No AVI recognition in My DVD

hydrant29

Question

Would appreciate assist. Since upgrading to EMC 9.0, My DVD does not allow import of .avi files (red circle with line thru it). These divx/xvid files will play in Windows Media Player so "assume" I have correct codecs installed! When I experienced this prob with the now-uninstalled EMC 7.5, with your advise I executed the "prefub" prog which corrected prob. So, I again executed it in the Roxio 9.0 folder, rebooted, but did not work. Should I have executed it in a more specific folder? Is the "prefub" prog only for the 7.5 version? If so, any suggestions please. Thank you.

Separate question: can I disable "drag to disc" in my "Startup Pro" program or does it need to be running?

7 answers to this question

Would appreciate assist. Since upgrading to EMC 9.0, My DVD does not allow import of .avi files (red circle with line thru it). These divx/xvid files will play in Windows Media Player so "assume" I have correct codecs installed! When I experienced this prob with the now-uninstalled EMC 7.5, with your advise I executed the "prefub" prog which corrected prob. So, I again executed it in the Roxio 9.0 folder, rebooted, but did not work. Should I have executed it in a more specific folder? Is the "prefub" prog only for the 7.5 version? If so, any suggestions please. Thank you.

Separate question: can I disable "drag to disc" in my "Startup Pro" program or does it need to be running?

Prefup sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Did you update Divx? That may have caused the problem.

See this sticky note for some info.

In addition to what Paul said, you can disable Drag to Disc by going to Start/Run and type in msconfig. On the next screen, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck Drag to Disc, RoxWatch, and anything else that you don't need at startup.

Click on Apply, then OK, and reboot. You will get a screen once you get into Windows. Put a check in the box at the lower left side of the screen so you won't keep seeing that screen at startup.

Prefup sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Did you update Divx? That may have caused the problem.

See this sticky note for some info.

Have run into prob. 1st of all, my win/sys32 contains the lower case "divxdec.ax" which I understand is the Divx version. After copying it to a safe place I started the "Repair/Change" of EMC 9.0. Part way thru, a dialogue box stated it could not find the ".msi" file and repair prog could not continue. A check of entire HD could not find that file either. So, apparently back to square one.! Do I understand correctly that if I could somehow obtain the "DivDec.ax" (EMC 9 version), I could just copy it to the Roxio Shared folder as noted in the sticky note? or does that particular file need to "installed" rather than merely copying it? Any thoughts? Thank you.

Am still having problems and wonder if anyone has any other suggestions. I still have available the install programs for EMC 7.5, EMC 9.0 (both purchased online!) and Divx. Can I resolve issue by uninstalling the currently running EMC 9 and also the Divx program and then reinstalling both in a certain manner?? In other words, start clean. Or, would I run into the same prob I have now? where the Divx conflicts with EMC9? What if I were to install EMC 7.5 instead of 9? I do not recall that Divx conflicted with EMC 7.5! I guess I'm asking for input.

To recap my situation: I followed the instructions in the so called sticky. My win/sys32 contains the lower case "divxdec.ax" which I understand is the Divx version. After copying it to a safe place I started the "Repair/Change" of EMC 9.0. Part way thru, a dialogue box stated it could not find the ".msi" file and repair prog could not continue. A check of entire HD could not find that file either. Do I understand correctly that if I could somehow obtain the "DivDec.ax" (EMC 9 version), I could just copy it to the Roxio Shared folder as noted in the sticky note? or does that particular file need to "installed" rather than merely copying it? Any thoughts? Thank you.

it's possible you have condec conflicts on your computer... do you have any codec pack installed?

I have the Divx Codec 6.4.0 in my Divx program folder. I recall that a few months ago I installed a codec pack I downloaded from the net but am unsure where it installed itself.

this may be the blind leading, but I had same/similar problem with .avi files (recorded tv) and had to render files to .mpg

Archived