downloaded the update for easy media creator 8. Now when I try to go to "Create dvd" it gives the error "the certificate is missing or corrupt. So the update has just created more issues. In short - anyone thinking about purchasing should be wary - the price tag may say 100 dollars but if you want to actually use the software (something I thought was obvious when I purchased it) you may end up spending more than that on service calls to get it operating, and Roxio has been of absolutely no help to me.

ok after reading this post

firstly sounds like

1. you have the download version?, if so it will not need the service pack as that pack was only meant for the first released version (sold in a box , version 8.0) as the downloaded version was already 8.5, so trying to add a service pack that makes the boxed version 8.5 will not work , and the message you get is correct.

2. the issue you have with burning in mydvd 8 are probably related to ether an already PRE-INSTALLED (by HP) software product that dose D2D (drag to disk) or CD burning software., and id agree with the Roxio techs that the software is not defective, as there are millions of users world wide who use and have the EMC8 and EMC9 products running just fine, the only user who have issues we see here , and that amounts to a few hundred over time.

3. you need to calm down a bit here mate... and the reason why is that this site IS NOT A ROXIO TECHNICAL SUPPORT SITE??? it is a user forum , RUN by users just like you, so going off at Roxio here go's on shut ears, and all i can suggest is that you place a bit of info (like you see in my signature) in you reply post and let a few technical users here try to help you.

4. a few things to remember,

New laptop or new PC means nill when it comes to software, and ill clarify why...

NO software maker can make a product that runs smoothly with every product released in the world, just look at Microsoft's history?, or look at Nero issues or look at the problems created with IE7? ect,,, or Spy-ware or Virus?, or the big one , driver manufactures, the release drivers that screw software apps Dayle, so you need to be aware of this.

5. ok, now that you know those facts , lets see if after posting you info , and the error messages, if USERS here can help?, or if you are still pissed then by all means carry on the way you are going and deal with the technical support page and not here... as people whom get aggressive get banned and id hate to see that happen without sorting your issue out.

Don't take this personally, I'm just saying a few facts... and WE as USERS are here to help

And to point 5 - I thought it was obvious so I didn't feel the need to respond. I purchased the software with the expectation that it would work properly. I spent a lot of personal time trying to troubleshoot using the knowledge base and ask Roxanne functions. I don't believe it is the responsibility of users to ensure that the software works correctly - I thought that was the manufacturer's responsibility. I guess Roxio's sales strategies are somewhat different from any other successful business. And if you decide to ban a user with a valid complaint about your garbage product - then so be it. I've gotten no other help from Roxio. There are many forums that I can post complaints about Roxio that you can't delete or ban me from. Don't put up a forum for a defective product and not expect complaints.

And to point 5 - I thought it was obvious so I didn't feel the need to respond. I purchased the software with the expectation that it would work properly. I spent a lot of personal time trying to troubleshoot using the knowledge base and ask Roxanne functions. I don't believe it is the responsibility of users to ensure that the software works correctly - I thought that was the manufacturer's responsibility. I guess Roxio's sales strategies are somewhat different from any other successful business. And if you decide to ban a user with a valid complaint about your garbage product - then so be it. I've gotten no other help from Roxio. There are many forums that I can post complaints about Roxio that you can't delete or ban me from. Don't put up a forum for a defective product and not expect complaints.

Deleted, my mistake.

I think that the OP's computer far exceeds the minimum requirements, because he/she listed them in his/her first post. It was easy to miss because of the lack of paragraph structure in the first post.

Yep, it was easy to miss mixed up with all the rants. I apologize to the OP.

I did respond to some of the points made by the user who responded - apparently my e-mail wasn't read completely by those who deleted it. So let me put the numbers next to it.

1. I have a retail box version purchased at circuit city - which is why I am so angry that the update caused problems

2.I do not have any pre-installed burning software. And I would disagree with the fact that it is not defective. It doesn't work. And not simply for me. Look at the BBB rating for Roxio - I have - and have also filed a complaint

3. Apparently I got Roxio's attention as my last post was DELETED by Roxio

4. No software maker can make a product that runs on all computers - but the box says it Runs on XP which is what I have so - as a consumer - I expect it to run on that platform. I don't know - call me crazy

Archived