• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Startup Error Fix?

blackmaddog

Question

I have installed EMC 3 times now, the last after completing the clean uninstall procedure. I can not open any of the EMC 9 programs. They all give me the windows generic error screen "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." when opening. Since installing EMC the first time, my computer takes 3 or 4 minutes to shutdown.

Has anyone figured out a fix to get EMC to work? I have read the recent forum sites and have not seen much to help other than the clean install procedure.

I am have a Dell Inspiron 6000, XP, Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz, 1.24 GB RAM. Before installing EMC the last time I ran scan disk and defrag and disabled all startup programs.

4 answers to this question

I have installed EMC 3 times now, the last after completing the clean uninstall procedure. I can not open any of the EMC 9 programs. They all give me the windows generic error screen "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." when opening. Since installing EMC the first time, my computer takes 3 or 4 minutes to shutdown.

Has anyone figured out a fix to get EMC to work? I have read the recent forum sites and have not seen much to help other than the clean install procedure.

I am have a Dell Inspiron 6000, XP, Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz, 1.24 GB RAM. Before installing EMC the last time I ran scan disk and defrag and disabled all startup programs.

That Celeron will be laboring to run the software. What video card is in your machine, and more important, at what resolution is it running?

That Celeron will be laboring to run the software. What video card is in your machine, and more important, at what resolution is it running?

I think this is my video card: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family. It is set at the maximum resolution of 1280 by 800 True Color (60 Hz).

I also think celeron might be a problem - but this is wahat I used on my dell computer:

These are step by step instructions on how I was able to resolve EMC9 installation problems, hang-ups, and crunching of the hard drive on my brand new Dell computer:

1) Defragged my machine,

2) Clean installed EMC9 following instructions on, http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR; however, before I re-installed EMC9 in those instructions, I was suspicious of any other files that had reference to Roxio and or Sonic on my computer (since new Dell computers come with a Roxio pre-installed software). I did a simple word search of the entire C drive for Roxio and Sonic. Sure enough, (even though according to the instructions everything was supposed to have been cleaned) there were plenty of them (over 150). I renamed all the Roxio files to extension *.old. I left sonic files in tact, since they could have included the word Panasonic, and I suspected my monitor was a Panasonic, and so I did not want to screw this up.

3) During the clean installation I found that the KEY was not working – so I followed instruction given in http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000116CR and downloaded a patch to correct this,

4) Before I opened EMC9, or any application within EMC9 I disabled in msconfig start-up all of Roxio, DMXLauncher, DrgToDsc and RoxWatchTray9. In services I also disabled Roxio Hard Drive Watch. And finally, in sevices.msc I set all of roxio to Manual, Roxio Hard drive Watch having been disabled through the msconfig. You want to make sure that RoxWatchTray9 is disabled, as it causes most of the problems!

5) Have not had a problem since – mind you the whole thing took about 20 hours of trial and error to accomplish. Somewhat disappointing that I had to go through all of this when you buy application software.

I also think celeron might be a problem - but this is wahat I used on my dell computer:

These are step by step instructions on how I was able to resolve EMC9 installation problems, hang-ups, and crunching of the hard drive on my brand new Dell computer:

1) Defragged my machine,

2) Clean installed EMC9 following instructions on, http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR; however, before I re-installed EMC9 in those instructions, I was suspicious of any other files that had reference to Roxio and or Sonic on my computer (since new Dell computers come with a Roxio pre-installed software). I did a simple word search of the entire C drive for Roxio and Sonic. Sure enough, (even though according to the instructions everything was supposed to have been cleaned) there were plenty of them (over 150). I renamed all the Roxio files to extension *.old. I left sonic files in tact, since they could have included the word Panasonic, and I suspected my monitor was a Panasonic, and so I did not want to screw this up.

3) During the clean installation I found that the KEY was not working – so I followed instruction given in http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000116CR and downloaded a patch to correct this,

4) Before I opened EMC9, or any application within EMC9 I disabled in msconfig start-up all of Roxio, DMXLauncher, DrgToDsc and RoxWatchTray9. In services I also disabled Roxio Hard Drive Watch. And finally, in sevices.msc I set all of roxio to Manual, Roxio Hard drive Watch having been disabled through the msconfig. You want to make sure that RoxWatchTray9 is disabled, as it causes most of the problems!

5) Have not had a problem since – mind you the whole thing took about 20 hours of trial and error to accomplish. Somewhat disappointing that I had to go through all of this when you buy application software.

It seems Roxio strikes again - each release seems to be getting harder and harder to get working.

I also have this same problem, the 1st time I installed the software over the top of suite 8 and everything worked except the video related programs, I then followed the various 'fixes' available, and I now have nothing at all that works. Emailing support got me the reply of how to activate the product - which would be fine if it would even run.

My system should be more than capable of running this software

Windows MCE2005

All updates

Latest chipset and video drivers

Nvidia 430 chipset with AMD 64 4000+ CPU

1 Gb DDR2 800

1.5 Tb Hard drive in Raid 0 arrays

GeForce 7300GT GPU

While these specs are looking a little tired nowdays almost any new software should still run fine with this machine

IS THIS A PROBLEM RELATED TO MEDIA CENTER EDITIONS OF WINDOWS or is it all versions having this problem

No problems at all with any other software on this machine before or after attempting to get this software to run.

Archived