• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Import .ifo/.vob Files From Dvd-video Structure

fnnajm

Question

I'm a newcomer. I'm starting slow, but am quite surprised that such a large tool suite as EMC8 does not (easily at least) allow me to do what I think should be a trivial first step: I have dubbed a home video from my VCR to a DVD recorder, so that it is now on DVD in the standard DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS) file structure, including a collection of .IFO and .VOB files. I have copied these files to my hard disc and I need to do simple editing on this "DVD" collection. I would like to be able to set the chapter markers. I would like to also be able to clip out some of the footage at the end of the movie.

Shouldn't these elementary steps be trivial? Am I missing something? Can someone please point me to how and where in EMC8 I can perform these steps. I have seen that with EMC7 there used to be a way to import .VOB, but I can't see the same options/features in EMC8.

I've read elsewhere that if I simply rename my .VOB file to .MPG that I can then simply edit it with EMC8 and other tools. I have tried that, and yes it works, but why should I live with a "hack" like this when I've just paid a ton of money for supposedly a professional tool suite. And, in any case, this would not solve my problem with setting the chapter markers.

Please help.

FNN

4 answers to this question

Use Capture (Media Import) to capture the DVD to your hard drive, and take the resulting file into VideoWave for editing. A piece of cake.

Thanks for taking time to respond, but I think you misunderstood my question. My files are *already* on the hard disc. They are not on a DVD. I have already copied all contents of the DVD onto my hard disc into a VIDEO_TS directory structure that mimics what there was on the DVD. Now, I want to import that movie from the hard disc directly into EMC8 for editing. Video Import seems to only look for "a device or source to import from" and I don't know how to tell it to read from my hard disc.

FNN

Thanks for taking time to respond, but I think you misunderstood my question. My files are *already* on the hard disc. They are not on a DVD. I have already copied all contents of the DVD onto my hard disc into a VIDEO_TS directory structure that mimics what there was on the DVD. Now, I want to import that movie from the hard disc directly into EMC8 for editing. Video Import seems to only look for "a device or source to import from" and I don't know how to tell it to read from my hard disc.

FNN

The only way that you are going to do the entire contents of that DVD, as one file, is to Capture it as an mpeg2 file. Not just copy it to the hard drive.

Well, it isn't the only way, but for what you want to do, it is the easiest way.

I'm a newcomer. I'm starting slow, but am quite surprised that such a large tool suite as EMC8 does not (easily at least) allow me to do what I think should be a trivial first step: I have dubbed a home video from my VCR to a DVD recorder, so that it is now on DVD in the standard DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS) file structure, including a collection of .IFO and .VOB files. I have copied these files to my hard disc and I need to do simple editing on this "DVD" collection. I would like to be able to set the chapter markers. I would like to also be able to clip out some of the footage at the end of the movie.

Shouldn't these elementary steps be trivial? Am I missing something? Can someone please point me to how and where in EMC8 I can perform these steps. I have seen that with EMC7 there used to be a way to import .VOB, but I can't see the same options/features in EMC8.

I've read elsewhere that if I simply rename my .VOB file to .MPG that I can then simply edit it with EMC8 and other tools. I have tried that, and yes it works, but why should I live with a "hack" like this when I've just paid a ton of money for supposedly a professional tool suite. And, in any case, this would not solve my problem with setting the chapter markers.

Please help.

FNN

Use Capture (Media Import) to capture the DVD to your hard drive, and take the resulting file into VideoWave for editing. A piece of cake.

Hello, I am new to EMC8 and have never posted before. I have the same problem. I have spent the past 2 days trying to sort this (amongst other problems,) out. I cannot import anything with media manager as it says there are no devices to capture from, and when I point it to the file on the hard drive containing the vob and ifo files it says that there are no media files in there. I have tried using My DVD to make menus for the DVD and I can extract the video-ts files from the folder on the hard drive for the menu but My DVD will randomly freeze when I am working with menus and will not shut down. When working with menu buttons most options are greyed out so I cannot make a "play all" button for instance and the preview pane will randomly go black (from previously showing me the menu page) with a white flash briefly showing. If I click play on the preview pane it will play the menu and play the videos but when I go back to the menu the preview pane is black and I can't use it. Also the part at the bottom showing how much space is being used on a dvd does not change and stays at 84.4 mb. I have updated my video driver and this has made no difference. I have tried using the help files but as most of the buttons are greyed out I am unable to follow the instructions. Nor can I import anything in VideoWave or Video Editor so I feel as if I am stuffed! I am using version 8081B16A ENU and am in the UK. My computer is well within the spec on the box. I have been using Roxio since v4 and have always found it good until now. Please can someone help, I really don't know what else to do.

Archived